Your thoughts on Wes Durham poll....

Where do you rank Wes Durham?

• Larry Munson didn't have anything on Wes.

Votes: 53 44.9%
  • Durham is a very solid announcer, well worth having.

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • Durham is serviceable. Ehh.

Votes: 13 11.0%
  • Wes really sucks. How about Tony Kornheiser?

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

GeorgiaTechFan

Flats Noob
I really like Wes Durham as an announcer. Curious to see where others stack him up.

I'd be perfectly fine with Wes spending another 25 years on the flats.

I don't like him very much as a radio announcer. Maybe he'd be better if listening while watching TV but I just find his style isn't conducive to radio, where you really trust the announcer to keep you informed on what exactly is going on on the field.

I like him a lot. He's got the emotion, definitely! Watch videos of Calvin's "catch" in Clemson '04, the fumble vs. FSU last year, and the play where Dwyer took 5 Dookies for a ride on his back...

I like him, and I like his voice a lot. Yeah, he lacks the "personal" feel that Munson had (sorry to compare... really, I am). Seems like LM would always say things like "Oh, we're real mad now, oh it just breaks your heart to watch them march up and down the field", and Wes is more of an analytical guy... I dunno...

Anyways, I like him. He's been with us for a while, and I hope he'll stay for a while longer.

Do most folks like or even mind the fact Wes is doing Falcons games?

I do wish Wes would be a bit more of a homer. I think he is to a point, but not like LM was.

I absolutely love Wes. Whenever I can I try to listen to his call of the game.

I love that he does the Falcons too. I listen to that too.

As far as personal feel, I feel like Wes has it. He is really passionate about and loves this team, this program, and this school.

Wes is awesome. I love him.

If you want to really appreciate Wes, try listening to a mutt game - awful

I'll say this much, atleast he knows the players' names. Roddy Smith and Preston Wright FTW!

I love Wes. He paints a beautiful picture of what's going on. I remember several years ago I was at a Q&A with him and the homer question was posed. He just said it's not his style to be over-the-top about it, but we was surprised that the questioner thought he wasn't a homer. He thinks it comes across more than clearly which side he's on when he calls a game. (I agree)

I think Wes will end up being one of the greatest in the business and I like him a lot, he's just not that upper echelon yet, not because of his talent, but because he's younger than many.

I think we are very lucky to have Wes, and the Falcons job is a great thing for us because it makes his total package of a job in Atlanta hard to top anywhere else.

I feel very fortunate to have a guy as passionate and fiery as Wes. I've never had any problems with him not getting all the information we need to us. On the contrary, I've always thought that he paints a rather vivid picture of the game.

I like him a lot. He's got the emotion, definitely! Watch videos of Calvin's "catch" in Clemson '04, the fumble vs. FSU last year, and the play where Dwyer took 5 Dookies for a ride on his back...

I feel very fortunate to have a guy as passionate and fiery as Wes. I've never had any problems with him not getting all the information we need to us. On the contrary, I've always thought that he paints a rather vivid picture of the game.

THIS.

Wes is perfect for GT. His being younger than many fits well with a rejuvination of this program under CPJ, and our hope to continually add to our fan base, which often begins with younger listeners, not to mention the extra energy not present in some of the 'older' announcers. He knows both the game and the conference too. Son of Woody at unc, he's watched the ACC his entire life. He presents the desired analytical ability to "paint the picture" for the radio listener very well, and he does so with the class and intelligent analysis that GT listeners respect and I believe most of us prefer... particularly over the 'homerism' you get from some others. That he doesn't let his work product to degrade down into long unintelligible rants about hobnail boots and broken noses is a GOOD thing. That type of thing is great if you're a young kid cheering for the home team. If you're not both of those things, it can turn you off from listening, and even if it doesn't, it robs you of an opportunity to learn more about the game - score, time, strategy, etc - and Wes DOES tell us how the team is acting and responding to the current situation. As gtcu17 pointed out, Wes has given us a number of passion calls, the most recent of which that came to my mind immediately is "carrying a host of duke defenders with him, GO J-D!" I don't want redneck drama. I want passion with intelligent, articulate expression, and Wes brings it every time, every week, in multiple shows - think about the number of things he does for us week in and week out (CPJ radio shows, this week in GT, etc).

No disrespect to Munson. He is great for his fanbase, and his approach fits them well, which is exactly why he is NOT for us.

Wes represents GT with class, intelligence, articulate humor when it's called for, AND passion for the players, the team, and the school, and we're DAMN lucky to have him.

How many times can I vote on this thing...

Oh and PS - Unless there's some VERY unscrupulous jackass impersonating him, Wes reads this board as 'wesdurham', and has seen some unbelievable and inexcusable disrespect here in the past (kyle), so whatever your thoughts, return the class he brings to us.

THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO FOR GT WES!!!
:biggthumpup:

Radio is not an easy job. It's very tough to give listeners enough information to make them feel like they're getting an experience that parallels watching. I think he does a great job, though I've only listened to him for one game.

The only time I have ever cursed Wes Durham is when we played Vanderbilt in 2004, I was listening to the game on the radio at our hunt camp and we were down at the end of the game and driving and Ball scrambles to run the ball, and Wes said "Ball is loose!"

I was like NOOOOOOO!!!! Wait! Huh! WTF!!!????

I miss Al

Yeah. If you grew up with Ciraldo, well he was just TECH and they'll never be another just the same as Coach Dodd. They've both moved on to the realm of legends and GT traditions.

Wes is really good in more ways than just announcer. He's a real pro and we're lucky to have him around. I'm one of the ones who'll be curious if Carolina comes a-courting when Dad retires.

I had to listen the first 10 minutes of the game tonight with MSU announcers. Holy **** they were horrible. I love Wes.

Back