Your weekly "**** ESPN" thread

Just like CPJ said, the BCS isn't a good system. They ask the coaches to rank the teams. For any of you who missed is discussion on why he doesn't vote in the coaches poll, he said that if he didn't put his team at #1 every week, he would be lying to his players when he tells them that he thinks they are the best team in the country. And if he did put his team at #1, he would be considered biased. He basically went on to say that the BCS is dumb because it is all based off opinion and is a popularity contest. Essentially, why allow opinion decide who plays in the National Championship. They should allow the teams to play it out on the field. He concluded by saying that playoffs are used at ever other level in the game of football besides FBS and it works just fine for everyone else with no controversy, but the people at the top in FBS football don't want it, so there isn't much you can do.

Opinion is BS. Look how far opinion got Southern Cal. They were humiliated by Stanford. A top 10 team humiliated by STANFORD! That's how much BS is in the BCS. I honestly think that TCU could compete with, if not beat Florida, Alabama, or Texas. If any of you have watched them play, you would see that they are the real deal. And for you BCS homers who think that TCU plays no good competition, realize that TCU comes from the same conference as Utah who beat down Alabama in the Sugar bowl last year. Sadly, they probably won't get a shot in the MNC because they aren't popular enough and no one wants to schedule them out of conference ... I know I wouldn't want GT playing them.

Opinion sucks and ESPN is the foreman of the opinion factory.

Is this anal retentive or what? We're going to have to beat the bulldogs my friends. We're going to have to beat them. It's going to be a fight. Mommy won't be there. It's going to be a blood-letting. So you're gonna bee there, right?

Being in the Metroplex I finally paid a bit of attention to TCU. Their story is as compelling as ours and they have been good for a few years now. They have a lot of parallels with us - smaller school, smaller stadium, lesser conference, in a big metro unlike most football factories, local sidewalk fans have bigger state universities to glom onto, etc.

My lack of attention to them shows me how often people not connected to us think about GT. I don't like ESPN either but they put on what they think most people want to see. Like someone else said, if we are good for a string of years we'll become one of those schools that is mentioned every week. In the down time between their glory days in the 70's and Pete Carroll USC wasn't mentioned nearly as much either.

The fact that they blatantly disregarded and discarded our win over Virginia Tech on the night it happened causes me to be unable to care whether they have a reason for ignoring us today or what it is.

We were the number three story that day (behind Dodgers winning playoff series and some college game). That's not exactly a slap in the face.

A top 10 team humiliated by STANFORD!

Consider this: Stanford plays Cal next. If they win that, and if Arizona beats Oregon, but loses to USC, and Oregon beats Oregon State, Stanford goes the Rose Bowl. (There are longer shots that probably get them there as well.) It's not so far fetched.

We were the number three story that day (behind Dodgers winning playoff series and some college game). That's not exactly a slap in the face.

The day we beat Virginia Tech? No, buddy, you're gravely mistaken. You can find the thread on this forum in which we were commenting as we watched SportsCenter if you need proof. If I recall correctly, they showed highlights from the Florida game three or four times before giving us a mention.

The day we beat Virginia Tech? No, buddy, you're gravely mistaken. You can find the thread on this forum in which we were commenting as we watched SportsCenter if you need proof. If I recall correctly, they showed highlights from the Florida game three or four times before giving us a mention.
QFT.

Our highlights came about 70 minutes into what was supposed to be an hour-long SportsCenter.

Back