Zona fires Stoops

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
tedi bruschi? chuck cecil?

lol i cant think of any arizona football players who have done anything at a coaching level
Most schools aren't coached by their former players.

There's always Butch Davis.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Why wouldn't you hire the pirate if he's available?

They really need (a) a gimmick offense that will cover up for the talent gap/recruiting disadvantages
(b) a flashy offense that would attract quality leftovers from Cali and Texas.

MTrain

hodl
talent gap? arizona has had some solid players over the years.

chris mccalister, trung canidate, antoine cason, rob gronkowski, dennis northcutt

california players already go to arizona, as do texans. tucson is an attractive place/school for a kid wanting to play football

MTrain

hodl
I'll say this and then catch heat from many in here i'm sure

but the arizona job is VERY comparable to the tech job, in terms of stature, players, program strength. academically arizona isn't as strong but it is a much bigger school

cyptomcat

Hibernating
I'll say this and then catch heat from many in here i'm sure

but the arizona job is VERY comparable to the tech job, in terms of stature, players, program strength. academically arizona isn't as strong but it is a much bigger school
sounds like a crappy job to me then

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
What is Arizona's recruiting ranking? What is their best ever recruiting ranking?

A few good men don't mean there isn't a gap...

cyptomcat

Hibernating
What is Arizona's recruiting ranking? What is their best ever recruiting ranking?

A few good men don't mean there isn't a gap...
What is it? You are the one that said there is a gap, you should google it for us :biggrin:

MTrain

hodl
crew only proves my point. if you lined up all of tech's great players over the last 15 years, the number and quality would probably look very comparable to arizona. but i guess we needed a gimmick offense to bridge the recruiting gap as well, right?

cyptomcat

Hibernating
crew only proves my point. if you lined up all of tech's great players over the last 15 years, the number and quality would probably look very comparable to arizona. but i guess we needed a gimmick offense to bridge the recruiting gap as well, right?
Tech does have a talent gap.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Yes, yes we do need a gimmick offense if we want to be a major power.*

Chan ain't no idiot. He's proving it in Buffalo. Yet he was 7-5 rinse repeat even with above average recruiting by our stds.

And we have better recruiting than Zona.

Zona and GT are similar jobs. Winnable leagues with some breather games in the league. Recruiting disadvantages over the tip top conference schools, but enough advantages overall that you should never be on the bottom.

*personally I could see this changing if we can sustain big win totals for a few years. We don't have to beat Georgie for recruits, but we need to beat Auburn, Tenn, USC, Clem a little more often for Atlanta kids and voila we are a national powerhouse.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
from espn:

The first question: How much is Arizona willing to pay? Stoops' $1.4 million annual salary sounds great for most of us, but is fairly middling among marquee coaches. And beyond Stoops' replacement, you have to pay a coaching staff. Salaries for assistant coaches have gone way up, well beyond what Stoops' staff was paid.

Top name you will hear: Boise State's Chris Petersen. Three words: Huge long shot.

Second name: Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen. Three words: Huge long shot.

Just because Byrne knows Petersen and Mullen doesn't mean either is eager to bolt to an uncertain situation.

Other names: Former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti, former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach and former All-American Ricky Hunley.

All three of those guys would raise enthusiastic eyebrows. Each has plenty to offer.