“One of the best offenses in college football”

rocky top buzz

Varsity Lurker
Spurrier didn't take over the dregs. Holtz layed some pretty good groundwork down, otherwise, Spurrier never agrees to coach there.
And compete for a Natty is a stretch. Clemson was hardly a world beater under Dabo until the last 6-7 years.
I don't know what kind of program coach Lou left but to give Spurrier no credit is absurd. There was a period there when they were winning all but 1 or 2 games per year. Spurrier's decline is directly correlated with Dabo's ascent. Again South Carolina historically has been about like Purdue or Kentucky. Not as bad as Duke/Vandy schools but never winning big. Give Spurrier credit.

CGC didn't take over the dregs either. This thing about "the biggest rebuild in history" is ridiculous and no wonder Tech has alienated its most successful coach since 1990. A close win against a bad Duke team is still a win. But the stupid things he says are getting old.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
Umm Duke is #12 in Total Offense as of today.

Are you suggesting Duke went from 106 to 12 just because of our game? You might want to do your homework first.
Football Outsiders updates their rankings early in the week. It’s based on performance relative to the performance of the opposing defense throwing out garbage possessions and offensive stats against non-FBS teams. Dook is #12 in total yards. Hardly a measure of best offense, but hey, if it makes you feel better about how our defense is performing more power to you. Our game likely did not change Dook’s offensive rating much at all. They suck, have a crappy QB and a workhorse RB and that’s about it. Basically 1 dimensional. A training wheels game for a novice DC, not some offensive juggernaught. It’s comical what GT fans will believe sometimes.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
With far too many fans happily shrugging their shoulders with an IIWII attitude & content with 6 win seasons followed by bad losses in forgettable bowls.

It was a safe space of mediocrity.
I got tired of ever Clemson and UGAg game having the play snuffed out instantaneously at the mesh. Having DE's and DB's reading our option game so quickly they were disrupting almost every pitch. Our game being reduced to "chuck it long and hope" after getting beaten down and body slammed for the first 3+ quarters. We were pretty good at taking at least 2-2.5 minutes off the clock every possession before punting, so there's that.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
QB recruiting and development was Chan’s downfall. He had enough time and Renfree was too late. The fact that we had to trot Taylor Bennett out should tell you that QB recruiting was a massive fail.
Same for Johnson. Honestly, only Ralph put together two top shelf QBs in a row. O’Brien had no one to follow Goose.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
Same for Johnson. Honestly, only Ralph put together two top shelf QBs in a row. O’Brien had no one to follow Goose.
How goes the QB, is how goes the Head Coach. Go ask DabO about that.

I was out of country a lot during the 90’s but did get game tape of every game eventually. Did anyone besides GT recruit Goose?

saxondawg

Varsity Lurker
I got tired of ever Clemson and UGAg game having the play snuffed out instantaneously at the mesh. Having DE's and DB's reading our option game so quickly they were disrupting almost every pitch. Our game being reduced to "chuck it long and hope" after getting beaten down and body slammed for the first 3+ quarters. We were pretty good at taking at least 2-2.5 minutes off the clock every possession before punting, so there's that.
It did seem in PJ's last few years that the stronger opponents could disrupt the option more consistently. To me the peak of my fear of the TO (as a UGA fan) was 2010. Game was in Athens, and PJ would run the dive successfully until we bolstered the middle, then he'd pitch outside successfully. Seemed like it was unstoppable then. Grantham's first year as DC and he had no clue what to do. He's too complicated to take on something as quick and flexible as the triple option. In that 2020 game, Tech kept fumbling the ball near one goal line or the other or it might have been another Athens win for Johnson. It was the game where Tech let UGA score quickly at the end, got the ball back, and Richt admitted he'd been outcoached.

After that, it just seemed like Johnson's offense grew a bit easier to defense, though he still won twice more against UGA with it. But in '17 and '18 it wasn't working as well. I always wondered if Johnson neglected to kind of build on his system, add some variations, as I felt some of his disciples did. There were a lot of spread concepts floating around that would have fit well. I do think the direction now is much better, the offense needs better QB play but the defense is really beginning to show some promise. I was familiar with CGC's work at UF. Just needs to keep building the talent base.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
I went to the last option game in Athens. It was absurd watching the mutt defenders side step our o linemen as they ankle dove and then be there for the mesh or have a hand out to nearly catch the pitch. The most striking thing however was size. We were outsized at every position but punter by a significant margin.

superjacket21

Drink alone
Umm Duke is #12 in Total Offense as of today.

Are you suggesting Duke went from 106 to 12 just because of our game? You might want to do your homework first.
Football outsiders is different. I’m pretty sure they rank teams similar to Pro Football Focus.