115,000 seat stadium

texstinger

Dodd-Like
In talking with my uncle (an Aggie) in Dallas, he said A&M has plans to increase the size of their stadium to 115,000. I guess they know if they can fill it or not, but they are really excited about Fran.

What got my attention is that right now, I think I am correct, the minimum ticket is $63.00 per game. This is before contributions to the 12th man foundation.

$63.00 X 115,000 X 6 home games. Yowzahh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eekhair.gif

Yeah. Me and my buddy were doing the math after he went there for the CU/A&M game.

$7,245,000 per game.
$43,470,000 per season (at home without a bowl)

How could your program not explode with that kind of money?

So goes the old saying: "If you talk like you're big-time, act like you're big-time, and walk like your big-time, then everyone will see that you are in fact, big-time." I didn't know that about the Aggies. Interesting.

Having lived in Texas for many years (not now but in the 40's, 80's and 90's) the one thing that I learned real quick. The aggies suck hind tiet(however thats spelled) in Texas. 115,000 stadium or no they are in the hearts of many 2nd, 3rd, or 4th best team in Texas win or lose.

OF, you may know, but don't they, and haven't they, always sold out?

But man, even now, those ticket prices are wild.

Let me put it this way when I went to Bryan-College Station I never had trouble getting a ticket. Didn't pay scalpers prices either. Seems to me like people just stood around and I payed either face value or below. I remember seeing Baylor/TA&M and got my tickets about the 40 yd line right at the ticket office about an hour before kickoff. Went to see (many times) Baylor in Waco and always bought my tickets at the ticket office but again that was Baylor. The good thing about living in Austin I was right between A&M, UTexas, Baylor and several others if I wanted to drive about 180 mile TCU, SMU, etc. The Austin American Statesman in the sports section always listed what tickets were available (ie not sold out), TA&M was generaly listed as available.

I bet you saw some great high school ball as well, i remember playing for the oilers my better half and i would go down to sugarland to the games and at that time they had 20,000+ at every game it seemed.

RF, Yes I did Westlake, Judson etc. Once I thought Westlake could have competed very well with many small colleges I have seen over my life. Citadel comes to mind, Westlake or Judson could have put up a good showing against them. I saw Odessa Permian a few times and I have no doubt in my mind that OD Per. could have played any div II college team and would have beaten them.

'mover, my family moved from Augusta to the Baytown area when I was 5 yrs old, I got to see some of the fabled SWC teams play as well as the area hs teams, our local hs was Robert E Lee and had a proud history of TX football! Special place to grow up as a kid!

Also got to see the original Oilers(Blanda,Cannon,Tolar, et al) at their training camp at the old Ellington AFB!

isn't OD Periman the school for the movie friday night lights.

Eagle unfortunately i had to drive 6 or 7 hours to camp in famed San Angelo what a hell hole that was but it had a little bar called the red rooster inn and had long necks for .75 now thats what i am talking about.

RF, truely I don't know as I watch very little TV so have seen no advertisments on it. I have heard that they are the team featured on that program. OD Permian has a 25,000 seat stadium and it's been years since they did not sell out. My best friend in Odessa never misses a game and I have heard (from him) when they go to places like Dallas they take 10,000+ fans with them. Gees RF I went to San Angelo many times to see the Oilers (not a Cowboy fan). Do you remember Mercer Boot or M. L. Letty? I had them hand make me many pairs of boots.

[ QUOTE ]
isn't OD Periman the school for the movie friday night lights.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe you're right. I think the book was written about their 1988 season. Probably the first movie thats going to get me into a theater in the last 6 months.

Friday Night Lights

Yes, it is about Permian. It is a pretty cool story, I read the book when I was in high school and have now seen the movie. They do a fantastic job and it is a great story so it turns out very well.

'mover, w/ .75 long necks, maybe Pearl or Lone Star?, i'm surprised you remember the name of the place!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drinking.gif

Gold, for thirty days during camp all of us linemen were there for and hour and a half, surprise surprise it was budweiser.

Back