12 Team CFP the favorite

ClydeBrick

All Being Master of Time Space & Dimension
How many times has a non-champion team made the BCS or the CFP?
BCS: 3 times; Nebraska (01), Oklahoma (03), Bammer (11)
CFP: also 3 times; tOSU (16), Bammer (17), Notre Dame (21)

The point here is there will be more opportunities for playoff games that are repeats of conference championship games and games where a team that couldn't win their division gets a shot at their conference champion. öööö like that should not happen in college football.

That said, thank Saban (PBUH) for 2nd & 26.

ClydeBrick

All Being Master of Time Space & Dimension
Unpopular opinion:

Go back to the BCS format. Why: less opportunities for the dwags to sneak into a MNC.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
The best case against a 12-team playoff is that the dwags will be in it some years.

The best case for a 12-team playoff is to watch the dwags lose to a team with superior coaching.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Unpopular opinion:

Go back to the BCS format. Why: less opportunities for the dwags to sneak into a MNC.
That's a double-edged sword. If they did sneak in, there's a decent chance they could face an overmatched Notre Dame or Big 12 team.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
This is fantastic news and easily predictable. I figured it would go to 8 then 16. Going to 12 next will make it quicker to go to 16. I can only think that those of you who do not like this are young and thus have no historical knowledge of the cesspool pre-4 team playoff. Think about this - those of you who want to stay put are sounding like those who wanted to keep newspaper reporters in charge of picking a national champion. And it was all corrupt as heck - for decade after decade. Do you really not know how a one loss Colorado won a Natty over an undefeated team? And the BCS was every bit as corrupt. Going to 12 then 16 will give teams like GT a real path forward. Does anyone doubt GT wouldn’t have made some noise the year we hammered Miss St in the Orange Bowl? We were rolling at the end of that season. And while winning the Orange Bowl was a little nostalgic, truth be told no one outside of GT cared the next day. Right now the 4 team playoff is a beauty contest between the SEC, Clemson, ND, OSU, and OU. Why? Because those are big schools that bring the money and viewers.

As for the concern over regular season games and rivalry games, come on now. Do you not realize those days are over. Players are opting out earlier and earlier once the 3rd loss happens. And yes no one cares about mid level teams playing mid season games. As to rivalry games, boo hoo. Those games will still be played and some fans will care and others won’t. Everyone one who doesnt like this plan will be thrilled when GT is ranked 10th and we make the playoff. That will dwarf any bowl game.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Right now the 4 team playoff is a beauty contest between the SEC, Clemson, ND, OSU, and OU. Why? Because those are big schools that bring the money and viewers.
Well, that and those are the only P5 teams that are consistently able to make it through the regular season without losing multiple games. And you can probably just say "Bama" instead of SEC.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Did you seriously forget about LSU having one of the greatest seasons ever a year ago? And in what sports bible does it say that a National Champ has to be undefeated? I love the fact that this generation of AD’s see the importance of having a legit D1 football champ instead of just having 4 teams who made it through their schedule with 1 or 0 losses. Schedules are not even close to even and opinions to pick 4 are just ridiculous. Going to a real playoff gives D1 more legitimacy than it has now. It’s going to be awesome!

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Did you seriously forget about LSU having one of the greatest seasons ever a year ago? And in what sports bible does it say that a National Champ has to be undefeated? I love the fact that this generation of AD’s see the importance of having a legit D1 football champ instead of just having 4 teams who made it through their schedule with 1 or 0 losses. Schedules are not even close to even and opinions to pick 4 are just ridiculous. Going to a real playoff gives D1 more legitimacy than it has now. It’s going to be awesome!
And? FSU has made the playoff too, but you didn't say "ACC."

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I prefer 8 teams to 12. Five conference champions, two at large teams, and a play-in game between top 2 non power-five teams that did not get an at large bid otherwise for the 8th spot. Seed them by their ranking. You get four New Year’s bowls that matter, semis the next week and then the championship in mid-January.

This past year the teams would have been seeded as follows:
1. Alabama
2. Clemson
3. Ohio State
4. Notre Dame
5. Texas A&M
6. Oklahoma
7, Cincinnati- Coastal Carolina winner
8. Oregon

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
I agree that any system where a game is played is better than a system where a team is just “picked”. The 2 team BCS was better than a “media selected” champion because a game was played. The 4 team playoff is better than the BCS because 3 games to decide a true champ is better than 1 game. Going to 8, 12, 16, or 32 is better because the more games you play the more legit is the champ. My problem with an 8 team playoff is you lose teams that aren’t the “factories” but had fantastic years and maybe rattled off 9 wins in row but they didn’t make it to their conference championship because of a tiebreaker or because of that week 3 loss.

Think about GT. We go in to every season with a one game deficit to VT because of our cross division game being Clemson. That’s just not fair, no different than several other teams like Auburn who get Bama and UGA every year. Or Tennessee who gets Bama every year. I know the dominance of teams changes but in a system where 1 loss puts you behind and 2 basically eliminates you then I’m all for destroying than system. And the bowl games are dead. And never coming back. Sure, they’ll attach the bowl name to a playoff game but no one cares about a random Sugar or Orange bowl anymore. Without expanding the playoff system you’ll have marquee players opting out mid season and you’ll have teams opting out of meaningless bowl games. We’ve already seen it and like the portal, opting out will only increase. Heck, a high school player just opted out and he won’t be the last.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Put all the conference champs in and then fill out with at large bids. Don’t see why it’s that complicated. Literally every other college sports has that model.

12 16 20 24 teams whatever just put some integrity into the idea of a playoff to crown a champion

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Yeah March madness sucks.
Massively different sport. A lot more variability in hoops. I have always said crown a G5 champion if you want, but they don't need to be cannon fodder for a playoff they have zero chance of winning.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
The issue here is the Very Real SEC bias, the preseason SEC teams in poll bias which is extremely difficult to overcome in season, and the ability to manipulate based on viewership, etc.

I would hate the 12 team model because it will include four or five SEC teams who played nobody but were included by Secspn, et al.

Six or eight max with Top Five Leagues getting auto, conference champs getting high priority otherwise.
And money is split the same every year, and not based on inclusion.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Expanding a 4 team playoff is not going to fix the problem with college football. Preventing the best players from going to the same 4 schools every year would do much better for the sport.
Yeah, if the "likeness" profiting goes through it is going to get even worse. The sport is on a death spiral and if they don't fix it soon I don't see any chance of the next generation giving much of a flip.

It's not impossible that they could fix this but it seems like they don't even think a problem exists. You would think with teams like Tennessee and FSU having attendance problems and ESPN in free fall they would realize they have a problem.

Im not sure how to reign in the extended coaches that Saban hires as "janitors" or whatever but it would seem like you have to cap personnel beyond the coaches in some manner.

The NFL obviously has a much smaller team. If college football only had 53 scholarship players then there would be a heck of a lot more parity like the NFL has.

But at the very least they need to take the CFP money and not let the SEC monopolize the bulk of it. The non-SEC needs to hold the line and make sure the CFP money gets distributed to everyone.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Some of you are just whiners. How do you expect the NCAA to address where players pick to go to school? At least for now we are still a relatively free country when it comes to personal decisions. Sorry Mr. Gibbs but you can‘t attend Georgia Tech because they already have JP Mason and Jamious Griffin, you must go to one of NC State, Ole Miss, or South Carolina because they need RB’s.

I agree right now the sport is top heavy but that’s a problem created by horrible decisions by many schools. Tennessee created their own problems by poor coaching hires which pushed players to Bama and UGA. Same with UF after Meyer left. Auburn has been on a coaching spiral since Cam. Florida State the same by Taggart. Oklahoma has been created because Texas and Nebraska are morons. All these dumb decisions by schools in the southeast has created the Bama and Clemson juggernauts. Where else would a high end player go from the southeast right now? It won’t last because either a scandal, coaching change, or underperformance will occur.

As for the sport being in a death spiral, I kinda agree that it is definitely becoming a regional sport. The west and northeast have shifted away from football towards soccer and lacrosse. And the concussion issue keeps the next generation from getting involved by their parents. College football is basically a southern U.S. and Midwest sport right now and will probably remain that way until the politics run it out of the Midwest- the conference that didn’t want to play. So, yeah, I believe the years are numbered for football but it has nothing to do with juggernauts.

Last edited:

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Some of you are just whiners. How do you expect the NCAA to address where players pick to go to school? At least for now we are still a relatively free country when it comes to personal decisions. Sorry Mr. Gibbs but you can‘t attend Georgia Tech because they already have JP Mason and Jamious Griffin, you must go to one of NC State, Ole Miss, or South Carolina because they need RB’s.

I agree right now the sport is top heavy but that’s a problem created by horrible decisions by many schools. Tennessee created their own problems by poor coaching hires which pushed players to Bama and UGA. Same with UF after Meyer left. Auburn has been on a coaching spiral since Cam. Florida State the same by Taggart. Oklahoma has been created because Texas and Nebraska are morons. All these dumb decisions by schools in the southeast has created the Bama and Clemson juggernauts. Where else would a high end player go from the southeast right now? It won’t last because either a scandal, coaching change, or underperformance will occur.

As for the sport being in a death spiral, I kinda agree that it is definitely becoming a regional sport. The west and northeast have shifted away from football towards soccer and lacrosse. And the concussion issue keeps the next generation from getting involved by their parents. College football is basically a southern U.S. and Midwest sport right now and will probably remain that way until the politics run it out of the Midwest- the conference that didn’t want to play. So, yeah, I believe the years are numbered for football but it has nothing to do with juggernauts.
Is NFL only big in the south and Midwest?

Is it more popular in places with good teams or bad teams?

As long as you lock out half the country they are not going to care. College football is locking out way more than half right now.

Nobody wants to say "Player X" has to go to "School Y". That's a silly red herring. 25 per year is way too many players for a sport that only has 22+k positions. The equivalent math would have 6 every year in basketball and 20 on the team. Combine that with the NFL age restriction so basketball doesn't have 1nDuns anymore and the Cinderella's would become extinct.

All you have to do to make football way more competitive is to reduce the numbers. They did it decades ago for competitive reasons. It is long overdue.

gambler

Went all in with 80k
You guys are doing this all wrong. It's a 2 team, 7 game CFP, all played in a week, team with hottest cheerleaders has home field advantage. No helmets allowed. Team with most teeth at the end of the series wins.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Is NFL only big in the south and Midwest?

Is it more popular in places with good teams or bad teams?

As long as you lock out half the country they are not going to care. College football is locking out way more than half right now.

Nobody wants to say "Player X" has to go to "School Y". That's a silly red herring. 25 per year is way too many players for a sport that only has 22+k positions. The equivalent math would have 6 every year in basketball and 20 on the team. Combine that with the NFL age restriction so basketball doesn't have 1nDuns anymore and the Cinderella's would become extinct.

All you have to do to make football way more competitive is to reduce the numbers. They did it decades ago for competitive reasons. It is long overdue.
I get what you are saying and I don’t disagree. But, come on, half the country is not locked out. They just don’t emphasize the sport of college football as much as the southeast and Midwest. It’s the same reason the Southeast doesn’t dominate soccer or lacrosse. The people just don’t care to be high level at it. This is a big country with regional differences. I lived in New Jersey for many years starting my career after GT and it sucked bigly when it came to college football. It was funny, but I remember working many Sundays because everyone else wanted off to watch or attend the NFL. They couldn’t understand why I wanted to spend my Saturday watching college football from noon to midnight.

I‘m all for changing rules but the chance of them lowering the numbers is zero. It’s all about politics at this point so no way will they limit free college to certain groups. College football is becoming a regional sport because many regions just don’t care about it. Even when USC was riding high under Carroll no one cared out there. We did because we are fans but do we care when local teams win something in a sport we don’t follow? No. It sucks that our nation is turning away from a sport we all love but not much anyone can do. Getting someone in Cali or the northeast to care about college football is like trying to get me to care about the WNBA or any soccer league. It’s just not going to happen even if the United win 5 straight titles.