12th Team

Originally posted by bellyseries:
[QB]Any conference that has a chance to get ND football and doesn't take it needs to lose its license. Love 'em or hate 'em, they are the national football team and they are an outstanding educational institution. Besides, as long as I've been a fan, it seems we have only played them when we were weak and they were good. I'd like a yearly shot at evening that record.

Penn State would be my second choice.

After that, no real preferences.

I completely agree with this....I can't imagine that in the future, remaining independent is a good strategy for anybody, even ND.....The question for ND might become which conference to align itself with...

Having said that, PSU would also be a great fit -> although I'd hate to wait till after '05...

I have a feeling that now that the Blue-blood power base is over, it'll get a LOT easier to go to 12 teams...

Haven't seen anyone who believes UCONN could be in. When we were searching for a 14 many people thought it would be them. Now that BC and SU have said they are out (though this may just be the PC thing for them to do knowing there is a good possibility they will have to stay in the Big East), UCONN may be a legit possibility for #12, just my thoughts.

How about Kentucky? Great basketball, average to below average football and also ran in everything else. That would make Coach K and Deano pucker up over in the triad.

My other choices would be:

2) Notre Dame (tradition has value)
3) Florida (all 3 Florida schools)
4) Boston College (Good school a great roadtrip)
5) South Carolina (ACC Nostalgia)
6) Vanderbilt (another easy mark but good school)
7) West Virginia (rival for Maryland)
8) Penn State (more football dominance for ACC)
9) Pittsburgh (good tradition and on the upward path)
10)Louisville (basketball and horse racing)

It will be interesting to see who the ACC targets for 12 assuming 10 and 11 say yes.

Screw Duke and UNC. Va. Tech played the politics card and does not deserve to be invited but we will take them until something better comes along.

Go Jackets!

Central Florida is up and coming. IMO in the future, they along with USF will dilute some of the power of the big Florida 3. They would be an excellent addition to the conference. I also like the idea of Louisville.

As for Notre Dame......Duke and UNC dominate this conference politically as it is (expansion is a case in point). There simply wouldn't be enough room for all of the egos if the Domers came in.
puke.gif

1. WV

2. CF

3. EC

South Carolina would be #1, but that's wishfull thinking.

ND?
puke.gif

Maybe it's just me, but wouldn't Penn State seem sorta out of place in the ACC? Maybe it's their style of play, I don't know..
confused.gif

The Jacket, I believe Penn State would be out of place in the ACC. Penn State really belongs in a conference with Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, etc.

Actually, Maryland would fit very well into the Big East with those mentioned above.

wink.gif

I'd really like to see us get a top 25 basketball program in now. We've made the conference better in football (and almost impossible for the current midlevel teams - GT, CLEM, NCST, UVA - to win the conference in the foreseeable future), maybe a team that will keep ACC basketball among the elite conferences (and consequently may not put another mark in the L column in football) is what we need now.

I'm thinking still try for BC, or Cuse, or maybe UCONN.

Louisville might also be a possibility but I don't think they quite fit.

Back