#15 Gavin Barthiel - LB (Lake Gibson - FL)

ramblin_wreck08

Class of 2012
Great video. Kid looks like a baller. Really would have guessed high 3*, low 4*...ratings are odd this year.

Excited about this pickup. Baller + Engineering major? Welcome to the Flats!

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Great video. Kid looks like a baller. Really would have guessed high 3*, low 4*...ratings are odd this year.

Excited about this pickup. Baller + Engineering major? Welcome to the Flats!
To my knowledge he hasnt run a timed 40 or shuttle in the range that the 4 star guys run. Tape shows he is fast but one or two tenths is the difference between 3 and 4 stars.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
To my knowledge he hasnt run a timed 40 or shuttle in the range that the 4 star guys run. Tape shows he is fast but one or two tenths is the difference between 3 and 4 stars.
Football speed is more important than track speed, particularly at the college level. If you can diagnose real time, you fast.

cbee

Flats Noob
Seems strange that other than FIU, none of the other Florida schools were on him.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
Seems strange that other than FIU, none of the other Florida schools were on him.
Maybe the ones that were interested knew he wasn't going to sign with them based on his academic interests, so they chose to not get rejected.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I'm trying to get a feel for what CGC looks for in his defensive players, and some patterns have emerged already.

He likes length. Barthiel does not have length. So what does he bring to the table?

The position where so far he is most willing to sacrifice length is linebacker. He'll go a little small if he gets mobility, instincts, form tackling, assignment discipline, and position flexibility.

Barthiel has all those things. Mobility, instincts, and form tackling are obvious, with the instincts cementing between his soph and jr years. His instincts were good then, but his play was a bit tentative. As a jr, his play screamed, "I got this." Assignment discipline is always hard, cuz you are never 100% sure what he is supposed to do on any play, and unless you see a complete game you don't see the plays he quietly fulfilled his assignment without making the play. (You also with only highlights don't see him in Kansas when he needs to be in Florida, on a play.) With that said, he looks like he does his job. He was great at setting the edge. When in coverage he sat in his zone until the play was committed, and then he zoomed.

Position flexibility? He was a safety or slot defender a lot, particularly as a soph but also as a jr. He showed different looks from olb as well. If a high school moves a player around, that tells you he is a student of the game and he listens to coaches. This also tells you he can probably learn a new defense in college pretty quickly. If Coach is serious about "controlled chaos" on defense once he gets his own players in, this is a big deal.

We know CGC wants all his players to work hard during the week. The best benchmark for that without talking to staff is endurance during the games. All I know is his team let a star olb/s sprint 60 yards on kickoffs when he would presumably stay in the game for that next series and run around more on defense. That is either a huge vote of confidence or dire desperation. I suspect it is confidence.

What don't I like? I didn't see him used on assigned pass rushes. When he went after the qb, it looked like it was based on diagnosis not scheme. This is probably what depresses his rating, that and two inches of height. I also did not see him communicate pre-snap, helping other players be in position.

His floor is special teams demon, but I don't see why he can't start at will.

Let me know if you agree or disagree with my observations.

BTW, does anyone remember linebacker Marlon Williams from the early 1990's?

Last edited:

Techbert

Dodd-Like
He doesn't look to me like a UF/FSU/Miami factory football player, but he does look like a football player. I like what Louisville is trying to build, and think this guy could play for them or us, and am happy to beat them for a guy.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
I'm trying to get a feel for what CGC looks for in his defensive players, and some patterns have emerged already.

He likes length. Barthiel does not have length. So what does he bring to the table?

The position where so far he is most willing to sacrifice length is linebacker. He'll go a little small if he gets mobility, instincts, form tackling, assignment discipline, and position flexibility.

Barthiel has all those things. Mobility, instincts, and form tackling are obvious, with the instincts cementing between his soph and jr years. His instincts were good then, but his play was a bit tentative. As a jr, his play screamed, "I got this." Assignment discipline is always hard, cuz you are never 100% sure what he is supposed to do on any play, and unless you see a complete game you don't see the plays he quietly fulfilled his assignment without making the play. (You also with only highlights don't see him in Kansas when he needs to be in Florida, on a play.) With that said, he looks like he does his job. He was great at setting the edge. When in coverage he sat in his zone until the play was committed, and then he zoomed.

Position flexibility? He was a safety or slot defender a lot, particularly as a soph but also as a jr. He showed different looks from olb as well. If a high school moves a player around, that tells you he is a student of the game and he listens to coaches. This also tells you he can probably learn a new defense in college pretty quickly. If Coach is serious about "controlled chaos" on defense once he gets his own players in, this is a big deal.

We know CGC wants all his players to work hard during the week. The best benchmark for that without talking to staff is endurance during the games. All I know is his team let a star olb/s sprint 60 yards on kickoffs when he would presumably stay in the game for that next series and run around more on defense. That is either a huge vote of confidence or dire desperation. I suspect it is confidence.

What don't I like? I didn't see him used on assigned pass rushes. When he went after the qb, it looked like it was based on diagnosis not scheme. This is probably what depresses his rating, that and two inches of height. I also did not see him communicate pre-snap, helping other players be in position.

His floor is special teams demon, but I don't see why he can't start at will.

Let me know if you agree or disagree with my observations.

BTW, does anyone remember linebacker Marlon Williams from the early 1990's?
He's projecting to SAM backer as of now. Obviously could move depending on weight gain and speed.

Needs to get stronger to help in the run game but his strength right now is speed/agility to cover a TE and in play recognition. Gonna need a RS.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
He's projecting to SAM backer as of now. Obviously could move depending on weight gain and speed.

Needs to get stronger to help in the run game but his strength right now is speed/agility to cover a TE and in play recognition. Gonna need a RS.
Not sure he has the frame to stand up to a blocking te on run plays. I don't know if he can carry well more than mebbe 20# more. He could be a sam vs a receiving te. But I think he could cover enough ground to play will, no problem.

And the definitions are looser than they once were. He could play mike depending on scheme. A linebacker is a linebacker is a linebacker. He will be able to drop in coverage so he wouldn't have to leave the field on third down.

What he needs is a strong dl in front of him. Then he'd be able to read, close, and wrap all day. CGC has plugged the leaking offensive line. He's taken steps on defensive line, but we need more hostile beef on that side.

cbee

Flats Noob
He doesn't look to me like a UF/FSU/Miami factory football player, but he does look like a football player. I like what Louisville is trying to build, and think this guy could play for them or us, and am happy to beat them for a guy.
Agreed. I was thinking more USF and UCF.