1st 4 games and predictions....(somewhat long)

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
I have picked up a variety of preseason mags for the upcoming season and I have put together my prediction and a brief synopsis of each game.

(1)BYU-----Win-----Gary Crowton still learning and I think we play fired up for this one in Provo. Close win. Could go either way. Watch for the leadership and someone to step up big late in the ballgame.(1-0)

2) Auburn-----Loss-----Huge home opener nad Auburn has come off a tough game with USC at Jordan Hare. I believe we play hard and are close midway through the 3rd but I think Cadillac and Ronnie Brown bust a couple and Jason Campbell threads the needle. Tough loss.(1-1)

3)Florida State-----Loss-----The streak continues at the hands of the Noles. Seminoles hop out early and hold on at the end. Jacket D builds a brickwall second half but deficit too big.(1-2)(0-1 ACC)

4)Clemson-----Win-----Good rebound. Bilbo has a huge game and we shut down their ground game forcing the Tigers to throw and in the pass defense packages we handle them. Special teams and intangibles are the only hopes for Clemson win. Bowden stays on the hotseat and Gailey climbs to .500.(2-2)(1-1 ACC)

After surviving the first 4 Tech proves it is capable of a 7th straight bowl and a season to keep the fans content and keep Gailey on the flats, at least for now.

Next installment: Vandy, N.C. State, Wake, Maryland. I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.

Considering what the guys have gone through, I'd be extremely happy if we got out of that stretch 2-2. It's definitely the make or break stretch of the schedule. If we can get out of that alive, I look for us to sneak into yet another bowl game. We should beat Vandy, Dook, Wake, and Carolina, which gives us 6 wins. I still look for us to beat NC State again (1-7 against us since '95), and pull another upset somewhere along the way (our first win in Hooville since '90 would be nice). 7-5 might send us to the Continental Tire or Tangerine Bowl...anything more than that and we'd probably get the Peach. At this point, who's complaining? Remember back in '99 when we all griped about going to the Gator Bowl two straight years.
shocked.gif

My thoughts exactly. I think if we do escape the brutal stretch 2-2, then we will be playing in December. But if we could start 2-0 and beat Auburn then we may play 2 months onsheer adrenaline and finish 8-4. Momentum is the key. We need to jump out and start early. It may not be so, but in my opinion we need to put a touchdown on the board in Provo and lead 7-0 to gain some confidence. If we trail 14-0, 17-7 at the half against the Cougars we will not win. We need to jump on folks early and to me that will be the key to success.

2 & 2 would be a miracle. Gailey would save his job if that did happen....but don't bet on it.
BYU should have won last year at BDS. Turn-overs and poor QB play by BYU cost them an away loss. This game in Utah will be a payback game. BYU has more depth returning, and Tech was already thin BEFORE the big FLUNKOUT. Who knows how many more players will flunk out this summer, or be injured during summer practice?
Clemsom will not be the pushover that many are hoping for. Their depth and physical training will beat us in the 4th quarter.
Tech will be hoping for superior defensive play, while its inexperienced offense will run the ball 3 out of 4 plays. Teams with no depth can not be very successful with a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mentality. Opposing teams had little trouble understanding our offensive gameplan last year, and they will have less trouble understanding it this year.
Tech will struggle in the second half of most games this year. Once it falls behind, it will not have the offensive flexability to play catch-up. The defense will play great early, but tire in the end.
I'm guessing we go 0-4. Gailey's fate will be sealed by then, and we can start talking about who would make a great new coach for GT. Neuheisel may be available.
grin.gif
1-3 would be a very good record for GT considering the murderous schedule. The problem for Gailey is that his team may quit on him again in the Auburn and FSU games. Butt-whippins early in the season will leave a bigger impression on fans than a losing record.
Either way, the first 4 games will be very interesting.
BOO

BDG, what BYU team did you go see it was not Tech vs BYU. I was sitting on the 35-40 yd line in the gold seats on the east side and I felt Tech except for a few plays had them all the way. The adjustments made after BYU's first drive were very successful and even though BYU made some nice plays Tech was in complete control. However, I do belive your post was another slap at CCG. As the old saying go forget it and drive on.

BYU had 2 or 3 turn overs in the first half. The game ended with a BYU intercepted pass with a minute to go. Their QB play was as bad as ours.
BOO

shocked.gif
grin.gif
blue.gif
smile.gif

I would be overjoyed at the end of September if we were 2-2...
Although it's a sad sign of the times that we're thinking .500 is an outstanding start....
Provo will be very tough... only way this one is close is if the Jackets have stamina....
Auburn... are you kidding me??? After the battle with Southern Cal the War Eagle will be truely battle tested and the Jordan-Hare wing at BDS will test the engineering quality of the new stands... If Dbo gets out of this without an injury physically or mentally he'll be the man to lead our Jackets for the remainder of his career...
F$U.... free shoes with every off shore gambling account opened... same ol', same ol'... too much depth, too much talent, too many slanted officials....
Clemson... okay here's the make or break for the season... injuries not withstanding TECH will be a mature team although slightly downtrodden... Home crowd will reinforce them as they try to rediscover a winning formula... 0-3 going in they lose... 1-2 good game up for grabs... 2-1... Bilbo is the leader and knows how to win... TECH wins going away.... Talk of the town BILBO and Gailey coach of the year in ACC...

Of course we could just hire Bahgdad Bob to call all the games and not watch and we'll be 4-0!!!

Originally posted by ncjacket:
bdg, enjoy that?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">.
No joy in stating facts, and understanding what is happening to my favorite team and pasttime. I don't wear rose-colored glasses. I know what it feels like to go through 1-10 seasons and lose to teams that matter. I don't like it. I know change is needed, and I am impatient.
BOO

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
2 & 2 would be a miracle. Gailey would save his job if that did happen....but don't bet on it.
BYU should have won last year at BDS. Turn-overs and poor QB play by BYU cost them an away loss. This game in Utah will be a payback game. BYU has more depth returning, and Tech was already thin BEFORE the big FLUNKOUT. Who knows how many more players will flunk out this summer, or be injured during summer practice?
Clemsom will not be the pushover that many are hoping for. Their depth and physical training will beat us in the 4th quarter.
Tech will be hoping for superior defensive play, while its inexperienced offense will run the ball 3 out of 4 plays. Teams with no depth can not be very successful with a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mentality. Opposing teams had little trouble understanding our offensive gameplan last year, and they will have less trouble understanding it this year.
Tech will struggle in the second half of most games this year. Once it falls behind, it will not have the offensive flexability to play catch-up. The defense will play great early, but tire in the end.
I'm guessing we go 0-4. Gailey's fate will be sealed by then, and we can start talking about who would make a great new coach for GT. Neuheisel may be available.
grin.gif
1-3 would be a very good record for GT considering the murderous schedule. The problem for Gailey is that his team may quit on him again in the Auburn and FSU games. Butt-whippins early in the season will leave a bigger impression on fans than a losing record.
Either way, the first 4 games will be very interesting.
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I Just checked BYU spring review and they have some depth problems as well.
mad.gif

1.OL as stated there is little experience and a lack of talented backup per college footballnews.com

2. No proven QB SOUNDS LIKE TECH Per collegefootballnews BYU has a ton of QB options to go to but it needs one of them to step up and be the star

3A thin OL and a QB that needs to step up sounds like GT last year,and by the way in last year's game our QB had a bad game as well matter of fact the OFFENSE COULD NOT HAVE HAD A WORST GAME AND WE STILL WON.
mad.gif

Would be interested in seeing what BYU's home record has been the past 10 years overall, & their home record vs non-conference opponents... probably isn't what it used to be, but hasn't BYU been known for having a tremendous homefield advantage over the years?

Huh.. was just looking at BYU's football website, they've got a JV that plays 2 games this year...

Ok, here are some facts. Bad first, then the good.

Bad News
1) Last year, BYU cmae out of the gates firing defeating Syracuse 42-21 in Provo.

2) They will face a must win in playing us because the next week they are at USC.

Good News
1) The two BYU quarterbacks who played against Tech last year are not even in the top 2 in depth chart. They will start a sophomore QB with only a couple starts to his name(losses to New Mexico and Utah).

2) They are breaking in new guys at both coordinator's spots.

3) BYU is near the bottom in recruiting in The Moutain West in all preseason publications.

4) Lat year BYU allowed 27.2 points per game, 72nd nationally. They gave up 177.8 on the ground a game, ranking 91st nationally. They gave up 384.7 total yards per game, goos for 69th best in the nation.

Here are just a few facts about what we can expect on August 28th
1) Their newly hired defensive coordinator, Bronco Mendenhall, runs a high pressure 3-3-5 defensive scheme. They bring guys from everywhere at the quarterback. We must protect the QB and he needs to be mobile.(Suggs is not mobile, Bilbo is)

2) BYU also has a very young offensive line. They may start 3 freshman on the OL. We must get to the quarterback and force him into mistakes.

3) Expect BYU to try to disguise things with a lot of playaction. The get back RB MArcus Whalen who ran for close to 1,000 yards. It should be interesting. Whoever gets the breaks and turnovers should win this one.

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ncjacket:
bdg, enjoy that?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">.
No joy in stating facts, and understanding what is happening to my favorite team and pasttime. I don't wear rose-colored glasses. I know what it feels like to go through 1-10 seasons and lose to teams that matter. I don't like it. I know change is needed, and I am impatient.
BOO
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">How's this.. You don't KNOW jack. You are not God, or a psychic, and you have no foresight of this season. I imagine that in January, if we have a good year, you'll KNOW that 2003 was a fluke and you'll KNOW that 2004 will absolutely be Gailey's last season.

WAY too pessimistic predictions.

Tech dumps BYU, Crowton on the hotseat. Good contest (Awbun), we win our home opener against a long time foe in newly completed BDS. FSU is ours this year. Clemson we take on a roll. Crabby, half-assed Tech fans are speechless.

Originally posted by gnats 67:
WAY too pessimistic predictions.

Tech dumps BYU, Crowton on the hotseat. Good contest (Awbun), we win our home opener against a long time foe in newly completed BDS. FSU is ours this year. Clemson we take on a roll. Crabby, half-assed Tech fans are speechless.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
drinking.gif

we will beat all the carolina schools including nc state. we will also beat byu and clemson.

that alone gives us at least 6 wins and a at least a 5-3 record in the ACC.

moreover, we'll also beat vandy to have at least 7 wins.

the pouvre scared stiff spook won't make a wager.

IamYellow.. after reading your prediction on at least 7 wins... it is apparent you must've had an omelet with "Magical Mushrooms" in it this morning... You should forward your prediction on the upcoming season to "High Times".. they could make a feature article out of it...

Originally posted by BeeBad:
IamYellow.. after reading your prediction on at least 7 wins... it is apparent you must've had an omelet with "Magical Mushrooms" in it this morning... You should forward your prediction on the upcoming season to "High Times".. they could make a feature article out of it...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">an omelet with magical mushrooms, how creative. what is IamYellow? oh .. that is the name you're going to call me? i must compliment you on another absolute gem of creativity.

you don't attend any games (leave alone getting season tix or donating money to tech), you make fun of engineers using autocad snides, you don't stand for anything Tech stands for, and now you'll make fun of "yellow" in "yellow jackets".

are you sure that you're a Tech fan, wannabee?

and wannabee .. Hell Yes I am Yellow .. cause I am a YELLOW JACKET! are you one??

Back