2 RB in the Backfield

johncu

Dodd-Like
For someone with more football knowledge than me, can you try to explain why we don't utilize dual RB sets more often? Especially with Jordan Mason back, I think you can make the argument that Mason and Gibbs are the best two players on the entire team. Why are we not getting them on the field at the same time? Gibbs has the skill set that you could easily flex out into the slot, so it's not like personnel grouping would tip off the defense or anything.

Thoughts?

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Probably narrative? Can’t be trying to sell “largest overhaul in modern CFB history” if you’re still running some triple plays.

I agree though. Getting those three guys into the backfield together would put a lot of pressure on their LBs. Would be a nightmare trying to play the run with the threat of Gibbs running a route instead.

Guessing part of it is Patenaude opting to install his 11 personnel plays even though we don’t have any decent TEs on the roster yet (covid or not). Which is a decision that could hurt this year but pay off down the line once Helms/Blackburn get here.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
I agree with you. We have used 2 backs a lot at times earlier this year. I assume it depends on how the defense plays and if we have all of our TEs. Also, not sure how much Mason as been practicing so we might not have been able to prepare of it. To me it makes more sense to have Gibbs (or Smith) paired with Mason than together but maybe it was hard to plan for that given Mason's status.

athensjacket

Varsity Lurker
I could be wrong, but it seems to me 2 in the backfield would also be better for pass blocking. Even if one slipped into the flat, the other would be back there to help with QB protection.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
Look for some more of this going forward. They both haven’t been healthy in the same game yet, Mason was on a snap count last week.

a lot of what we heard in preseason camp was that Gibbs was going to be used in the flex role quite a bit

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
Only one of them can run the ball on any given play. If you run a 2 back set they need to be good blockers to block for each other. Is Mason really ready to play yet? (I didn't see the game Saturday and don't know any details).

johncu

Dodd-Like
Probably narrative? Can’t be trying to sell “largest overhaul in modern CFB history” if you’re still running some triple plays.
This is actually the answer I was hoping NOT to get. We were told that our coaches would tailor the offense to the personnel, right? Well we've got a serious shortage of WRs and TEs with experience running a full route tree, but we're loaded at RB with lots of different skill sets. Honestly I think we have at least 4 P5-starter caliber RBs, with 2 All-Conference type guys. I don't give a öööö what kind of plays we run, as long as they work, and it's extra frustrating to watch us fail while one of our best players sits on the sideline or runs plays that are clearly not taking advantage of his strengths.

And I'm not even just talking about running plays. This video is a bit long, but if you just watch the actual plays you can imagine the kind of space and 1v1 matchups we could create for Gibbs. Seems like a much better usage this point than ramming him up the middle while our OL gets beat at the point of attack. At least Mason has had college S&C and can push through arm tackles and fall forward.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Look for some more of this going forward. They both haven’t been healthy in the same game yet, Mason was on a snap count last week.

a lot of what we heard in preseason camp was that Gibbs was going to be used in the flex role quite a bit
I REALLY hope this is the case. I guess we'll see over the next couple of weeks.

Chattanooga Jacket

Damn Good Rat
For someone with more football knowledge than me, can you try to explain why we don't utilize dual RB sets more often? Especially with Jordan Mason back, I think you can make the argument that Mason and Gibbs are the best two players on the entire team. Why are we not getting them on the field at the same time? Gibbs has the skill set that you could easily flex out into the slot, so it's not like personnel grouping would tip off the defense or anything.

Thoughts?
I like it. They could leave one RB in the backfield in case a Sims fumble needs recovering.

IM79

Flats Noob
I want to see some two back sets with play action fake to Mason with Gibbs on a wheel route against a LB. After we've run Mason up the middle a few times.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
I think how the Saints used Ingram and Kamara should be the model. Gibbs should be on the field in most passing situations. I hate watching us get to 3rd and long and take him off the field.

johncu

Dodd-Like
I think how the Saints used Ingram and Kamara should be the model. Gibbs should be on the field in most passing situations. I hate watching us get to 3rd and long and take him off the field.
I hope so. Alvin Kamara was mostly wasted by two different college programs before exploding when he got to an NFL team that finally figured out how to use him. I don't want us to do that with Jahmyr Gibbs, because I think he's a similar type of talent.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I don't think it has anything to do with narrative. We did use 2 back sets with Griffin and Gibbs some and it was working pretty well IIRC. I think against UCF. Haven't seen it much since. I know after Syracuse it was evident we needed our TEs back, and I think we've played more 2 TE sets out of necessity because run blocking hasn't been the greatest. Having 2 TEs in makes it hard to play 2 RBs. Griffin did not play much against Clemson and did not make the trip against BC which makes me think he may be nursing an injury. With Mason just coming back, he was probably limited in snaps. Gibbs and Smith aren't the 2 RBs to put on the field at the same time because they both are more the same style of RB. I think with a healthy Mason and/or Griffin, you will see more 2 back sets going forward.

Gobees

Jolly Good Fellow
With our current OL, I cringe when I see Gibbs attempt to gain yards up the middle. Too much risk vs reward.
Love it when he's put in space, and also love to see Mason pounding it up the middle and giving punishment while dragging defenders for 5 extra yards.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
Keep in mind that there is barely enough practice time to learn the core set of plays we have. And this isn't Georgie were a kid can spend all his free time in the film room or studying his playbook.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
Keep in mind that there is barely enough practice time to learn the core set of plays we have. And this isn't Georgie were a kid can spend all his free time in the film room or studying his playbook.
This is an interesting question ibeeballin alluded to earlier. Has covid stuff changed the amount of time we are able to practice at all?

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
I would love to see us use the two back set from the gun for a change of pace. My son is OC now at his old high school where he played. As an ECU alum Riley was there when he was early in his coaching career and he learned a lot from him at camps and clinics. Using an RPO based spread with one back, he loves going to the two back after half time. The number of times he can get one or two great drives with the dual backs after half is impressive. But, you do have to take practice time for it. Visually, the two back complicates life for the defensive front and linebackers. It does seem our personnel could fit using this.