2003 Braine's year?

71YellowJacket

Damn Good Rat
2003 Braine\'s year?

2001 Braine hires Gailey, best coach he has seen sense Bobby Dodd.

2002 Jackets go 7-6, record breaking loss to UGA, lose a loser bowl to mini-FSU. Very Few public statements from Braine or GTAA. Gailey, does publically express displeasure with both AJ and DeBo, after locking AJ in as the 2003 quarterback before SVC.

I don't think there is any doubt Braine will ride Gailey for another year, maybe a few coaching changes.

IF 2003 is a losing season, say 5-7 or worse, most posters are of the opinion Gailey should go.

If so, what about Braine, is he at risk to losing his job as well? Should he be?

Re: 2003 Braine\'s year?

Interesting points about Braine. I must confess I don’t know a whole lot about Braine other than his method of hiring coaches. He likes to keep everything a big secret then spring it on the fans. This creates excitement works if you are making a good hire. If not it gives the appearance that you are the one totally in control and don’t want any feedback from those who are paying your salary, i.e. the ticket holders. Don’t get me wrong the AD is in charge of hiring but it certainly doesn’t hurt him to know what the fans are thinking. Along this same thought process DB is the only person on the GTAA web site that doesn’t list an email address. Why is this?

From what I hear from others DB is supposed to be an individual of high morals and integrity. I wouldn’t know. He has so removed himself from us that it is impossible to know anything about him. He has made no statements regarding the future of our football program. It appears as if he has gone into hiding. Why is this? We the fans deserve to know something. This is definitely not the modus operandi that was established by Dr. Homer Rice. Like Bobby Dodd, Bill Alexander and John Heisman, I say his name with extreme respect and reverence.

Should he go if Gailey goes? Yes. He hired Gailey and has refused to face the paying faithful and either defend his hire or let us know what the plans are at GTAA.

No, based on his bio, experience, character traits, and accolades from players and other coaches, it appears he was the best candidate available. Most any owner of a company would have selected him on this criteria. You also have to remember, the committee was sold on him. It was not Braine's decision alone.

Sometimes it just does not pan out, even when you have followed the accepted guidelines. We are not sure at this time, that it will not pan out, but we are not left with a warm, fuzzy feeling after this past year.

smile.gif

To deal honestly with the man, should it not be considered that, after all, Chan was not his first choice for the job, but was taken only after DB's presented selection was rejected? Or maybe I have the story wrong or maybe some people feel that should have nothing to do with the cost of Apples???
smile.gif

You hear a lot of stories and never know which ones are true. Supposedly DB’s first choice wanted GT to lower its academic requirements, which is why he was rejected. Who really knows what went on with the search committee other than the people on it?

Personally, it is the lack of information that NOW comes out of the GTAA that has me as frustrated as I am with both Gailey and Braine.

It must be their intended policy to shut us out on communication. Otherwise, a leak or two would come out by accident. I have felt for a while that these two consider the fan base to be a bother, and it hacks me off!

It isn't going to happen now, but eventually both of them will be gone. I wish that Clough would grow some and get it over with now.

I recently posted a question regarding our President MR. Clough, without a response. I can only assume that he wants to win. I am afraid that it will be up to him to break up the secret society that is the Braine/Gailey gang.

Right now, I would like to take one of those "Cajun Injectors" they promote on Gaileys dodge ball call in show, and use it on either one of them.

Man do I miss Homer Rice, even if he did bring us us Mr. Lewis.

Braine was hand picked by the President of Ga Tech and hired away from Va Tech. Braine and Clough have a relationship that goes back to when Clough was Dean of Engineering at VT. I doubt that Braine is forced to leave as long as Clough is here.

Thanks 83. This, however is not very good news to me!

lucky, whenever information does come out it get's twisted on the net. Rumors get turned to fact. People will believe what they want to believe as I see it.
wink.gif

Just look at the start of this thread for example. Hollis from AJC states something and it's made fact right off the bat. I honestly don't believe for one second that Coach Gailey locked AJ as the 2003 QB before SVC. There was no direct quote from Coach Gailey there. It was Hollis's words. AJC does a sorry job. How many interviews have you listened too and then read what Hollis writes? I've heard many of them. Interesting to see what comes out in paper afterwards too. Is that GTAA's fault, Coach Gailey's, or the AJC's? I'm not putting on the blame on Hollis either. He has a boss.

What do you want communicated to you from the GTAA?

I'm not arguing with you that we can't get more information, but what do you want to hear? I've written and expressed to them my feelings and how they can help us out with information. What are your thoughts on what information we should get and how it should be given?

Good question. I will respond to you, but now I am taking my daughter to her Bball game.

GTT, I am back and as promised, a response to you.
First off, I do not write long posts due to the fact that my typing skills are atrocious. Lets see if I can summarize briefly.

First of all, I think maybe that there was something going on with that Hollis report re: Suggs next year. This guess is a stretch, but I would not be surprised if the misinformation given was partly due to frustration on Hollis' part on getting anything news worthy from CCG.

What I would appreciate from the "silent ones" is the same type of information I hope to get from my pilot in turbulance. Which is: A) whats going on, and B) what is he going to do to smooth the flight.

Some may find this ridiculous, but I believe as long as TECH asks for and happily receives my hard earned money that I contribute every year, those guys have a responsibility to keep myself and the other shareholders "in the loop" with what the heck is going on.

Chan believes this is HIS job, and his only boss is Dave Braine. I think Braine believes his only boss is Clough. This is not HIS job. He is merely holding the title for a while.

He and Braine's silence to a very interested group of people on "how's the baby doing" is what infuriates me.

lucky, thanks! I hear ya.

One thing that would help in my opinion is if other than Coach Gailey's and Braine's call in shows these guys could get on the air more often via phone to address some things. If 790 handled it properly professionally it would help their public relations with GT fans which isn't the best at the moment.

I'm not a big fan of the AJC like a lot of tech fans, but do believe Hollis wants to cover GT to the best of his ability. Maybe if we contacted him though email and suggested some things for him to cover while at the same time letting the GTAA know these things interest us and we'd greatly love to be informed. An example of this might be during the offseason I'd really like to hear about our strength and conditioning program. Hearing about their work outs and goals. Where are they now and how are they going to get to where they're going to make this a championship team. Things of this nature in my opinion would give us something to get a buzz about the program!

GTTerrific,

If I remember correctly, prior to the SVB the Daily Buzz (see Hive) was also quoting Gailey as saying AJ would be the starter going into spring training and there would be no competition for the starting qb position.

I don't know if this is simply an echo of Hollis' column or a separate press release from GTAA and I haven't heard a rebuttal from GTAA since Hollis' story appeared

Either way this was not intended to be the central issue of the topic.

GTT, what you came back with is exactly the stuff I believe we are entitled to. The fact that we do not get this type of public relations information leaves me highly agitated.
Heck, we don't even get a reason why we don't get it.

Does anybody remember the good aspects of the Pepper Rodgers run? His weekly television show was indicative of his feelings for Tech. Man what an upbeat guy in public. If he just could have won more games.

My favorite Pepper quote (paraphrased): When asked about ugag's Willie McClendon before the '78 game, Pepper answered "Willie's a fine back, but he aint no Eddie Lee Ivery"

Originally posted by 71Bee:
GTTerrific,

If I remember correctly, prior to the SVB the Daily Buzz (see Hive) was also quoting Gailey as saying AJ would be the starter going into spring training and there would be no competition for the starting qb position.

I don't know if this is simply an echo of Hollis' column or a separate press release from GTAA and I haven't heard a rebuttal from GTAA since Hollis' story appeared
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm pretty sure, from a thread on the Hive, that Goldtimer got it from the AJC. If the GTAA set out to refute every newspaper story that is as absurd on its face as that one, they'd not only be wasting time but possibly be lending credence to the story.

Perhaps bellyseries,

But that particular story was so damning to Gailey's already questionable reputation as Tech's Head Coach, If not Gailey, I would have had somebody in the pr dept or higher release something to refute/correct it.

GTAA hasn't exactly been a bee hive of press activity for sometime. It would have been an easy one to address at Gailey's next TV show. Gee, did he stop having those?

I'm not making excuses to our PR. It's bad. As Atlanta has grown it's gotten worse instead of better in my opinion. We have to deal with a paper like the AJC as the ONLY major news paper in a metro area about to bust 5 Million. Unbelievable. There isn't another area in the country with demographics like that.

The only news we've really heard from Coach Gailey has been the article found by our own ACE from the coast of GA.

Coach Gailey seems to be as accessible as any I can remember. We're not getting the coverage from the papers. We're not getting the coverage from the radio. We're not getting the coverage from GTAA. If we just had one doing a good job it would make a heck of a difference. We're getting none. That makes it bad. Doesn't help that the best source was Macon Tele and the writer left for greener fields.

GTAA doesn't have the size athletic department to have staff running out it's ears.

We've got to someway as fans do our part to help their be a buzz around a program. Yes, goodness, I know some fans here seemingly don't have anything to be at a buzz about. Well, this fan does. I'm not going to sit around and complain. I'm on a freak'n mission.

I know Hollis, and like the man. Think he really wants to do a good job covering GT sports. He's done a much better job than the person before him. Is he perfect? No. He's not. He also has a boss. I'll do all I can do as a fan to help him cover GT sports.

The radio stations will hear from me. The best group I've found that really like to hear suggestions is the mid day bunch on 790, Southern Comfort. They're dieing to hear from GT fans on topics, what to cover, what to talk about, and suggestions. Email them in a nonconfrontive way. Suggest to them. Give them a feel for what the fans are thinking. Doesn't help to bash.

The GTAA will hear from me as well. It won't be a bash section either. Nothing wrong with telling anyone how you feel and where you're coming from as a fan. We're all in this together. I hear on message boards sometimes how GTAA doesn't care. That's just not true. They do care. Coach Braine cares. Coach Gailey cares. Everyone down there cares. Just go down and spend time for one day and meet people there. Their care nunith over!

gnats. I think those are good!! Having chats is excellent. There are ways to do it to make them informative with screening to make it productive. I like the idea of the article as well on ramblinwreck.com. Something similar to what Wes does.

The WAY Gailey was hired has hurt Braine more than anything. The not being honest fiasco with McWhorter didn't need to happen.

Then, interfering in the retention or letting go of assistants shouldn't have been his business.

I believe he got himself into a sticky mess trying to impress all of the Atlanta media with another "Hewitt" hire - a real surprise and a "find". Rather than do a traditional search in the usual places, we went NFL, which rarely has worked out. We passed on several solid coaches - Johnson who went to Navy early for example, and wasted a bunch of time talking at Boston College.

Contributing to this whole mess is this "underground" mode of operation from Braine and Gailey - rarely any addressing of problems or even communicating with the public. While the AJC did not like O'Leary, he never lacked for quotes, so I do not believe this silent treatment is because they are talking the media isn't printing. Questions, speculation, arguments, that is the way things are at Tech these days because they won't do a little PR work and rally the troops.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
No, based on his bio, experience, character traits, and accolades from players and other coaches, it appears he was the best candidate available. Most any owner of a company would have selected him on this criteria. You also have to remember, the committee was sold on him. It was not Braine's decision alone.

Sometimes it just does not pan out, even when you have followed the accepted guidelines. We are not sure at this time, that it will not pan out, but we are not left with a warm, fuzzy feeling after this past year.

smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Who was on the committee? I can't find it anywhere. Seems to me as I recall George Morris mentioned Gaileys's name to Braine and Braine interviewed and then he sold Gailey to the committee. Correct me if I am wrong.

Back