2003 Braine's year?

Re: 2003 Braine\'s year?

Originally posted by 71Bee:
GTTerrific,

If I remember correctly, prior to the SVB the Daily Buzz (see Hive) was also quoting Gailey as saying AJ would be the starter going into spring training and there would be no competition for the starting qb position.

I don't know if this is simply an echo of Hollis' column or a separate press release from GTAA and I haven't heard a rebuttal from GTAA since Hollis' story appeared

Either way this was not intended to be the central issue of the topic.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Agree. I understand it's not the central topic of this thread, but we're all working hard to make it one now.
wink.gif

Again there was no direct quote from Coach Gailey. He never said it. Things were taken out of context in my opinion. He IS NOT even close to the kind of coach that does not have all positions open for compitions. This has been discussed and Coach Gailey has been treated unfairly because of these press releases. It gives a bad reflection on him and the GT program.

Amazes me that some GT fans will bash the AJC over everything, then they'll use it as a source to complain and be negative towards their own head coach.

I don't care what Hollis said or the paper out in CA said. The QB position is up for grabs. That poor bit of writing by John Hollis has been used by GT fans to bash coach Gailey enough in my opinion.

Hollis said after the bowl that Gailey had changed his mind about the situation. I don't believe that for one second. Some information got mixed up to begin with is what happened. Maybe Hollis misunderstood Coach Gailey. When comments like the one Hollis wrote are given he needs to use direct quotes to back it up. He didn't do that.

To answer your question at the top Coach Braine isn't at risk at being fired.

When things are good they're never really as good as the fans think they are. UGA in my opinion will go through this. When things are bad they're never as bad as fans think they are. There are a lot of positives that you can find in what Dave Braine has done here as an Athletic Director. Can you find faults in him. Yes, can in anyone. ANYONE! His job isn't in trouble by a long shot.

Agreed. In this "age of information" it would be incredibly useful PR, not to mention informative, to include some sort of regular interaction with the fans. There's a slight possibility, and I'm probably chasing windmills here, that CG's not a big "sales type." I believe his degree was Phys Ed., a great major
wink.gif
, so he could be more of just a football coach ala (insert name here) than a media guy. Nothing damning in that. I'd rather him win championships than be lovely. However,

If someone had the position and inclination to make suggestions I'll bet he could see the value of having a regular column on ramblingwreck.com, for instance, or having a monthy, moderated chat online somewhere. I DON'T see any parallel between the investment the fans make and being able to rake him over the coals, take out frustrations on him or ask him why he didn't do this or that. Some serious consideration given towards some kind of communicating would be a smart move, in my opinion, even if he did reserve the classified information.

Stateline: You are correct. Daryl Dickey the AD at Tenn is friends with George Morris. The article in the paper that I read after Gailey was hired,is that Dickey called Morris and told him we should look at Chan Gailey with the Dolphins.

Morris told Dave Braine about the call from Dickey and the rest is history. I read this in the paper after the hire when Braine was asked somewhere how Chan Gailey got on his list.

Just thought I would toss this up for another look.

Note 83Jacket's post.

Back