2020 Recruiting

There are two 3 star DT's from Stanford with immediate eligibility in the transfer portal. If we have the space, they would provide a bridge to the new recruits.

There are two 3 star DT's from Stanford with immediate eligibility in the transfer portal. If we have the space, they would provide a bridge to the new recruits.
Can we at least determine if they are any good or not? After you have played in college, I tend to not look at the star rating. And I do have to ask why one would transfer out of Stanford.

Can we at least determine if they are any good or not? After you have played in college, I tend to not look at the star rating. And I do have to ask why one would transfer out of Stanford.

One (Swann) appears to be an impact player. I can't find any evidence that Bo Peek has played in his three years there. I know we need bodies at DT, but not sure a guy who hasn't even seen the field in three years is what we're looking for.

The recruiting class is excellent. Adding a large DT to this group would be swell. To assume that any DT we are targeting would be a day 1 starter is likely incorrect. Rarely have players stepped on campus out of high school and been a starting DT on day 1. The guys we have are going to have to grow with an additional year in the strength program and simply play better. Plus there are several players who were injured to end 2019 that will be healthy and ready to contribute.

Stanford has 13 players in the transfer portal last I looked. Much dissension with Shaw

The recruiting class is excellent. Adding a large DT to this group would be swell. To assume that any DT we are targeting would be a day 1 starter is likely incorrect. Rarely have players stepped on campus out of high school and been a starting DT on day 1. The guys we have are going to have to grow with an additional year in the strength program and simply play better. Plus there are several players who were injured to end 2019 that will be healthy and ready to contribute.
Well I agree with you and most normal circumstances, one or two of these guys will quite possibly contribute this year even if they are not a starter. Just because of lack of depth on the defensive line.

One (Swann) appears to be an impact player. I can't find any evidence that Bo Peek has played in his three years there. I know we need bodies at DT, but not sure a guy who hasn't even seen the field in three years is what we're looking for.
Peek was highly rated in high school. It is puzzling that he never played at Stanford. He is out of Plant HS in Tampa where Tucker Gleason played. I would think we would have a good insight into his potential.
Stanford is interesting with three DT's including their starter in the portal. They play a 3-4 with only one DT so there is less opportunity to play.

I agree, but let me clarify my point. Not saying we need a day 1 starter. We do need a day 1 contributor. ATL, if you prefer. Jahaziel and TK probably have the starting positions locked, but behind them right now there is a critical shortage of interior guys with the size the staff is looking for. Jahaziel returning means we need just 1 immediate contributor instead of 2 for a good rotation.

I agree, but let me clarify my point. Not saying we need a day 1 starter. We do need a day 1 contributor. ATL, if you prefer. Jahaziel and TK probably have the starting positions locked, but behind them right now there is a critical shortage of interior guys with the size the staff is looking for. Jahaziel returning means we need just 1 immediate contributor instead of 2 for a good rotation.
I agree with your statements. If you have paid attention to Clayton on the sidelines this year, he is NOTICEABLY bigger and built differently than anyone else we had on the line this year. Having his size & athleticism out there on the edges will help quite a bit.

When we played UNC, their freshman QB had time to write an email home before he threw the passes...I don't think he's going to have that kind of time this year. That, in and of itself, will change how teams are able to attack our defense when we aren't necessarily forced to bring 5 or 6 on every play to try and get pressure. I'm sure we still will do that but it will be nice to occasionally get pressure with just bringing four.

Jahaziel is coming back from an injury, so it’s not a done deal yet. I hope it is and I hope he comes back 100%, but it often takes guys a year of playing to get back to where they were before they were injured. Maybe it’s different for linemen. They need him.

For once in a long time I trust in this recruiting. Whether it be basketball or football, we are making great upgrades in the football program lets just see if the coaching and recruiting equals wins.

Was Jahaziel starting at DT before he got injured?

i actually wouldn’t be surprised to see Quon Griffin starting next season, he was really coming on strong at the end of ‘19

No. He was playing both ways, so they wanted to limit reps on DL. At a minimum he’s another big body on an interior DL that was really getting pushed around late in games as attrition set in.

It’s hard for me to understand how they would be playing somebody both ways who has NFL potential at DT, that doesn’t make sense

3. With 6 OL commits plus a transfer and 4 of the 7 enrolling in January, the "need" needle has shifted heavily back to interior DLs for 2020. The rest is explained by #1
I agree. However, he will be much closer to NFL potential after another year with our Coaches and our strength and conditioning staff.

Jahaziel is coming back from an injury, so it’s not a done deal yet. I hope it is and I hope he comes back 100%, but it often takes guys a year of playing to get back to where they were before they were injured. Maybe it’s different for linemen. They need him.

Just depends on how rehab goes. Sometimes it goes quite swell

Back