2021 Game at MBS.

Discussion in 'Football' started by georgiatech22, Sep 9, 2019.

1. eneq

eneq Junior Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    ITP Baybee
    Team:
    GT
    It could've been any of them.

In all seriousness, you could be thinking of Alcorn State. I was at one of those games at their band was more popular than the football team (That's just about every HBCU though).

2. TECHwrb

TECHwrb Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    McDonough, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Troy

3. GT98

GT98 Dodd-Like

Loc:
    parts unknown
    I believe it was S. Carolina State.

4. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    It has been suggested before, but our FCS game should be an HBCU every year and we should highlight it as a sort of event.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Olgoldandwhie

Olgoldandwhie Varsity Lurker

Loc:
    McRae, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I would like to schedule an FSU, Clemson, or ND and make it the MB game every year. A traditional must watch game. That would give us an extra in state game every other year. This could be attractive for the simple reason everyone wants to recruit this state.

6. Akinji07

Akinji07 Inventor of Thursdays

Loc:
    Hobo Tailgate
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    No let's go 7-5 against Duke, UNC and WF instead. That will peak fan interest.

• Like Like x 3
  7. gtrower

gtrower Dodd-Like

Loc:
    DC
    Team:
    GT
    Literally the three best teams on VTs 2019 home schedule. :lol2:

8. gtGreg768b

gtGreg768b Elemenopee

Loc:
    Atlanta, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I get it, and I certainly understand that logic. I also know we won't get to the CFP with 2 losses (unless a really weird year happens).

9. 05GTCorndog

05GTCorndog Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Your mom
    Team:
    Ramblin Wreck
    This.

We are in program building mode not 'play anyone anytime' mode. Gotta get the wins and build the program.

• Like Like x 1
  10. smokey_wasp

smokey_wasp Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Kennesaw, GA
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    We wouldn't get in with two regardless of our schedule, I don't think. Our schedule is good enough to get in with 1 loss. That's about all you can ask for.

11. gtfan1147

gtfan1147 Dodd-Like

Bowls select on overall record now, not conference record. So Tech is always going to get stuck with the Detroit type trips when 8-4 because 7-5 teams are eligible to be picked ahead. You need to be 2 games clear of other available teams.

So having Notre Dame and Georgia games built into the schedule are tough enough. Schedule the other games to at least get to 2-2 non-conference. It’s frustrating seeing other teams go 2-6 or 3-5 in their conferences and get to bowls because they schedule themselves to be able to go 6-6. Meanwhile, Tech went 4-4 in ACC in 2017 and missed a bowl. That fricking sucks. I’ll bet you no other team who hasn’t gone .500 or better in conference has missed a bowl in a while.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JJacket

JJacket 1st to pass for 2500 and rush for 1000

Loc:
    THWG
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    After last game's heat, I welcome playing our first game at MBS

13. GT flunkout

GT flunkout your mom

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    GEORGIA TECH
    Total false equivalence wrt Alabama. They get to play three patsies at home every year because they get the luxury of a neutral site P5 game almost every year, and...they don't have to worry about any shortage of games to excite the fan base. Every one of their opponents in the SEC brings its own brand of rivalry and big-time atmosphere. Pitt and Duke and UNC and UVA just don't.

Meanwhile in 2019 at Georgia Tech, our 7 game home schedule includes only two opponents that could remotely be considered interesting to the average fan.

All that said, I think we have the right balance most years.

UGA
    P5/Notre Dame/BYU
    G5/FCS
    FCS

14. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I would like to see us schedule VMI, Citadel or a HBCU rather than an in state team that competes with us for press coverage and fan support. In addition, I think Rice or SMU should be a future possibility for a home/away to enhance recruiting in Texas (name school with a high win probability for us).

• Like Like x 1
  15. 18in32

18in32 Petard Hoister

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    No reason those can't be the same mode. Often coaches trying to raise the public profile of their program will want to play tougher opponents – a loss is expected and no shame, a victory is amazing and generates national headlines.

16. ronricks

ronricks Flats Noob

Loc:
    Atlanta
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    Bama gets a ridiculous 5 mil guarantee for those neutral site games. Why would they turn that down? You think we wouldn’t take that offer?

Quick look at Bama’s Schedule under Saban shows they have played regular season games against:

Clemson
    FSU x2
    VT x2
    Penn State (home and home)
    Southern California
    Wisconsin
    Michigan
    West Virginia

They blew the doors off all these teams sans FSU and VT the first game. The rematches they crushed them.

They have Southern Cal for 2020 Miami for 2021 and then home and homes scheduled with Notre Dame, Texas, and Wisconsin. Doesn’t matter who they play as long as Saban is there if it is a home and home or neutral site they are going to destroy anyone not named Clemson right now out of conference.

• Like Like x 1
  17. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    Huh. In 2019 at BDS@HGF we play USF and UGA out of conference, a good Citadel, UNC, VPI, NCS, and PITT at home. That's a pretty strong home schedule.

18. midatlantech

midatlantech Dodd-Like

Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    Regarding playing Auburn in a three game series. I always loved the Auburn games, but I may have to change my mind now. CGC is pushing the 404 thing. We probably don't want to bring Auburn into the 404 and help them recruit our boys. The reality is Auburn lives on 404 and GA recruits and for us to be successful, we have to bite into their pipeline. I suspect we will not do the Auburn thing and will play teams like USCe, Texas, NW, Cincy, UConn, UT, Tulane, Rice.

19. BrentwoodJacket

BrentwoodJacket Damn Good Rat

Loc:
    Brentwood, Tennessee
    Team:
    Georgia Tech
    I would remove USCe and UT for the same reason as Auburn. Add SMU for Texas recruiting.