2021 Recruiting

Anyone have any opinions of Kamari Lassiter? CB from Tuscaloosa. Three or four stars, depending on your source. Has offers from everybody.

Plays faster than his timed speed. Tracks the ball well in the air. Plays plus run support.

Anyway, we in Top 6. He has a 4.27 GPA.

Anyone have any opinions of Kamari Lassiter? CB from Tuscaloosa. Three or four stars, depending on your source. Has offers from everybody.

Plays faster than his timed speed. Tracks the ball well in the air. Plays plus run support.

Anyway, we in Top 6. He has a 4.27 GPA.
We're in good company.

There is also a S (Cam Jeffery) from his HS that we like a lot. Not sure if they are trying to play in college together.

We're in good company.

There is also a S (Cam Jeffery) from his HS that we like a lot. Not sure if they are trying to play in college together.

Probably not. There's a real difference in the offer list between the two.

Cam looks too small for safety, to me. Looks like a physical corner. I think he's fast enough. Not sure his hips are loose enough, but I'm just guessing. Both these two look well-coached and appear to enjoy the game.

That team's quarterback throws a nice deep ball, and with these two playing offense at times, that's pretty much all he needs to do.

PS. Cam gets his grades, too. Love it.

Seems like at this point we've got no glaring gaps in terms of need, and going forward we should be holding out for high choice prospects like Kaleb.

Seems like at this point we've got no glaring gaps in terms of need, and going forward we should be holding out for high choice prospects like Kaleb.
Agreed. Pairing this class with last year’s, it’s pretty obvious that this staff is building some real depth across position groups.

Now is the time to turn a really good, top 35 class into a great top 20/25 class (depending on # of commits we’re going after this year). I’d like to see a top RB, CB, LB, and DT personally. That would ensure future depth at positions of strength (RB, CB), while bringing in top talent in places where we are building depth but aren’t necessarily areas of strength yet (LB, DT).

That said, if we take some 4* guys in other positions, I won’t be complaining.

Agreed. Pairing this class with last year’s, it’s pretty obvious that this staff is building some real depth across position groups.

Now is the time to turn a really good, top 35 class into a great top 20/25 class (depending on # of commits we’re going after this year). I’d like to see a top RB, CB, LB, and DT personally. That would ensure future depth at positions of strength (RB, CB), while bringing in top talent in places where we are building depth but aren’t necessarily areas of strength yet (LB, DT).

That said, if we take some 4* guys in other positions, I won’t be complaining.

If we go without a RB in this class I think we'll be OK - we have 3 guys who would start for most teams and none of them graduate after 2021. Plus we're well-positioned with Damari Alston next year. But I would dearly like to stick the landing with an aggressive DT and a speedy corner.

If we go without a RB in this class I think we'll be OK - we have 3 guys who would start for most teams and none of them graduate after 2021. Plus we're well-positioned with Damari Alston next year. But I would dearly like to stick the landing with an aggressive DT and a speedy corner.
Yes, if there is anywhere I would be okay deviating it is RB. We are stacked there. That said, I think it’s a good idea to take 1 RB per year - it ensures continued depth. I also believe coach Choice has something up his sleeve on the recruiting trail. He’s too good of a RB coach and recruiter to not have a 4*+ back interested in GT every year. Excited to see who he’s pulling to GT this year (assuming we have a scholarship open for RB).

Think we want 1 more WR, 1 more TE, at least 2 more OL, and 2 more LB. Probably not taking a RB this class.

Positionally, I know I want 1 more TE, 1 more OL, 1 more DT, and 1 more LB. Beyond that, it depends on who we are deep on getting. If we miss a target, I'm not sure we need to go to Plan B. Some of you hate having ships go unfilled, but I hate filling them with people who will never see the field.

One advantage of not taking a RB, and I am sure our staff knows this tactic, is we can tell 2022 running backs that we love them so much we're not even trying to sign anyone this year, that the path is open for them.

Back