2021 Recruiting

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like

Some buzz around this grad transfer O-lineman, Kenneth "KJ" Kirby. Transferring up from FCS to get some P5 film to improve his draft stock.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like

Some buzz around this grad transfer O-lineman, Kenneth "KJ" Kirby. Transferring up from FCS to get some P5 film to improve his draft stock.
I used to think of FCS as little league wasteland of slow and small athletes that couldnt cut it at the FBS level until I started following HS football recruiting at a much deeper level and even got to know a few ex-FCS (I-AA) athletes and it hit me how elite an athlete you have to be just to make *any* D-1 scholarship, FCS or FBS. The recruited linemen for FCS don't look any different than the recruited linemen for FBS, for example. Everyone requires 6'4+ monsters regardless of level with the only exception being the triple option/veer teams. The bottom of FBS and top of FCS is blurred anymore anyway.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I stopped thinking FCS athletes were 2nd rate after seeing a game between Mississippi Valley State and somebody back in the 80s.

MVS had a pretty good wide receiver that ended up being a mediocre pro named Jerry Rice.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
FCS athletes are 2nd rate. You guys are insane and talking out of your asses
It's like poker hands - a certain number will turn out good. There are quite a few Hall of Famers from FCS schools. We are talking 18 year olds entering college, there will be a certain number of late bloomers but of course not as many highest quality players as those who bloom on time.

OptionsJacket

BpBuSp
It's like poker hands - a certain number will turn out good. There are quite a few Hall of Famers from FCS schools. We are talking 18 year olds entering college, there will be a certain number of late bloomers but of course not as many highest quality players as those who bloom on time.
There are exceptions to every rule, sure.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
FCS athletes are 2nd rate. You guys are insane and talking out of your asses
I used to think this way until recently I got a lot closer to the HS football recruiting process and realized these are all D-1 level athletes regardless of FCS or FBS designation so clearly a lot of high caliber underrated guys go the FCS route. Just look at how many FCS guys play in the NFL if you really need to convince yourself. In short, you have to be a ridiculous athlete to play D-1 ball, even at the FCS level.