2023 GT Spring Ball Thread

Toughness a defining trait in Georgia Tech quarterback derby
Georgia Tech quarterback Zach Pyron (14) celebrates a touchdown run in the second half of an NCAA college football game against Virginia Tech, Saturday, Nov. 5 2022, in Blacksburg, Va. (Matt Gentry/The Roanoke Times via AP)

Caption
Credit: AP

GEORGIA TECH
By Ken Sugiura, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
8 hours ago

Georgia Tech’s starting quarterback has yet to be identified. When that decision is made, it can be reasonably assumed that that player – most likely Zach Pyron, Zach Gibson or Haynes King – will have revealed a high degree of toughness in the process.

Since becoming the interim coach four games into the 2022 season and in the months since becoming the full-time coach, coach Brent Key has made no secret of the importance he places on the trait. Further, not only did Key bring it up regarding the quarterback group in his remarks after the first day of spring practice March 13, but in the first days of spring practice so did new offensive coordinator Buster Faulkner and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke.
“We start every meeting with that word,” said Weinke, the word being toughness. “I think a lot of people don’t relate toughness to the quarterback position. Since my playing days and since I started coaching, it’s always been the first word. I want smart, tough quarterbacks. Those guys show that every day.”

Said Faulkner, “The beautiful thing is coach Weinke and I agree on the same thing when you’re looking for a quarterback. You’re looking for a guy that’s the toughest guy on the field. Bottom line. He’s got to be extremely tough, got to be a great leader, all the intangibles.”

To Key, it is a term that covers a lot of ground, more than perhaps the most obvious concept of being physically durable. Toughness, for example, is not somebody that gets into fights, according to Key.

“Toughness is how you run to the football, how you carry out a fake on a (bootleg),” he said. “What are you doing on the sideline after you just went six plays – what are you doing with your teammates? What type of leadership are you showing around those guys? Do you have the ability to sustain through not just a practice but an entire spring?”
Perhaps no additional confirmation was needed regarding the value that Key has put on perseverance and diligence. But the fact that he is demanding toughness (in all its forms) out of the primary leadership position on the team is another signal of its priority and the identity that Key is trying to create for his team.

All three of the quarterbacks on the roster have demonstrated it in various ways. Pyron showed a willingness to run for tough yards on scrambles. After suffering a broken clavicle against Miami on such a run, he stayed in for one more play before giving way to Gibson. At Texas A&M, King revealed his endurance by playing through a shoulder injury suffered during the 2022 season and by earning honors from the team for his attitude, toughness and performance in the weight room.
Gibson demonstrated his mettle last year as he rebounded from underwhelming performances against Virginia and Florida State that led to him lose his spot to Pyron. In the game after Pyron’s season-ending injury, Gibson led the Jackets to their biggest win of the season, a road upset of then-No. 13 North Carolina.
While the Jackets are unusual in having three scholarship quarterbacks, their quarterback group is also unlike most in that Pyron (two career starts), Gibson (17, including 14 at Akron) and King (seven, all at Texas A&M) all have started at the FBS level. Key called it a blessing in disguise to have three quarterbacks and not more, as it can be difficult to run more than three offenses in a practice. (It’s possible that Tech could add a fourth quarterback after spring practice, although Key said “it’s got to be a good fit.”)
As he teaches his offensive scheme, Faulkner has made it easier for the quarterbacks and the rest of the offense by retaining much of the terminology that former coordinator Chip Long had used.
“We’ll carry over whatever makes sense, and then we’ll create new things,” Weinke said. “Obviously, Buster will have the final say in all of that, but I think the ability to be able to carry over some of those things – we all understand this offense is going to run through the quarterback, and the better understanding he has and his functional ability to be able to process information will be crucial in terms of our success in this offense.”

Caption
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets quarterback Zach Gibson (15) runs the ball against the Georgia Bulldogs at Sanford Stadium, Saturday, November 26, 2022, in Athens, Ga. Jason Getz / Jason.Getz@ajc.com)

Credit: Jason Getz / Jason.Getz@ajc.com

Weinke said that he gives the three equal amounts of practice time. (Faulkner said that “I don’t see that changing anytime at all in the near future.”)
“The way I do it is, I don’t let them know when they’re getting the reps,” he said. “Each of them will get reps with the 1′s and the 2′s, and I want them to be able to come off the sideline and go in and operate a play.”
King, the transfer from Texas A&M, has picked up the offense quickly, Weinke said. The two had an existing relationship, as Weinke had recruited King out of high school when he was an assistant coach at Tennessee. Weinke, in fact, was the first coach that King’s father reached out to as his son was making plans to go into the transfer portal.
“He’s the son of a coach, so I think we always like those kids that are sons of coaches,” Weinke said. “He’s been around football his whole life. His football knowledge is really, really good. Obviously, (he has) been a starter in the SEC, he understands it. He’s really competitive. He’s athletic.”

Caption
Texas A&M quarterback Haynes King (13) runs for a first down as Sam Houston State's Tyler Moore (45) defends the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022, in College Station, Texas. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

Pyron perhaps made the biggest impression of the three with Tech fans by leading the Jackets to a 28-27 win at Virginia Tech, a game that the Jackets trailed 27-16 after three quarters. Pyron led the Jackets to fourth-quarter touchdowns on drives of 90 and 73 yards, finishing the second drive with a nine-yard scramble for a touchdown.
“Zach Pyron has come off of his surgery very nicely,” Weinke said.
With the institute on spring break this week, spring practice will resume next Monday, and the competition at quarterback with it.
“We have to set the expectation for the football team. We’ve got to show great leadership,” Weinke said. “We’ve got to be functional thinking but above all else, we’ve got to be mentally and physically tough.”

Toughness a defining trait in Georgia Tech quarterback derby
Georgia Tech quarterback Zach Pyron (14) celebrates a touchdown run in the second half of an NCAA college football game against Virginia Tech, Saturday, Nov. 5 2022, in Blacksburg, Va. (Matt Gentry/The Roanoke Times via AP)

Caption

GEORGIA TECH
8 hours ago

Georgia Tech’s starting quarterback has yet to be identified. When that decision is made, it can be reasonably assumed that that player – most likely Zach Pyron, Zach Gibson or Haynes King – will have revealed a high degree of toughness in the process.

Since becoming the interim coach four games into the 2022 season and in the months since becoming the full-time coach, coach Brent Key has made no secret of the importance he places on the trait. Further, not only did Key bring it up regarding the quarterback group in his remarks after the first day of spring practice March 13, but in the first days of spring practice so did new offensive coordinator Buster Faulkner and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke.
“We start every meeting with that word,” said Weinke, the word being toughness. “I think a lot of people don’t relate toughness to the quarterback position. Since my playing days and since I started coaching, it’s always been the first word. I want smart, tough quarterbacks. Those guys show that every day.”

Said Faulkner, “The beautiful thing is coach Weinke and I agree on the same thing when you’re looking for a quarterback. You’re looking for a guy that’s the toughest guy on the field. Bottom line. He’s got to be extremely tough, got to be a great leader, all the intangibles.”

To Key, it is a term that covers a lot of ground, more than perhaps the most obvious concept of being physically durable. Toughness, for example, is not somebody that gets into fights, according to Key.

“Toughness is how you run to the football, how you carry out a fake on a (bootleg),” he said. “What are you doing on the sideline after you just went six plays – what are you doing with your teammates? What type of leadership are you showing around those guys? Do you have the ability to sustain through not just a practice but an entire spring?”
Perhaps no additional confirmation was needed regarding the value that Key has put on perseverance and diligence. But the fact that he is demanding toughness (in all its forms) out of the primary leadership position on the team is another signal of its priority and the identity that Key is trying to create for his team.

All three of the quarterbacks on the roster have demonstrated it in various ways. Pyron showed a willingness to run for tough yards on scrambles. After suffering a broken clavicle against Miami on such a run, he stayed in for one more play before giving way to Gibson. At Texas A&M, King revealed his endurance by playing through a shoulder injury suffered during the 2022 season and by earning honors from the team for his attitude, toughness and performance in the weight room.
Gibson demonstrated his mettle last year as he rebounded from underwhelming performances against Virginia and Florida State that led to him lose his spot to Pyron. In the game after Pyron’s season-ending injury, Gibson led the Jackets to their biggest win of the season, a road upset of then-No. 13 North Carolina.
While the Jackets are unusual in having three scholarship quarterbacks, their quarterback group is also unlike most in that Pyron (two career starts), Gibson (17, including 14 at Akron) and King (seven, all at Texas A&M) all have started at the FBS level. Key called it a blessing in disguise to have three quarterbacks and not more, as it can be difficult to run more than three offenses in a practice. (It’s possible that Tech could add a fourth quarterback after spring practice, although Key said “it’s got to be a good fit.”)
As he teaches his offensive scheme, Faulkner has made it easier for the quarterbacks and the rest of the offense by retaining much of the terminology that former coordinator Chip Long had used.
“We’ll carry over whatever makes sense, and then we’ll create new things,” Weinke said. “Obviously, Buster will have the final say in all of that, but I think the ability to be able to carry over some of those things – we all understand this offense is going to run through the quarterback, and the better understanding he has and his functional ability to be able to process information will be crucial in terms of our success in this offense.”

Caption
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets quarterback Zach Gibson (15) runs the ball against the Georgia Bulldogs at Sanford Stadium, Saturday, November 26, 2022, in Athens, Ga. Jason Getz / Jason.Getz@ajc.com)

Weinke said that he gives the three equal amounts of practice time. (Faulkner said that “I don’t see that changing anytime at all in the near future.”)
“The way I do it is, I don’t let them know when they’re getting the reps,” he said. “Each of them will get reps with the 1′s and the 2′s, and I want them to be able to come off the sideline and go in and operate a play.”
King, the transfer from Texas A&M, has picked up the offense quickly, Weinke said. The two had an existing relationship, as Weinke had recruited King out of high school when he was an assistant coach at Tennessee. Weinke, in fact, was the first coach that King’s father reached out to as his son was making plans to go into the transfer portal.
“He’s the son of a coach, so I think we always like those kids that are sons of coaches,” Weinke said. “He’s been around football his whole life. His football knowledge is really, really good. Obviously, (he has) been a starter in the SEC, he understands it. He’s really competitive. He’s athletic.”

Caption
Texas A&M quarterback Haynes King (13) runs for a first down as Sam Houston State's Tyler Moore (45) defends the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022, in College Station, Texas. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)'s Tyler Moore (45) defends the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022, in College Station, Texas. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

Pyron perhaps made the biggest impression of the three with Tech fans by leading the Jackets to a 28-27 win at Virginia Tech, a game that the Jackets trailed 27-16 after three quarters. Pyron led the Jackets to fourth-quarter touchdowns on drives of 90 and 73 yards, finishing the second drive with a nine-yard scramble for a touchdown.
With the institute on spring break this week, spring practice will resume next Monday, and the competition at quarterback with it.
“We have to set the expectation for the football team. We’ve got to show great leadership,” Weinke said. “We’ve got to be functional thinking but above all else, we’ve got to be mentally and physically tough.”
Great words and all, but what's everyone going to say if they announce Gibson as the starter?

Great words and all, but what's everyone going to say if they announce Gibson as the starter?
Gibson? The guy with better stats than Heisman hopeful Drake May in our 21-unanswered point comeback against UNC after being down 17-0 with 35 minutes left in the game?

Put me down for - if he beat out Pyron and King - he earned it.

More new faces among Georgia Tech running backs
Georgia Tech running back Dontae Smith celebrates a touchdown against Western Carolina last season. (Arvin Temkar file photo / arvin.temkar@ajc.com)

Caption
Credit: arvin.temkar@ajc.com

GEORGIA TECH
45 minutes ago

Georgia Tech running back Dontae Smith has seen a little bit in his many days in a Yellow Jackets uniform. Going into his sixth season – he redshirted in 2018 and is using his extra COVID-19 season of eligibility – he is on his third head coach in Brent Key and his fifth position coach in Norval McKenzie.

“Working with so many different people, you learn a lot of philosophies, you see a lot of different coaching styles,” Smith said last week at the end of Tech’s first week of spring practice. “You see a lot of different coaching styles. You get taught a lot of different stuff, what people are learning from other coaches in their coaching career. I take it all in and just apply it.”
The transition not only has been at the coaching level. In part because of his extended career, but also because of the increasingly transient nature of the game, Smith has shared meeting rooms and carries with a breadth of running backs – Clinton Lynch, Jordan Mason, Jamious Griffin, Jerry Howard, Jahmyr Gibbs and Hassan Hall among them. He has seen at least eight fellow backs transfer in or out or both.

The 2023 running back group has remade itself again. Trey Cooley has arrived out of the transfer portal from Louisville. Kaleb Edwards, who switched from defensive back late last season, is in his first spring with the running backs. Evan Dickens is an early-enrollee freshman from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, (and Blessed Trinity before that). Jamie Felix and Antonio Martin return, Felix as a sophomore and Martin as a redshirt freshman. Smith is the only one of the six who played running back for the Jackets in 2021.
Smith offered insight into each, his pride as a leader obvious. He said Edwards “loves to hit,” bringing that physical style from defense, and lowered his body-fat percentage.
“For him to do this switch after how many years he’s been in college and come to offense and running back again (after playing running back in high school), because he’s done pretty well with it, I’m proud of him,” Smith said.
Smith said Felix and Martin also have shaped their bodies since last season.
“As a (meeting) room leader, they make being a leader extremely easy,” Smith said. “They do everything right, they listen, they work hard. As a leader of the room, that’s all I can ask for.”
Dickens has shown aptitude in learning the offense.
“Evan is one of the smartest freshman I’ve seen,” Smith said. “He picked it up (quickly). He knows everything in and out, does everything right, class is good. I don’t know what else to ask for.”
Smith said he and Cooley connected quickly.
“Hassan was his leader (at Louisville), so when he came in, we accepted him,” Smith said. “It was like we had known him for so long. He’s another one – he works hard, he does everything right. Also, he’s fast, so when we’re running in conditioning – also, Evan is, too – I’ve got somebody to challenge me every day.”
Smith is the leading returning rusher, having gained 420 yards on 87 carries for five touchdowns last season as he split time with Hall, who ran for 521 yards in his sole season with the Jackets. Felix is the only other running-back returnee who had carries last season (23 rushes for 80 yards). In two seasons at Louisville, Cooley ran 145 times for 709 yards and three touchdowns.
Smith has kept his attitude positive despite the turnover and four consecutive losing seasons and been patient for his turn to start. He has been a productive backup – he has averaged 5.6 yards per carry – but has started only six games.
“I want guys to be able to run, be able to catch,” new offensive coordinator Buster Faulkner said last week after the team’s second practice of the spring. “I don’t want just a running back that can run the ball and struggles catching the ball out of the backfield. We want to be able to get them the ball in space, throwing it to ‘em and handing it to ‘em. The biggest thing that I’ve seen out of that group is their ability to learn. They’ve done a really good job of picking this up.”
Smith gives his approval of his fifth and final position coach (following Lamar Owens, Tashard Choice, Mike Daniels and Donald Hill-Eley). McKenzie was hired by Key from Vanderbilt. McKenzie is big on the backs using proper footwork and knowing both their assignments and the offensive line’s.
“You’ve got to know everything,” Smith said.
Smith also likes that McKenzie’s practice drills are effective. He said when the team scrimmages in practice, the backs will come back to the sideline excited, recognizing the usage of a skill developed in a drill.
“I like him a lot,” Smith said.
Given Smith’s depth of knowledge about running backs coaches, McKenzie should take that as high praise.

New group to develop at wide receiver for Georgia Tech
Georgia Tech wide receiver Malik Rutherford works out during a spring practice session. Of the 134 receptions made by Yellow Jackets receivers last season, 106 of them were made by players no longer on the roster. (Miguel Martinez /miguel.martinezjimenez@ajc.com)

Caption
Credit: Miguel Martinez

GEORGIA TECH
38 minutes ago

This is the third installment in an eight-part series breaking down each position group as the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets continue their spring practice, which will culminate in the annual spring intrasquad game at 1 p.m. April 15 at Bobby Dodd Stadium.

The challenge of identifying the players who will replace departed starters is a process of virtually every offseason and spring practice. The work is particularly encompassing for Georgia Tech’s wide receiver group this spring.
Of the 134 receptions made by Yellow Jackets receivers, 106 of them were made by players no longer on the roster. Of the 134, 100 belonged to Nate McCollum (transferred to North Carolina) and Malachi Carter and E.J. Jenkins (both pursuing the NFL).

“Obviously, coming in, it was a position of concern, just because you had those guys leaving, but that would be anywhere that you are,” new offensive coordinator Buster Faulkner said.

Faulkner spoke last week after Tech’s second practice of the spring. The Jackets are off this week for spring break and will resume Monday. He continued, offering a dose of eyebrow-raising optimism.

I couldn’t be more excited about a (group),” Faulkner said. “There are guys that are hungry. I think we’ve got some size, we’ve got some speed. We’ve just got to continue to develop them. They haven’t played a lot, and that’s OK.”
The position coach is new, too. Coach Brent Key hired Josh Crawford from Western Kentucky. Crawford had been with the Hilltoppers for two seasons following an 11-year career coaching high school football at five schools in Georgia.

McCollum stands as an example of the progress that a player can make from one season to the next. As a freshman, he played in six games and caught two passes. In 2021, his second season, mostly playing behind Kyric McGowan, he played all 12 games and had 13 catches.
Last season, he ascended into the starting lineup and despite playing with four different quarterbacks, hauled in 60 receptions for 655 yards. His 5.5 receptions-per-game average ranked sixth in the ACC.
Malik Rutherford, whose 23 catches last season tied for third on the team and are the most of any returning player, could become a go-to target this fall.
Quarterbacks coach and co-offensive coordinator Chris Weinke called him unique and dynamic.
“He’s been outstanding,” he said. “Love his ability. It is our job to get the ball in his hands.”
Rutherford was critical to Tech’s upset of then-No. 13 North Carolina, catching six passes for 68 yards (both career highs) and four first downs. Playing in place of an injured McCollum, Rutherford used his speed and quickness to find openings and gain yards after the catch against the Tar Heels. Faulkner and Key have spoken of the priority on getting the ball to playmakers in the open field, and Rutherford likely would be a candidate.
“Malik Rutherford’s a guy that, I don’t know if he’s probably ever gotten the credit that he deserves,” Faulkner said. “He’s quick. Excited about him.”
With his mix of size and speed, Leo Blackburn (6-foot-5, 221 pounds) may have the most promise of any receiver. After missing his first season (2021) with an ACL tear, Blackburn caught five passes for 81 yards this past season, probably the most memorable being a 37-yard touchdown pass against Duke.
“A guy that I’ve been extremely encouraged with and still battling the wrist injury is Leo Blackburn,” Faulkner said. “The guy comes to work every day with a smile on his face, and that’s exactly what you want. So he’s been great.”
Two transfers, Christian Leary (Alabama) and Abdul Janneh (Duquesne) also were on Faulkner’s radar last week after the team’s second practice of the spring. Leary, a four-star prospect coming out of high school, played in 18 games in two seasons with the Crimson Tide, making three catches for 10 yards and a touchdown. Janneh earned all-conference honors last season in the Northeast Conference of the FCS, catching 43 passes for 579 yards and nine touchdowns.
“Obviously, Christian Leary’s a guy that’s had a lot of reps,” Faulkner said. “He’s come in and done some good things. Abdul’s shown up. We’ve just continued to develop them, continued to work with them, and hopefully we continue to see strides each and every day.”
Weinke said he could see Leary stepping in to replace McCollum and said of Janneh that he “comes from a smaller program, but he’s a longer guy. As he continues to learn, I think you’ll see a lot of production out of him, as well.”
Others competing for spots in the rotation are returnees D.J. Moore, Avery Boyd, Jamal Haynes, James BlackStrain and Juju Lewis and early-enrollee freshman Zion Taylor. Chase Lane, a transfer from Texas A&M who will arrive after this semester, could be a significant addition. Lane caught 48 passes for 617 yards and two touchdowns in 27 games with the Aggies. Two more incoming freshmen are Bryce Dopson and Eric Singleton, who has run the 100-meter dash this spring in 10.35 seconds, a time that would have put him into the finals of last year’s ACC outdoor track and field championship.
As Faulkner prepares the Jackets to play his scheme, the race is on to have a group that didn’t have much of a role in last season’s offense ready by the time the season starts against Louisville on Sept. 1 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
“I feel very good about that (group) right now, and then the additions that are coming to us,” Weinke said. “So we’re excited about it.”

Maybe true. But he actually really seemed like he did not want to discuss his last job. But it sounded like Kelly and Ken who kept asking about it. Fair questions kind of. They kept asking if he’d run an offense like he did at uga. Bro…I was just an analyst and qb whisperer at uga.
The Jack Ryan defense always plays

Interesting that Blackstrain is lumped in with the also-rans.

Turfness a defining trait in Georgia Tech quarterback derby

Caption

GEORGIA TECH
8 hours ago

Georgia Tech’s starting quarterback has yet to be identified. When that decision is made, it can be reasonably assumed that that player – most likely Zach Pyron, Zach Gibson or Haynes King – will have revealed a high degree of turfness in the process.

“We start every meeting with that word,” said Weinke, the word being turfness. “I think a lot of people don’t relate turfness to the quarterback position. Since my playing days and since I started coaching, it’s always been the first word. I want smart, turf quarterbacks. Those guys show that every day.”

Said Faulkner, “The beautiful thing is coach Weinke and I agree on the same thing when you’re looking for a quarterback. You’re looking for a guy that’s the turfest guy on the field. Bottom line. He’s got to be extremely turf, got to be a great leader, all the intangibles.”

To Key, it is a term that covers a lot of ground, more than perhaps the most obvious concept of being physically durable. Turfness, for example, is not somebody that gets into fights, according to Key.

“Turfness is how you run to the football, how you carry out a fake on a (bootleg),” he said. “What are you doing on the sideline after you just went six plays – what are you doing with your teammates? What type of leadership are you showing around those guys? Do you have the ability to sustain through not just a practice but an entire spring?”
Perhaps no additional confirmation was needed regarding the value that Key has put on perseverance and diligence. But the fact that he is demanding turfness (in all its forms) out of the primary leadership position on the team is another signal of its priority and the identity that Key is trying to create for his team.

All three of the quarterbacks on the roster have demonstrated it in various ways. Pyron showed a willingness to run for turf yards on scrambles. After suffering a broken clavicle against Miami on such a run, he stayed in for one more play before giving way to Gibson. At Texas A&M, King revealed his endurance by playing through a shoulder injury suffered during the 2022 season and by earning honors from the team for his attitude, turfness and performance in the weight room.

Caption

Caption
Texas A&M quarterback Haynes King (13) runs for a first down as Sam Houston State's Tyler Moore (45) defends the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022, in College Station, Texas. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)'s Tyler Moore (45) defends the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 3, 2022, in College Station, Texas. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

“We have to set the expectation for the football team. We’ve got to show great leadership,” Weinke said. “We’ve got to be functional thinking but above all else, we’ve got to be mentally and physically and artificially turf.”
Now we're talking.

I don't think I have seen this posted anywhere else on here, but I apologize if it has and I missed it. This is an incredible interview (no video; just transcript) with Coach Key.

Basically CPJ that graduated here and doesn't 3O.

“The game of football is played in practice leading up to the game. It's how well you're prepared and has zero to do with any sentimental thing. I believe in practicing and preparing well.”

The difference between Coach Key and the former guy is exemplified by this statement.

Back