247 Article on Recruiting Trail

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
“When I was growing up and when I was here in the late 90s, early 2000s, Georgia Tech was always a Top20 program playing for championships and playing in New Year’s bowl games," Collins stated. "College GameDay was here. Playing for and winning ACC Championships. National implication games were the norm here.

“That’s the way I see Georgia Tech," he continued. "The challenge is to restore that and make sure were in the forefront of the national conversation at all times. We’re going to make Georgia Tech relevant again on the national stage. First were going to do it in recruiting, branding and culture. The next phase will be on the field becoming the elite program we’re supposed to be.”

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
"the elite program we're supposed to be." Once upon a time, there were only 20 or 25 "supposed to be elite" programs. Today many of those programs have experienced the bitter reality that dozens of programs are vying to be elite through their performance on the field. I know some of the rhetoric is "juice enhancing", but the better teams are not excellent because the are supposed to be, they are excellent because they do the things required to make them excellent. That is the fact I hope is not getting lost in the hype. We will be elite when the scoreboard says we are elite. I am sure Michigan, and Arkansas, and FSU, and Miami, and Tennessee all feel they are supposed to be elite programs.

Olgoldandwhie

Flats Noob
"the elite program we're supposed to be." Once upon a time, there were only 20 or 25 "supposed to be elite" programs. Today many of those programs have experienced the bitter reality that dozens of programs are vying to be elite through their performance on the field. I know some of the rhetoric is "juice enhancing", but the better teams are not excellent because the are supposed to be, they are excellent because they do the things required to make them excellent. That is the fact I hope is not getting lost in the hype. We will be elite when the scoreboard says we are elite. I am sure Michigan, and Arkansas, and FSU, and Miami, and Tennessee all feel they are supposed to be elite programs.
You had me until Arkansas.

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
I must have missed that magical time period in “the late 90s early 2000s” when we were always in the top 20 and always playing for championships.

We had three top 20 finishes (one of those a top 10 in one poll) in 99, 00, 01 with one tie for 1st in the ACC. Our best win record was 10 games and we were never in the national championship conversation.

I remember in the late O’s early 10’s when we had some top 20 finishes, played for and won a championship, and played in and won a NY 6 bowl.

I appreciate the “juice”, but let’s not revise history here.

TechRush

Dodd-Like
The last time Tech was elite was prior to the banning of segregation.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I must have missed that magical time period in “the late 90s early 2000s” when we were always in the top 20 and always playing for championships.

We had three top 20 finishes (one of those a top 10 in one poll) in 99, 00, 01 with one tie for 1st in the ACC. Our best win record was 10 games and we were never in the national championship conversation.

I remember in the late O’s early 10’s when we had some top 20 finishes, played for and won a championship, and played in and won a NY 6 bowl.

I appreciate the “juice”, but let’s not revise history here.
Yeah, we were "tied for 1st in the ACC" with the team that beat us like a drum 34-7 in Atlanta.