2nd half BYU-GT, frame by frame analysis

BEESerk

Flats Noob
I finally got through watching the Tivo replay, here it is:

The second half can be summarized by more of the same. Same play calling, same formations, and same defense. After watching the second half, Gailey didn’t “open it up” really until 1:55 left in the second half. That was the first time we used a new formation. I would have to assume that Gailey wasn’t even “opening it up” then, he was just running a two-minute offense. For the rest of the second half, we ran the same two formations and the same exact plays. We did add a couple of screen passes, and the pass to Dixon. Other than that the offense and defense was the same as the first half.

Random thoughts and comments:

1) The offensive guard positions were switched for GT. Meaning left moved to right and right moved to left.

2) BYU came out in a new, “I” formation on their opening drive, and used at least one other new formation in this half. They mixed these in with their other 3 or 4 formations from the first half. They threw in a couple of counter draw plays this half.

3) One time we blitz, their RB gets by the first man. 6 more GT players touch him before he goes down for a good gain.

4) Their first TD in this half… our LB’s bit on play action, and then Fox had to pick up their TE for man coverage. Fox got burned.
5) On our first offensive play of this half, we come out in the same 2-receiver formation and handoff to PJ. Next play, same formation and BYU puts 8 in the box. Next play we use the same 3 receiver set and Reggie does the toss to PJ.
6) BYU’s LBs were licking their chops every time we did the toss to PJ. Reggie ALWAYS took the snap, immediately turned one direction, and then kept turning to toss in the opposite direction. In the second half as soon as Reggie turned one direction, their LBs took off in the opposite direction. Sure enough they had already filled the gaps and had clogged up PJ’s running lanes before PJ could ever get in stride with the ball. Credit to PJ though for some good running in spite of the play calling. Gailey made ZERO adjustments when it was obvious BYU knew exactly what was going to happen.

7) Our LBs apparently were completely confused on whom to cover the entire game. This wasn’t a “blitzing” problem. We had the same problem when we didn’t blitz. BYU would send 4 or 5 receivers out, sometimes two right into the middle, and our LBs looked lost on where they should be. D. Smith would run out of the middle zone for no apparent reason. As soon as Berry saw him leave he hit his receiver right over the middle. When they did pick up a receiver, they simply could not cover them. Tenuta made ZERO adjustments on the defense, hence Berry continued to pick us apart. I don’t know if our LBs simply can not pass cover, or Tenuta doesn’t know how to teach them… but they looked pretty bad the entire game.

8) BYU didn’t always throw the dump simply because it was open. They had some designed plays where they setup downfield blockers they led the way for the guy receiving the dump pass. They did this beautifully one time. They dumped to a guy at the LOS, and he followed 4 blockers right through our secondary. Their down field blocking in general was amazing.

9) BYU’s third TD… they got man coverage and Landry got burned. That simple.

10) There was an obvious play that Reggie should have called off. They loaded one side for a blitz and we had no one to block. Reggie can’t audible if coaches won’t let him. He got sacked.

11) Landry is going to take some guy’s head off this year. He can hit hard.

12) Reggie looks very good when he gets out of the pocket.

13) D-Line didn’t really look tired until midway through the 4th. Those guys played a hell of a game given the circumstances.

14) Reuben Houston was an enigma. Sometimes he did really great things, and sometimes really bad things. He has to be more consistent.

IMHO, BYU simply looked like a better team. Better prepared, better-coached, and better players. Their QB simply picked us apart, and their defense knew what was coming on almost every play. They played to win and controlled the game the entire second half. Even though it seemed we were still in the game, the replay suggests otherwise.

All of our weaknesses may go out the window against Auburn. Auburn is a very different team. It will be fun to watch.

nice work again. maybe one day ill stay sober enough during a game to remember this stuff.
wink.gif

Very good analysis.

Based on what I saw and confirmed by your breakdown - as coaches say, the film doesn't lie - we have some problems this week.

Predictions: The toss sweep vs. Auburn will not gain an inch. The toss sweep is a play where you basically say we don't care about fooling you, we are better than you and are going to gain ground on smash mouth and tailback talent. Auburn's linebackers will get there about 2 seconds before BYU's did - pretty darn fast.

Formations. You can flank people out all day to spread the field, but you eventually have to connect for them to honor it. In short, if we can't connect on anyone other than Jonathan Smith they will continue to load the middle.

Stunting. We need to back down on the number of times we stunt. Every time you do it's high risk, as BYU exploited. Joe Lee Dunn trys to do that stunt every play stuff but the first time his defense faces a disciplined offensive line and a smart QB it's off to the races.

Tailback. We need more people, more reps. PJ is giving his all but until we get someone who is a threat to go even when we have the big holes we are limited to a 5 yard gain. That won't win.

Originally posted by 3518techie:
Excellent again Beeserk! I hope your thoughtful analysis will give food for thought to those who are fooling themselves into believing the turnovers cost us the game against BYU. The reality is that we will have to get a lot better to make any noise this season. Also, Gailey has to adjust his obsolete thinking. You can't force a non-existent running game. BYU showed you can control the clock with a short passing game. Running on 1st and 2nd down and leaving Ball in a bunch of 3rd and 8's isn't doing him any favors. It's better to have a couple of short passes leaving a 3rd and 2 or 3 where Ball has more options.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">What about his post makes you think the turnovers did not cost us the game? I agree pretty much with his analysis but the fact is that even with the vanilla, non-reactive game plan we did move the ball until we gave it up on turnovers...

The score going into the 4th quarter was 21-13 BYU. At that time BYU had 2 turnovers and a punt blocked. Tech had only one turnover. The last turnover BYU was conceding a TD to run clock. Even if Tech had scored, we still would have needed an onside kick. The interception was at the 15 but the ball was on about the 35. No guarantee we would have gotten a field goal much less a touchdown. The Dixon fumble was a real killer I'll admit. However, we still would have needed a 2 point conversion just to tie. The BYU game was a lot different from the Florida State game last year where turnovers and big plays prevented cost us a game we should have won.

I forgot one item that I payed particular attention to...

Dixon's fumble was absolutely a problem with technique.

He was pinching the ball between his forearm and chest/pads with his arm parallel to the ground. He was running straight up as he approached a defender. Someone caught him from behind at this point and started to drag him down. As he collapsed to the ground, the defender he was appraoching lunged. The defender hit him with a glancing blow on his carrying arm which popped the ball out. It was not a big time hit at all. I feel that if had held the ball properly, there is no way that ball pops out.

Excellent post, Bees. I, too, just finished watching the Tivo replay last night when I got back home from Hawaii and I agree with everything you said (although I won't pretend that I noticed all that you did when I watched it...I went back and watched it again after I read your post to confirm
smile.gif
).
However, I take HUGE issue with the comment about the turnovers. The 3 turnovers inside of the BYU 30 were absolute backbreakers. I don't care how many turnovers BYU had...when you drive the ball downfield and turn it over without getting any points out of it, it is demoralizing. The interception I can understand...either Reggie or Jonathan misread the coverage...we may never know because they both claimed the responsibility (a class act on both of their parts, IMHO). But the fumbles are killers. Refer to the tagline of one of the posters on this board about John Heisman's comments on fumbles!!!

That was an excellent break down of the game. Most fans do not take the time to complete such a process, especially when their team loses a game. The one comment one of your follow-up posters made was that Auburn's linebackers would get to the corners about 2 seconds faster than BYU's. My guess is he meant 2/10ths of a second. BYU's OLBs are both 4.43 and 4.45 in the 40 while their Mike-back is a 4.5 guy. Their backups are all in that range. That's pretty fast so even 2/10ths quicker is a stretch.

This is a fascinating report. It leaves me with mixed feelings about what actually happened a week ago. We can back off pointing the finger at the offensive line. If the defense knows what's coming a half second into the play it's kinda hard to block it. I know CG wants to bring Ball along slowly, but if we don't add some variety and unpredictability to the offense our plays are going to keep getting stuffed. That will hurt the whole team's confidence, not just Ball's. We all want to say the d-line is a big problem, but it sounds like our linebackers were having even more problems. I can understand the inexperienced backfield getting burned, but with all those senior linebackers (not to mention the coaches) it seems like we should have come up with something better on those short passes. If they were sending 4 and 5 receives out, shouldn't we have been able to get to that quarterback? Overall it sounds like they beat us with a better game plan. They had well coached players who know what to do and where to be and when to be there. Maybe as the season wears on our guys will fit that description.

Excellent again Beeserk! I hope your thoughtful analysis will give food for thought to those who are fooling themselves into believing the turnovers cost us the game against BYU. The reality is that we will have to get a lot better to make any noise this season. Also, Gailey has to adjust his obsolete thinking. You can't force a non-existent running game. BYU showed you can control the clock with a short passing game. Running on 1st and 2nd down and leaving Ball in a bunch of 3rd and 8's isn't doing him any favors. It's better to have a couple of short passes leaving a 3rd and 2 or 3 where Ball has more options.

Back