$3.25-$3.5 Million To Get Parker to Leave

I'd accept $1M to be a full time punching bag, let alone play a sport I enjoy. Kids these days.

I don't see how he has any leverage at all. He's not an NFL prospect ala Jake Locker or Joe Mauer.
But he also can just go back to school so they will lost the draft pick and rights to him. Just means they really have to decide how much they want him.

But he also can just go back to school so they will lost the draft pick and rights to him. Just means they really have to decide how much they want him.

If he doesn't sign, they'll get a replacement first round pick next draft.

If Daddy thinks his boy is going to get $3 Million to play baseball then you can expect Kyle to be putting on the purple and orange for another exciting season of Clem and Son football.

Oh wee! His boy can now work the rest of his life and never come close to making what he could have gotten by being reasonable and exploiting a golden opportunity. Now that is a parent looking out for the best interest of his child.

By the way, Daddy Parker went to UGA. I don't know if he graduated or not. Him and Buck are big buds. Probably does explain his lack of brain power.

Go Jackets!

! His boy can now work the rest of his life and never come close to making what he could have gotten by being reasonable and exploiting a golden opportunity.

Worst case: he goes back to college next year and is drafted in 2011 as a late 1st round pick. He still makes about $1.1-1.5 million.

What did you guys expect? That the guy would come out and lowball his own son in the media? Of course they're going to come out with a very high, unreasonable expectation. That doesn't mean he's only going to leave for 3.25 million.

Last year's #26 was Eric Arnett (RHP). He signed for $1.1 million. The closest OF prospect was #25 Mike Trout (CF). He signed for $1.2 million.

To earn more than $3 million, you had to be in the Top 6, and that didn't guarantee it. #4 Tony Sanchez signed for $2.5 million and #5 Matt Hobgood signed for $2.42 million. To earn more than $1.5 million, you had to be Top 10. The only players to make more than $3.5 million were #2 Dustin Ackley ($6 million) and #1 Stephen Strasburg ($15 million).

In short: Parker will probably not be offered even half of what his father is asking.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/08/rockies-sign-kyle-parker.html

Kyle Parker signed for $1.4 million. As I said, not even half. His bonus is spread over 5 years in case of football injury.

He'd probably take something in the mid to low 2's... the 3.25 may only be an extreme negotiation tactic.

Back