3-3. Improvement.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Are you seriously trying to convince me that we wouldn't have kept rolling damn Duke had we stayed the course with pro style offenses? We were getting defenders Duke couldn't get. We got Calvin and Demaryous under Chan. We got Dwyer and Nesbitt because of Chan.
Yes. Because no one kept rolling Duke. Because Duke got good. Are you seriously trying to argue that Duke wasn’t significantly better than their historical norm for a brief period of time?

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
So was everyone. And then Duke was good when they had a couple NFL QB’s and WR. Now they aren’t anymore.
2014 Duke lost to 6-7 Miami, 6-7 UNC, and 7-6 VT.
2015 Duke lost to 8-5 Miami, 8-5 Pitt, and 4-8 UVA.
2017 Duke lost to 6-7 Miami, 7-6 FSU, 5-7 Pitt, and Army.
2018 Duke lost to 6-7 VT, 8-5 uva, 7-7 Pitt, and 7-6 wake

Plenty of mediocre teams beat the Duke teams we lost to back then. Cutcliffe was getting fat on bad teams and Paul Johnson back then.

GTCrew4b

Plenty of mediocre teams beat the Duke teams we lost to back then. Cutcliffe was getting fat on bad teams and Paul Johnson back then.
yeah. They didn’t go undefeated. That’s really all your post says. It also says they didn’t lose to bad teams. They weren’t a terrible team for a brief time in their history. It also includes the cheating 2015 Miami game. Are we trying to just say Duke wasn’t good at all at that time period?

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
yeah. They didn’t go undefeated. That’s really all your post says. It also says they didn’t lose to bad teams. They weren’t a terrible team for a brief time in their history. It also includes the cheating 2015 Miami game. Are we trying to just say Duke wasn’t good at all at that time period?
They were a mediocre team that good teams beat. Every loss to them was a bad loss.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
So how was the 2015 Miami game cheating?

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
They were pretty good by Duke standards and even Coastal division standards. What is arguable is whether they were good enough to start circling our game as a W on their schedule. Cutcliffe had developed a scheme advantage over us. Without that, we should be able to out-talent them fairly consistently again.

johncu

Dodd-Like
The biggest thing is that other than Clemson game, we are moving the ball and scoring points.
Scoring points, yes. Moving the ball, ehhhh. We’re currently ranked 111th in 3rd down conversion percentage. That puts our defense on the field way too much sometimes.

On the surface, that might sound like our guys just aren’t making the clutch plays when needed, but I think it’s schematic issues. It seems like we face FAR too many 3rd and long situations due to negative plays on 1st or 2nd down, and even when we do end up in short yardage we call predictable run plays with OL that can’t block them well.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
Yes. Because no one kept rolling Duke. Because Duke got good. Are you seriously trying to argue that Duke wasn’t significantly better than their historical norm for a brief period of time?

We can re-look every schedule in the rear view mirror. Based on your method, we beat a single ranked team in 1990- #9 Clemson. Hardly makes us look like world beaters. We did beat a 4-7 Dook team though :)

pianoman

Varsity Lurker
Duke has been in eight bowl games over the last 60 years. Six of those were between 2012 and 2018. They were on a roll, the alums were ecstatic, loved Cut. Yes Cutcliffe seemed to have our number during that time. The alums are now done with him, he’s probably ready to retire anyway.

I remember getting my usual alum newsletter stuff in the 90s where they openly wrote about Duke having a committee study looking at Div. III football, staying Div. I basketball, basically the Georgetown model. Decided against it.

The point is, Duke had several years with competitive football but they’re back to mostly sucking again.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
Duke has been in eight bowl games over the last 60 years. Six of those were between 2012 and 2018. They were on a roll, the alums were ecstatic, loved Cut. Yes Cutcliffe seemed to have our number during that time. The alums are now done with him, he’s probably ready to retire anyway.

I remember getting my usual alum newsletter stuff in the 90s where they openly wrote about Duke having a committee study looking at Div. III football, staying Div. I basketball, basically the Georgetown model. Decided against it.

The point is, Duke had several years with competitive football but they’re back to mostly sucking again.
The bastard is just worn out. Look at him. Weekend at Bernies at Wallace Wade.

GTCrew4b

They were pretty good by Duke standards and even Coastal division standards. What is arguable is whether they were good enough to start circling our game as a W on their schedule. Cutcliffe had developed a scheme advantage over us. Without that, we should be able to out-talent them fairly consistently again.
But we weren’t necessarily an outlier amongst other similar teams. Which is my point. It took some really bad games for us to lose a couple of those. Multiple 3 Turnover games for the Jackets in that stretch.
So how was the 2015 Miami game cheating?

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.

Techfan02

Hope is pain
If we can get healthy we maybe can go on a run but, the next 2 games are important. I'll be in Charlottesville first time really looking forward to that need to win that really bad.

pianoman

Varsity Lurker
I posted real time yesterday about Burmeister taking huge hit on right shoulder from ND.
Was curious - VPI board saying he’s out 6 weeks and their backup tore his ACL. Of course not 100% confirmed.
They’re posting about having a RB running wildcat. UVA and Miami look bad right now as well. Three games we can win IMO.