3-4 Defense, I Formation, Shotgun,Option Attack

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
Good point beesnut. How smart is it to fashion an offense for an option QB when your backup can't run it? Don't know what CG will do and I do love the option, but wonder if he'll go that far, at least this early in the season.

On the board, Gailey's knowledge of the offense, a good o line and a fast QB are reasons a wishbone or flexbone like Ga. Southern and Air Force have run would work.

One barrier however is the running back position. You have to be fairly deep, and had to have recruited unselfish backs who love to block as well as carry. We have a few, but not a whole stable.

I expect we can put in a small package of option type plays but I doubt it can, or will, become a core offense.

I'm sure Bilbo could run the option
wink.gif

The defense will be the key against BYU. Their QB (Berry) is very young and inexperienced. He ended up starting games in the middle of the season last year as a freshman as nobody else could get anything done. And, he was never able to develop any consistency.

Tech's QB situation is quite tame compared to what BYU is going through. So, the defensive intensity is what will carry Tech through for our first game.

Prediction: GTech 24 - BYU 3

Defense -- To run the 3-4 you **must** have a stud NT or it won't work.

Originally posted by kirbee:
Defense -- To run the 3-4 you **must** have a stud NT or it won't work.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think Mansfield Wrotto or Omar Billy could fill that role since their main job is to stuff the run and keep blockers occupied. And they already are defensive tackles by trade.

I have no doubt that at sometime during the BYU game, Bilbo will either take a handoff/end around from the receiver position or will line up at tailback for an option play led by Ball. Tough to cover that last one. Bilbo could even throw from it at some point in the season (ala Slash).

Father Wasp: When I saw them in last Thursday scrimmage they looked very poor on field goals making 1 of 3 in distances ranging from 30 to 50 yards. However I have heard that they are much better than what I saw. I hope so.

Stateline: I am with you buddy, I am a little nervous (but then I am the V.Dooley of all G.T. supporters) I hope/wish(and should pray for all to be okay! It is indeed a possibility)that all will be well
smile.gif

Why run the option or anything wide against the 3-3-5. If they are only going to have six guys up front shouldn't we take advantage of that and use our big line to pound on them.

Wide runs and passes play right into their strength. We need to pound the ball, control the clock, and rest our defense.

Originally posted by ccujacket:
Why run the option or anything wide against the 3-3-5. If they are only going to have six guys up front shouldn't we take advantage of that and use our big line to pound on them.

Wide runs and passes play right into their strength. We need to pound the ball, control the clock, and rest our defense.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That does make sense.We will still need to throw or they will load up in the box.
drinking.gif

Originally posted by Thomsonjacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ccujacket:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That does make sense.We will still need to throw or they will load up in the box.
drinking.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It will be so sweet for them to put 9 in the box and us still pound it since our O-line averages a shade over 300 a piece.

Any thoughts about us bringing some of this out against BYU. With our defensive strengths at linebacker and defensive back, I believe we could be in for a surprise and see the 3-4 Defense with a lot of blitzing and disguises of coverage. On offence that split backfield just did'nt appear to be very effective. If PJ's starting with Dixon at full, the I attack sure looks good in that PJ will have his good vision of the field to pick and choose his running lanes. I really would like to Reshaun Grant going around end on the pitch from the I formation. Also the option with Reggie Ball and Grant looks very inviting. Chris Woods does appear to fit the halfback type we have seen so far in practice and I would expect him to carry the ball out the formations we have seen so far. Ace will he be ready? The shotgun is a terrific time buyer and while reggie may not need extra time it would be nice to have on hand.

Stateline, I like the option, and believe it can be simplified to minimize the complexity of the options. It is actually less risky for a freshman athlete than the shotgun. Having coached, I prefer the option for a younger quarterback, although most feel it risks injury, because it will actually build his confidence sooner (remember Joe H. vs. Notre Dame). You hit a few nice runs on the outside you really pick up. The shotgun gives you the span of the field, but unless your a pro offense with a stand back and throw and throw offense, you really aren't gaining anything.

The option would enable us to do what Gailey says he wants - to run some clock and take advantage of Ball's athleticism.

I like your thoughts on the defense. But no matter how many you put on the front, you eventually have to belly up, you just can't hide our lack of size or depth. It does give us the benefit of bringing a wild card extra rusher.

Good post. I like batting around the X's and O's.

By the way State, any word on how our kickers are gonna be?

Father Wasp, you are correct sir!

IMHO, the option is best suited for
QB, Ball.

I believe that Coach ran the wishbone
when he was a Troy State, so I would
have to believe he knows "something"
about running the option.

I would also think that we could run
the spread or flex-bone kind of like
Georgia Southern or the Air Force.

If ball control is going to be our forte'
I agree with you that running the option
will give us the best chance.

The only bad thing about the option is it leaves your QB open ot a lot of hard shots coming around the end.
Suggs comes in after Ball and he CANNOT run the option.

I agree with FW, A well executed option (i.e. JoeHam) can make the hit on the QB easier to take when the RB is trucking down the sideline for 10-15 yards

Wouldn't a wishbone package allow the D to put more men in the box? With an I or offset I you've still got two receivers (3 with TE).

They will stack the box depending on how many receivers we send out. Look for them to bring at least seven often. They know our OL will blow them off the ball so they will have to stack the line.

That was my reference above to the Wishbone. Doesn't it tip our hand somewhat and allow them to load the box?

Do you use a TE in the Wishbone? I'm assuming so for the blocking, but I'm not sure.

The option is actually a great call against a team loaded with 7 or 8 in the box (if it is a true triple option). In other words, if the initial fake/read is to the fullback going up the middle on the opposite side from the play of the option, that freezes the middle linebacker on that side. Your wide receiver(s) on the strong side (presuming you run the strong side...and don't get me started on how many freaking times BOB liked to call option plays to the weak (& usually short) side of the field...he used to make me cuss doing that!) are blockers on the play. If you beat the stacked coverage at the line, this play goes for huge gains. Of course, it also makes it easier for them to stop the play for no gain.

The real key here is for the quarterback to make the correct reads. First, he has pull it out of the fullback's belly if he doesn't think the play will be a gainer. Then, he has to make the read on the strongside defensive end. If that guy takes the pitchman, then he keeps. If he takes the quarterback, then the pitch is made.

Oh yeah...one more thing. I'd wager anyone on this board even money that Bilbo lines up under center for at least one play in the BYU game and runs the option.

Back