3-4 Defense, I Formation, Shotgun,Option Attack

My only concern is that BYU faces the option at least once every year when they play Air Force. So, any of those MWC teams are very much used to it and practice for it year in and out.

It might work once or twice, but I wouldn't expect any consistent significant results. Tech just needs to grind it up the middle. Their 3-3-5 defense will be speed based and won't handle the pounding up the middle very well. Even if they adjust, our offensive line will be a tremendous force to reckon with. Remember, their offensive line may have as many as three freshman, so their defense really hasn't had a real chance to test themselves versus anything of significant quality.

I still very much feel Tech's win vs. BYU will be quite decisive.

I think if they (BYU) run a 3-3-5 on d. Tech should go to the old Bobby Dodd plays and run the Belly Series. Then we have the option to run it up the gut or go out side or maybe even a halfback option pass. I some how figure that the 3-3-5 d is only talk and nothing more. If they use a d like that they are conceeding the run to everyone.

Now, that would be funny, if BellySeries gets the handoff and OldFoggy and Father Time blocks for him.

drinking.gif

If byu does run a 3-3-5 defense, it makes it tough to run the option. You lose the blocking angles to double team the outermost defensive. With a four-man front the off. tackle has the angle to block down on the def. tackle and double team him.

A three man front the def. end moves to the outside of the off. tackle. The slot back blocks down on the linebacker and the down block on the def. end is not as strong.

The first read is then off of the strong safety. This is where it can be advantageous for the offense. The SS is the lone read. If he turns in toward the running back and the quarterback pulls it and turns it up then he has a big gain. The slot back has released and is down field blocking the middle backer and the corner is occupied by the split end.

So, if that initial double team can be carried out then it can go big; if not then it is stopped pretty easily.

Just some amateur X's and O's. If any of you gurus think I'm nuts then tell me. I'm always wanting to learn...I coached for a few years at a A state semi-finalist (GHSA,) but I have learned more since being out of coaching.

Back