#4 for 2022: **** LB Jaron Willis

THWG247

Jolly Good Fellow
We have the transfer from MD. We have Kaleb Edwards, We have studs already on the roster. I guess I have to go back and justify why I think the guys on the roster plus the commits considered collectively are better as a group then we have had in a very long time.

I don't keep detailed notes but I do keep an unofficial barometer which is at an all time high for the combined talent level for the group not on the DL.

Am I alone in thinking this?
Who is Kaleb Edwards?

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Agree with you overall but to my eye last year was more about not playing as a unit and trusting teammates versus everyone trying to play hero ball. How much of that was lack of a normal spring and preseason, how much was individual talent level and how much was coaching I don’t know, but I do expect to see improvement this year. In particular we have to get a pash rush from somewhere or all 5 star DBs won’t be able to stop the pass.
Well, if they were playing hero ball on defense they sure made the opposing RB’s, QB’s, and WR’s look like heroes because it’s hard for me to say anything nice about the play of many of our defenders. I liked the DL and really liked the young one who entered the portal but as far as our DB’s and LB’s go outside of Thomas and Walton I saw nothing from the rest. But it’s a clean slate so let’s see who put in the work. No more excuses. No pulled hammies in game 1 or whatever. In year 3 all that matters is performance. If you’re injured you can’t perform so you don’t matter. Just ask Dylan Moses. No more excuses. We can lose and I think we’ll lose more than we win because our Lines are still a work in progress but let’s compete and stop with the excuse (Covid, injuries, transitio, etc).

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
We had awesome linebackers under Tenuta. Miss having solid LB play. I DON’T miss the offenses during those years though.
I miss the Tenuta defenses and that era of football. The game is practically unrecognizable now in CFB. I miss good LB play especially in coverage. I miss stopping the run meaning you controlled the game. In the past few years, we've seen glimpses of stopping the run, but then they just short pass us to death. When we see LB's who can drop in coverage and reach home on blitzes, we'll be competitive but sadly I think the low scoring football games are a thing of the past. I really enjoyed the FSU game last year even if it was just because that was a cripple fight of offensive ineptitude. I just like seeing defensive slug fests.

covingtonjacket

Knowledge superspreader
I agree with all the above. Last year was just an abject failure on the defensive side. The reasons don’t matter moving forward. All that matters is game performance from here on out. By amassing bodies I would hope the days of having to watch a player get burned over and over are long gone. It seems like some defensive players have been coddled regarding playing time thru the transition. I understand it, but I hope we are to the point where the guys who can get it done get the playing time. For me, it’s a clean slate for everyone for game 1. I don’t care if your a senior or freshman. It’s all about performance on the field moving forward.
You're right. Competition is king. Play the best players regardless of age.

If you’re injured you can’t perform so you don’t matter.
Not sure I would phrase it this way. I think of it as a "next man up" needing to be ready to perform because there will always be injuries.

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
I miss the Tenuta defenses and that era of football. The game is practically unrecognizable now in CFB. I miss good LB play especially in coverage. I miss stopping the run meaning you controlled the game. In the past few years, we've seen glimpses of stopping the run, but then they just short pass us to death. When we see LB's who can drop in coverage and reach home on blitzes, we'll be competitive but sadly I think the low scoring football games are a thing of the past. I really enjoyed the FSU game last year even if it was just because that was a cripple fight of offensive ineptitude. I just like seeing defensive slug fests.
The game today is unrecognizable...you’re right. That’s why it’s so important to recruit the best WR’s these days. We are doing that and getting great OL and quarterbacks.

It is going to be completely opposite of what we’ve been accustomed to running the 3O (duh). After this year I believe every triple option player will no longer be on the roster.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
You're right. Competition is king. Play the best players regardless of age.

Not sure I would phrase it this way. I think of it as a "next man up" needing to be ready to perform because there will always be injuries.
Yeah, I agree but I’m just tired of hearing ”when we get player X back”. Honestly, #3 on defense has been all hype and little performance. I know I may get blasted for that but seriously all he does is either get burned, get injured, or acts like he’s Deion when he makes the expected play. He’s basically best known for getting body slammed by Pickens. When I think of GT high end corners I think of modest guy who just perform. Most recently DJ White. He rarely gets the credit for how good he was because all he did is get the job done with little “look at me”. I know it’s a new age and players are all about self promotion but we have way too many self promoters with little self performance. But it’s a new year and clean slate. Start out 5-0 and self promote all you want!!

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
Yeah, I agree but I’m just tired of hearing ”when we get player X back”. Honestly, #3 on defense has been all hype and little performance. I know I may get blasted for that but seriously all he does is either get burned, get injured, or acts like he’s Deion when he makes the expected play. He’s basically best known for getting body slammed by Pickens. When I think of GT high end corners I think of modest guy who just perform. Most recently DJ White. He rarely gets the credit for how good he was because all he did is get the job done with little “look at me”. I know it’s a new age and players are all about self promotion but we have way too many self promoters with little self performance. But it’s a new year and clean slate. Start out 5-0 and self promote all you want!!
New age? Deion Sanders, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens. Yeah, they were super low-key.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
They were the exception back then and they were able to do it because they were studs who made 4-5 huge plays a game. Today we see guys hyping it up when the QB throws it over the head of a receiver out of bounds. Heck, I’ve seen some of our guys act like Deion when the WR drops a pass when our guy is 2 steps away. Dude, you were toast and got bailed out because the other guy was already thinking of his celebration routine. I just find it all funny. The one guy we have who could actually showboat last year was Gibbs and all he did was toss the ball to the ref and jog to the sideline.

covingtonjacket

Knowledge superspreader
To me what you're describing is a depth issue. If the starter is not getting things done, there should be someone on the depth chart who can beat him out. If not, that is on the coaching and recruiting. Regardless of any opinion on the roster when CGC took over, we are getting to the point where he will be responsible for the talent level/coaching. Unless the SA is simply not trying, I don't blame the SA. And celebrating is nothing new, maybe taken a little further now, but I have accepted it if I am going to watch the game. IIWII.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
They were the exception back then and they were able to do it because they were studs who made 4-5 huge plays a game. Today we see guys hyping it up when the QB throws it over the head of a receiver out of bounds. Heck, I’ve seen some of our guys act like Deion when the WR drops a pass when our guy is 2 steps away. Dude, you were toast and got bailed out because the other guy was already thinking of his celebration routine. I just find it all funny. The one guy we have who could actually showboat last year was Gibbs and all he did was toss the ball to the ref and jog to the sideline.
I think you’re memory is influenced by what you want to believe. There is very little difference today from 20 years ago. 40 maybe.