4 system playoff needs to go to 8

I love it that nobody outside of two states will even give a öööö about this game. I hope the ratings tank.. Until the NCAA sends conference champions to the playoff, I hope every Final consists of teams from either GA, AL, FL, or SC..

Any conference with an undefeated champion that is unworthy for the playoff should be moved down to I-AA or whatever it's called now.. UCF is clearly better than Clemson, GA, and OK

Last edited:
The 4-team system would be fine if it included conference champions only and used the old BCS computer system to choose those top 4 of those, instead of letting 13 insiders with direct financial interest in who plays choose the teams.

That way:
  • Conference title games would be the gateway into the playoffs, instead of a liability like they are now (ask Auburn).
  • OoC games would be impactful in choosing which P5 gets left out each year.
  • The two above points means every single game would matter, and that's always been the best thing about the CFB season. The only games that wouldn't matter would be conference games if you've locked up your division title, but even then, you would want to win to ensure you're not the 5th team and the first one left out.
  • There would be no silly rules about some conferences being more deserving than others. The computer rankings would sort that out each year, eliminating the need to change rules when conferences realign.

Last edited:
Even though Alabama may have unjustly been included in the playoffs, if they win it justifies their inclusion and the system as it is.

With #3 Georgia and #4 Bamma winning it shows the flaw in ***(picking)"" #1 & #2 to play for a NC.
Still the top 4 are picked for the playoffs

The NCAA needs to set up a system of 8 teams. The first 5 are the p5 conference champs & are not picked by some poll. The last three are open bids for the best of the rest.

The first 4 games are played at the top 4's home field. The rest of the playoffs are at a rotating bowl system as they are now. No need to go higher than 8 teams because the best teams are covered.

Agree but let's make an extremely clear set of conditions.

1. All P5 champs are in. They won it on the field.

2. Highest ranking G5 tchampion is in. - this avoids potential lawsuits and allows a smaller but pretty good team a chance at glory.

3. The two at large teams must be taken from division winners or runner ups with better records than the division winner on the other side of their conference.

Give the committee a lost of teams and say you seed and pick the at large bids. The rest is won on the field

6 teams. Conference championships are de facto first round playoff games. You cannot win the national championship without winning your conference.

5 - All P5 conference champs
1 - Best G5 conference champ (let G5 conferences figure out how this is determined when it's not obvious)

Committee is only needed to determine seeding --first round byes to the top two.

The only reason to go to 8 would be to placate Notre Dame. Force them into B10 or ACC. BYU to B12 or G5.

All r
The 4-team system would be fine if it included conference champions only and used the old BCS computer system to choose those top 4 of those, instead of letting 13 insiders with direct financial interest in who plays choose the teams.

That way:
  • Conference title games would be the gateway into the playoffs, instead of a liability like they are now (ask Auburn).
  • OoC games would be impactful in choosing which P5 gets left out each year.
  • The two above points means every single game would matter, and that's always been the best thing about the CFB season. The only games that wouldn't matter would be conference games if you've locked up your division title, but even then, you would want to win to ensure you're not the 5th team and the first one left out.
  • There would be no silly rules about some conferences being more deserving than others. The computer rankings would sort that out each year, eliminating the need to change rules when conferences realign.
So you want a 3 or 4 loss team in the playoff? Hell no

6 teams. Conference championships are de facto first round playoff games. You cannot win the national championship without winning your conference.

I actually have SEC fans that argue with me over this. I've always said that if a team can't win their conference, they don't deserve to be in the playoff. SEC fans are convinced that their conference is so superior that a team, that doesn't even win it's division, deserves to be in the playoff.

Even though Alabama may have unjustly been included in the playoffs, if they win it justifies their inclusion and the system as it is.

Maybe. But they also got to play one less tough game and got an extra week of rest late in the season. They had an easier path to the title.

All r

So you want a 3 or 4 loss team in the playoff? Hell no

Only if that's enough to get computers to put them in the top 4 conference champs, which would mean all the others also have 3-4 losses.

And that's why the NFL sucks. This is college football not the NFL

Yay! College football where dudes around a table decide who gets in...yeah!

You literally found the only edge the NFL has on College and öööö all over it. Bring back the BCS!

The NFL is usually considered to be the league with the best playoff system. It has the perfect number of teams in it to keep people fighting until the end, properly rewards top regular season performers, and has enough volatility over the years that you never know who's going to win it but not so much that the regular season is meaningless.

College football certainly does some things better than the NFL, but the playoff system is not one of them.

Unlike FCS,
D2 & D3, P5 schools have bowls for teams with a winning season.

I doubt the P5 schools would want G5 schools involved.

Wrong dumbass. The P5 has bowls for break even teams. A winning record is Not required.

Of course, who wants to go to Shreveport in Christmas? Especially if you are a player.

I'd prefer we went back to the old system and simply let the press decide who #1 is. I don't enjoy watching a title game between two redneck öööö schools from the same conference. At the very least, UGA should have played Bama in the Sugar Bowl.

I love it that nobody outside of two states will even give a öööö about this game. I hope the ratings tank.. Until the NCAA sends conference champions to the playoff, I hope every Final consists of teams from either GA, AL, FL, or SC..

I mean, about half of the top 10 programs come from those four states...

Yes, for 100 years college football has decided its champion by vote of sportswriters or "coaches". Now all of a sudden it is sacrosanct that a group of 13 human stakeholders can determine the 4 best teams for a perfect playoff. You are foolish if you think this is somehow more determinitive or a plausible system for the future of college football.

The NFL doesn't mandate the 4 best teams because they want to keep interest up across the league with a divisional format. College football should do the same with conferences. Unless you think it is good that next time the SEC has 3 teams in and the majority of the money continues to get funneled to a small group of schools. They in turn reinvest to maintain their advantages in football and spread the money around to prop up their other sports. The fact that this accrues to the detriment of Georgia Tech athletes, alumni and fans should be cause enough for concern.

Last edited:

No need for playoff. UCF have declared themselves national champions. Can we hate them again? (I never stopped).

Last edited:
Missing something....
asterisk-symbol_318-53015.jpg

Back