I'm sure he is devastated.

I've defended recruiting rankings before by saying they use offer lists, because they can't really review hundreds of athletes across the country. I don't think they have that big of a staff and the staff certainly do not get paid as much as coaches, coordinators or even position coaches. And most staffs can cast a smaller, local net and evaluate those players more deeply.

The offer list method plays the average and gets an R^2 of 40% or whatever. CPJ mentioned how GT and TCU did terrible in recruiting rankings, but did alright in the bowls. Most of the most successful teams are set up around having many guys for three years, or many not showing up on campus. At least GT looks at football knowledge, with many former quarterbacks, and perhaps GT and TCU use more complex schemes expecting to redshirt many players. So we get shafted through the system faithfully playing the averages.

...or the system doesn't honestly try it's best to evaluate players and chronically rates players based on selling subscriptions. ND was the worst, with many 4* players who committed to ND under Weis having only other offers from bottom-half Big 10 schools like Indiana and Illinois. Tenuta did terrible there, but I think he really didn't have much talent to work with.

Last off season, UGA gave a last minute offer to a guy after one of their commits backed out. That guy literally went from 2* to 3* within an hour.

Whole system is BS.

Last off season, UGA gave a last minute offer to a guy after one of their commits backed out. That guy literally went from 2* to 3* within an hour.

Whole system is BS.

Yep and you got that right! I wasn't paying attention to rankings much so didn't see it. Heard Mills was a 4* and just now a 3 on scout.

Whole system is BS.

I thought those stars were like the wanted levels in GTA. More stars you have, more likely you are to get arrested.

Last edited:
I'm sure he is devastated.

I've defended recruiting rankings before by saying they use offer lists, because they can't really review hundreds of athletes across the country. I don't think they have that big of a staff and the staff certainly do not get paid as much as coaches, coordinators or even position coaches. And most staffs can cast a smaller, local net and evaluate those players more deeply.

The offer list method plays the average and gets an R^2 of 40% or whatever. CPJ mentioned how GT and TCU did terrible in recruiting rankings, but did alright in the bowls. Most of the most successful teams are set up around having many guys for three years, or many not showing up on campus. At least GT looks at football knowledge, with many former quarterbacks, and perhaps GT and TCU use more complex schemes expecting to redshirt many players. So we get shafted through the system faithfully playing the averages.

...or the system doesn't honestly try it's best to evaluate players and chronically rates players based on selling subscriptions. ND was the worst, with many 4* players who committed to ND under Weis having only other offers from bottom-half Big 10 schools like Indiana and Illinois. Tenuta did terrible there, but I think he really didn't have much talent to work with.

Follow the $. The offer list only affects a recruit's ranking insofar as it reflects how many people might take the clickbait and get Rivals more subscription and advertising money. Just look at the difference in recruiting rankings between strong programs with small stadiums (GT, TCU) and perennial underachievers with large fanbases (UNC, UCLA).

big get!!! but he does not run a 4.45....not diminishing him in anyway...just being realistic. Still a massive get...40 speed is way overrated anyway

big get!!! but he does not run a 4.45....not diminishing him in anyway...just being realistic. Still a massive get...40 speed is way overrated anyway

QFT. Marcus Wright comes to mind.

How about 16.37s in the 100M hurdles - about 5.99 while jumping over öööö? That was his 2104 best in the 5A regionals where he came in 2nd.

How about 16.37s in the 100M hurdles - about 5.99 while jumping over öööö? That was his 2104 best in the 5A regionals where he came in 2nd.

thats all great, still doesn't run a 4.45...but again...he is a player and I would want 85 of him than a measurables guy.

some of our best players at tech couldn't crack 4.50 for their life; and in football in general. Just look at the combine results for proof of it...40 times are so overrated. I like 20 yard splits, shuffle times....and most importantly...instinct which can't be measured...its seen on tape...great pickup for tech and the staff.

thats all great, still doesn't run a 4.45...but again...he is a player and I would want 85 of him than a measurables guy.

some of our best players at tech couldn't crack 4.50 for their life; and in football in general. Just look at the combine results for proof of it...40 times are so overrated. I like 20 yard splits, shuffle times....and most importantly...instinct which can't be measured...its seen on tape...great pickup for tech and the staff.

Don't intend to sound snarky, but how do you know this?

Last year's NFL combine had 1 of 30+ RBs run under a 4.48.
Hell, only 7 of 30+ DBs ran a 4.45 or under.

All of these recruit reported 40 times are bullshit.

Don't intend to sound snarky, but how do you know this?

Think hes basing it off of the film. Obviously it's tough to tell for sure because there's way too many variables and judging from an eye test on film you assume is playing at normal speed, but if I were a betting man I'd say he looks more like a 4.5 guy. Semantics really at that points, but I feel like 4.4 guys don't usually get caught from behind in HS.

But again, semantics really. He looks faster to me than any guy we've had play BB since Dwyer and comparable to Marshall and MLD. Good size and power for a junior in HS too.

Back