50K posts.....but.......

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
I like this board. Even with the venom, I think the discussions are better than any other alternative. I also have to secretly admit that I sometimes get a kick out of the venom some spew.

Thanks gtfan and Beestorm!

Originally posted by chilidogking:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by gtfan:
The amount of "venom" is unbelievable.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You don't know what you're talking about.

Gailey sucks, Braine sucks, Clough sucks, ebay sucks, you're a terrible mod, I'm a terrible fan, and this thread is garbage.

I think that should cover everything.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">HEY Chilidogking.........

glad to see you are on the bandwagon (sarcasm gushing). You speak with such intelligence that you must be a HYDRANT HUMPER. In case you do not know that would be a UGAG fan!

GO TECH!!!!!!!!! CRUSH the PACK!!!!

As I watch the board roll past the 50k post milestone I consider how far StinGTalk has come in such a short time.

But I must admit that my enthusiasm is tempered by the recent mood of the board.

I just have a few comments that members should consider.

1. GT Football is like a family... and members of that family are the AD, the coach, the players, and the fans.

Some are born into the family (the players)

Some marry into it (the coach and the AD)

And some join out of PURE (no financial benefit) choice (the fans)

When you personally attack the coach and/or the AD some consider that a personal attack on a family member.

That is not to say you cannot criticize an AD/coach (or a family member). However there are differences between personal attacks and criticism.

2. The next point is some will respond that Braine and/or Gailey "ain't" part of my family.

When you are part of a group you have to rely on a few to make the decisions for the group. The AD and the head coach positions are mutually exclusive. GT did not have to hire them and they did not have to accept the positions.

Originally posted by gtfan:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You don't know what you're talking about.

Gailey sucks, Braine sucks, Clough sucks, ebay sucks, you're a terrible mod, I'm a terrible fan, and this thread is garbage.

I think that should cover everything.

gtfan,

Thank you for maintaining this message board. It is a welcomed alternative to the Hive.

In regards to the venom on the board, I suggest you do something about it. I have seen where you have banned BEEware for his childish digs at Gailey and thread hijacking, but have you read Techsamillion's thread "Hey folks I am serious....". This thread spews adult style venom usually reserved to hate groups. He aleinates GT alumni and fans simply because they are from the north. Wildly speculates about the lifestyle, religious beliefs, and age of posters and then uses this fabrication to denouce them for not being a "TRUE GT FAN".

I know this board was create so that there could be uncensored, frank discussions about GT, but this kind of intolerant garbage should not have a place here and basically stands against the principles of tolerance for other's opinions that led to the creation of this board in the first place.

Techsamillion, needs to sent to the penalty box in a bad way. If you don't take action, things will only get worse in regards to this font.

Thanks,GTFAN

Enjoy coming over here to get a more diverse perspective. A lot less sugar-coating than the Hive. Which is refreshing. Also feel some fonts are a little radical but I just click the "back button" when stumbling on the continuing tirades of people's personal vendettas.
Seems like some don't post here as often.
blue.gif

I guess I'm the first one to say you are right, some of us disagree with your analogy....

Just one posters opinion, GTfan, but I think your analogy is a little weak. Don’t you love this open forum?
wink.gif

From my perspective, "the family" is made up of students (including student-athletes), alumni, and fans. As you suggest they are here out of love for Tech, not for the money. As family, sometimes we don’t get along, sometimes we argue among ourselves, but allow a dog to come along and try and piss on one of us, we close ranks.

Administrators and coaches are the hired-help. They are here only as long as both parties see a mutual benefit. Just like the gardener, if their work is unsatisfactory or a better job offer comes along they are gone. Those who stay and perform extraordinary service should be valued for it, and may well earn a place in the family’s hearts.

Having said that, openly berating the performance of the Coach or AD in front of his staff leads to dissention and undermines his authority. This is not the conduct of gentlemen and ladies.

Just another perspective.

PS. As an after thought, those that have ever been involved with a family business will appreciate this. The relationships get really complicated when the family hires one of its own.
wink.gif

originally posted by 71YellowJacket
Administrators and coaches are the hired-help...Just like the gardener
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Respectfully 71, I don't see it that way. First, you don't see many families who hang pictures of their past gardeners, regardless of the job they did, along with their "real family" members. Second, the gardener is not at the forefront of the family dynamics, his input into family matters is not welcomed.

Sport is different than business (though the whole ramification of sports as a conglomarate equates business now.) It is imperative to building a team that the team functions as a family--coaches, trainers, support personnel included.

To be honest (and in my opinion) the most (to borrow a cultural buzzword) disenfranchised element of the family is the fan base. Obviously nothing sports related (on an intercollegiate level) could exist without a fan base, but as far as the impact on a team dynamics, fans are "out in the cold with the gardner."

Granted the fan base is a family within itself and that is fun, and the screaming and yelling can motivate the players and add a strategic advantage to a team, but that is as far as it goes. I don't see my picture hanging in the Edge.

Coaches have to be a part of the team family. Besides, it's tough to hear people called Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd hired help.

Mom, how come spellingbee has red hair and green eyes and the rest of us have brown hair and brown eyes?

Originally posted by 71YellowJacket:
Mom, how come spellingbee has red hair and green eyes and the rest of us have brown hair and brown eyes?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL, that's cause that's the gardner honey.

how silly 71YJ. that's a pretty stupid analogy.

You know Ylojk8, I think you have hit on something.

All kidding aside, I believe this is at the core of why there is such passionate disagreement among Tech Alumni and fans on the board.

Some of us see the coach, and to a lesser extent the AD, as family and some of us see them as employees (certainly of a higher stature than a gardener). Therefore we disagree so strongly over how they should be treated by posters

It really is complicated when Tech men are also hired help. Even today, there is much emotion around Coach Curry leaving for Alamama. I view Coach Curry as a loyal fellow Tech man who made a wrong career move, hope he one day returns to run the family business.

When I know there is a paid relationship between a poster (or former poster) and GT, it helps me keep his comments in perspective.

To keep the analogy going, I guess I view athletic administrators and coaches kind of like in-laws. You know, like your sister's new husband. Seems like a nice guy and you let him into the family, but if he acts like a jerk things can sour. If it's your brother you fight and cuss but you know he's always your brother. With a brother-in-law you know it may be subject to change. Make any sense?

Personally I view coaches as part of the family until/unless they leave. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt longer than some will.

For example, it's pretty easy to look back now and see that Bobby C wasn't cutting it for several years before he retired. But I was all for letting him make the decision. In the process we lost that he had built up, in terms of basketball reputation. But in the long run I think it was worth it to honor what he had done for us.

Another one. I like George O'Leary most of the time while he was here. I thought he went a little overboard sometimes, and that he either couldn't or didn't do a good job with his coordinators at the end, but that's what he thought would work. He left for his dream job, which I thought was cool. I don't hate him, but I also don't really think about him much anymore either. I don't miss him because that's over.

I don't think it is a family. I think it is nothing more than individuals having a common interest, and that is the desire to see their favorite team win.

There are fans, such as myself, who have been Tech fans forever. There are new students who have just entered Tech, who are beginning to become Tech fans. There are athletes who have played in the various sports at Tech who are fans.

There are teachers, general employees, and coaches at Tech who are fans of various sports. There are many various people who have become fans of Tech sports, but I don't call us a family.

I am presently reading the book, "The Ramblin Wreck". It was stated that 100,000 fans greeted the Tech football team in Atlanta after it won the 1929 Rose Bowl when Roy Riegels ran the wrong way.

Do you thing all of those 100,000 fans attended GT or thought of themselves as a family? Do you think all of the Yankee fans of today and the past think of themselves as a family? Do you think all of the people who had the Washington Red Skins as their favorite team considered themselves as a family?

Everybody loves a winner! Back during the Heisman, Alexander, and Dodd days, Tech was the darling of the South, filled the 58,000 capacity staduim each Saturday and still had to turn away fans. Why? Because, Tech was a winner and winners draw fans, but not family.

As soon as hard times came, many jumped ship and attendance dropped because we were not winners any longer. Family members do not jump ship when things get tough.

We are just a group of peope with a common interest in the Tech football teams. There are probably some on here who do not care about any of the other sports. There are probably some who are endeared to the soccer team who do not care about the football team.

Since any coach at Tech is accepting the money to coach here, he is probably just as loyal to Tech as each of us are to our employers. If not, each of us should be a loyal employee to our company as long as the company is paying us.

The coach deserves the loyaltly of the fans as much as the team deserves our loyalty. It is easy to be disloyal, but it takes courage and dedication to be loyal to a cause.

We should give the coach our support while he is trying to build our team and help our players. If we withdraw support from the coach, it is the same as withdrawing support from the team, because he is leading the team.

So, I call our obsession with GT football a group of avid fans with a common interest in our desires to want Tech to win in football.

A family loves all of its members and knows all of its members. Most of us Tech fans knows only a small portion of other Tech fans, so most of us don't even know the other persons.

It is obvious some on the board do not even like others on the board. So, in the term of being a family, I don't think so. We do have the one common interest.

Father Time

Ahso,

Respectfully I must disagree with some of your dynamics of analysis. Families fight and have tifts just like we who love GT sports have some very personal and heated discussions. The love of GT sports is the linchpin that binds us all. Granted, I am interjecting some personal feelings but families are a wonderful group dynamic and this imho is what we have here. Are there not numerous Biblical references to families?

Thanks for your time, Father Time
drinking.gif

PJJacket, yes, everyone that belongs to God is part of the family of God. That is in the Bible, so you are correct there. One is a spiritual family and then there is the blood related family.

You are born into both families. In the first family, you are born of flesh and blood into the physical body. You are then born of the Spirit of God into the Spiritual family. "Ye must be born again" to become part of the spiritual family.

We fans of GT football were not born into a football family. We join together with others in a common interest. Would you say those who are Falcon fans are a family, or just have a common interest in the Falcons. If the Falcons or Hawks start losing badly, all of the fans disappear.

Is that a family?

Father Time

I can't by the family analogy for the AD and coach. They come and go by the schools choice and are hired help.
However, even though they are hired help that have a large stake in the success of the enterprise. Everyone involved in GT football should be trying to help them succeed.
Unfortunately some on this board seem to be more interested in having the coach and AD fail than the football team succeed.

Back