790 The Zone is a piece of Shiite

Reckbert

Varsity Lurker
I was listening to the locker room show after the Virginny game and at the end of his interview with Chan, Wes said he'd be right back with the stats.

What came back was the freakin' Thrashers!

The Dawgs post-game was still on 750.

I hate 790.

Mega dittos!

Even when the Trashers r not on, our wonderful "flagship" station will not even call Cotter's post-game show the "GT Post-game Football Show". I believe now it is the "Football Show" so that UGA will not be offended. As if UGA doesn't have enough stations already.
puke.gif

the Thrashers were also on FM radio. Not having a postgame show was disappointing.

Until Tech, and/or Tech supporters buy a radio/TV station, and run it for the sole purpose of supporting GT sports (even at a loss of revenue), things will remain the same.
BOO

Yes, bdg, I am afraid u r correct. If for no other reason than the sheer #'s.

Here is a great mystery! There are many graduates of Tech with EE degrees. Why is there not one graduate owning a radio station around Atlanta?

Maybe some of the recent graduates or some of the upcoming grads should look into opening their own station and making it the home of Tech. Heck, why doesn't the school own a station and teach the EEs and other electronic techicians radio, and use the station for hands-on training?

wink.gif

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Whoa,Whoa,Whoa...jacketguy....Is that correct? Incredible!!! Where did you hear/read this?
BOO
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I had a conversation with a local radio executive two weeks ago concerning Tech coverage... he imparted that knowledge to me.... I didnt like hearing it either...

"I had a conversation with a local radio executive two weeks ago concerning Tech coverage... he imparted that knowledge to me.... I didnt like hearing it either..."

Whoever told you this JacketGuy does not know the situation. That information is NOT CORRECT. ISP is not paying 790 The Zone to carry the games. The two are working together to try and make the venture a success for both.

I will say that ISP did compensate WGST for carrying the games prior to moving the broadcasts to 790.

Just trying to set the record straight.

Ha! Member #513, you say you are Wes Durham. How do we know you are the real Wes Durham?

Any identifying birthmarks or tatoos?

I agree about us needing to own "our (GT)" own radio station (or 2 or 3...). GT used to own w"GST" (for Ga Schl of Tech) but Jimmy Carter sold it!

It seems to be there there should be ENOUGH TECH FANS AND ALUMS THAT WOULD BUY STOCK IN A NEW GT STATION! I DOUBT IF IT COULB BE "CLEAR-CHANNEL" LIKE WSB.

What do y'all think?

The answer is TV, not radio. A weak AM signal, even owned by Tech, that fades at night is not the answer.
But an Atlanta TV station, owned and controlled by Tech would solve everyone's problems. Have educational programming 80% of the time to make it look legit, and then have Tech sports, coaches shows, call in shows, recruiting shows, etc... the other 20% or so. The station would never make a profit, but that would not be it's reason for operation. It would be solely a propaganda arm of the school and its sport's teams.
BOO

I don't know about you guys but the word "propaganda" makes me a little uneasy. Sometimes I like to hear objective opinions.

prop·a·gan·da Pronunciation Key (prp-gnd)
n.
The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

ReckBert, I agree with you on that Thrashers problem. As I was sitting in that traffic jam on I-75 listening to the Tech post game show, suddenly the Thrasher's game came on instead. The last thing I want to listen to after a Tech win is Thrasher's hockey.

I realize that Tech is a small school with a fairly small fan base, but I don't believe for a minute that there are more Thrashers fans in Atlanta than Tech fans. I would bet that the number of people listening to 790 decreased significantly when Tech went off and the Thrashers came on.

I wonder what it would cost to simply buy 5 hours of airtime on a large FM station. Tech could buy the whole 5 hours and then sell ads to cover some of the cost.

I know that would not be practical for basketball, but at least you could hear football games outside the perimeter.

Originally posted by 71Bee:
Ha! Member #513, you say you are Wes Durham. How do we know you are the real Wes Durham?

Any identifying birthmarks or tatoos?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It was VERIFIED by the admins b/f the handle was given.

It is the VOICE of the Yellow Jackets.

Competing for air time in this environment is an uphill battle. Not only does UGAg get their money's worth at WSB, they get just as much kissing up to from 680 and 790 as they do 750. They actually have 3 stations while we have 1/4 of one. Whatever is being paid to 790 is too much. We are even treated as the redheaded stepchild on our own station.

Didn't 790 say they were going to hitch up with an FM station? Seems like I remember the empty promises right after it was announced that they would cover us.

O.K. So how much does it cost to open and run one of these half arse A.M. sports radio stations?
drinking.gif

Back