790 The Zone is a piece of Shiite

I switched over to South 107.1 FM(Rome, GA) to get the rest of the post game show when the dumb thrashers game came on 790 the UGAG zone.
puke.gif

Options
1. AM or FM radio station(s), whichever would propagate a stronger night-time signal.
2. A network would be even better.
3. TV sounds good, too. What about those local cable "community channels"? (And I just got the dish!)
4. WREK?
5. Whatever were to happen, the station(s) could also be used academically for various majors. Even those at Ga State.
6. Whatever feed our HQ station generates could be networked.

We need some organizing, focusing force to figure this out technically and strategically and put together the requisite stock issuance. Any takers?

BTW, as I was heading out of midtown north on West Peachtree and the switch to the Thrashers occurred, I tried everywhere on the AM and FM dial and could not pick up ANY station with Tech. Do you have to be south of downtown for that FM South 107.1 (or whatever it is)?

If GT was able to found WGST, why shouldn't GT be able to found another one? Or maybe the GT Athletic Board/Clough could do it.

I understand WGST went on the air about a week after WSB did back in the early 1900's.

There have been rumors for several yrs. that UGAg is considering getting their own TV station. That would not surprise me considering the $$ they bring in.
pat.gif

I agree with the sentiments here... and to think .. we are paying THEM about $250K a year to broadcast the shows.... WSB pays UGAG $1Mill for the rights to broadcast...

If our AM station is not taking care of business maybe we could line up a deal with GAState about their radio station.

It is non-profit, so for a very small 'donation' to their operating costs we probably could broadcast our game.

Sponsors would cover that in exchange for on-the-air plugs since commercials are probably not OK.

The station is 100,000 watts (the normal maximum).

You need to give 790 a break. At least they carry the games. It is not like people are knocking down Tech's door for broadcast rights. I think they are doing a good job and they have to make money by honoring their other contracts. 750 has the same problem with the Dawgs and the Braves. What Tech needs is a deal like Uconn has up here with the YES Network (Yankees). YES televises their games and then runs them as reruns later. Maybe TBS would be interested in a deal or Turner South (if it is still around).

The reson 790 deserves some lip is that when a station has a contract to carry the GT games, they should actively work to promote GT football since that would be beneficial to their station.

It seems very basic when you spell it out but these retards do not seem to get it. They do not seem to understand that they have a deal with a lot of potential if it is cultivated.

Media-wise GT football is a sleeping giant. Atlanta is full of Yankees not particularly inclined to jump on the redneck bandwagon. There is plenty of room for two teams in Georgia like there are two in South Carolina, Virginia, and Alabama.

Originally posted by GTCrew:
The reson 790 deserves some lip is that when a station has a contract to carry the GT games, they should actively work to promote GT football since that would be beneficial to their station.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">790 promotes GT football better than any other station we have been on in the last 15 - 20 years.

Judging by the misinformation in this thread, I wonder why UGA fans think we have a "small unit complex."
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I think they do a good job for the most part - my issue is that they carry the Thrashers game over our postgame show (and the Thrashers are already on FM radio). It's not like the Thrashers fans are getting left out if 790 continues with our postgame.

790 will provide more GT promotion during my lunch break than WGST did during their entire time covering GT. How many times do you hear 790 the Zone, home of GT football and basketball. Or what about the weekly segments with Wes. Some people can't or don't want to understand the difference between a sports talk radio station (790) and a news talk radio station (750). Also 750 doesn't even air UGA football games when their is a conflict with the Braves and they also air Hawks games instead of UGA b-ball games.

Well I stand corrected on all counts. Thank you for calling me out. ;-)

I disagree with your friend's opinion on the NBA vs College Basketball. The NBA is a waste of time. You could just watch the last two minutes of each game. And I was born in Wisconsin to a long line of Yankees. They can be converted as long as the Falcons stink.

P.S. I was not specifically talking about the Atlanta Yankees BUYING tickets, I was just speculating that they could be convinced to listen to GT on the radio and watch on TV.

I agree on hoping they would watch or listen. And I was non commenting on Midwesterners as I don't know how they feel since I don't live there.

For the past 4 weeks The Queen and I have been commuting to Marietta several times a week to be with a brother-in-law who had to have emergency surgery and is in ICU at Kennestone. This has given me an unusual amount of time to listen to 790 in comparison to my normal routine. Today I had to hear Tech referred to as UGT by some guy who sounded like he had been castrated, maybe one of their interns. Oliver,Cimino, and Tony Barnhardt were discussing the BCS situation and a remark was made that it would avoid situations like the Tech-Nebraska pairing in the '91 Citrus Bowl. I went livid!! Before that game Mike Francessa w/ ESPN basically said that Tech did not belong in a game w/ Nebraska, a team that at that time had gone to something like 20 odd bowl games in a row. Haven't seen him since that time so maybe the ass-kicking we gave UN sent him into hiding for life! If 790 is going to take out money then they need to live up to the spirit of it-maybe they just don't realize the amount of tradition and influence Tech had on college football! Three of college football's top awards, the Heisman Trophy, The Bobby Dodd award for top head coach, the Broyles award for best assistant coach, all are a result of GT football tradition, not to mention the fact that we sent roughly twice as many players to the NFL as UGA did.

Can we buy WGST back or can we buy the callsign back? I am all for doing something to get better coverage of TECH sports-anything would be better than the current indignities we presently suffer.

How about it Wes, can you get Doug Grimm to help or head up this movement? :

drinking.gif
drinking.gif

Why type "Shiite"?

Is that any better than without the extra "i" and "e"?

Goldeagle, I can tell you where Mike Francesa is, he is on WFAN in New York. I know because I hear him everyday. And he is just as ignorant of college football now as he was then.

I have got news for you GTcrew, "Yankees" for the most part give a rats arse about college football. Northeasterners tend to view college as a place to get an education and can't understand why we pay good money to watch an inferior product. I know because I live up here and all they talk about is pro sports. My neighbor and I discussed it and he suggested I turn down the volume and just watch the games, which would you prefer watching, the NFL or college, the NBA or college. He made a good point. I seriously doubt alot of people are moving to Atlanta and buying Tech tickets when you can get Falcon tickets cheaper. Pro sports, yes, because they can see their home team, but not college.

Back