8 stats of interest from the MARYLAND press release:

2 Big Techsticles

Flats Noob
1. Maryland has scored first in all seven of their games thus far this year.

2. Beware quarters #1 and #3. Maryland has outscored their opponents 64-10 in the first and 48-10 in the 3rd.

3. In Ralph Friedgen's two-plus seasons, Maryland is a perfect (24-0) when leading at halftime.

4. Maryland leads the conference with a 96.2% scoring ratio inside the red zone this year.

5. Maryland's defense now ranks #14 Nationally in Total Defense and #10 Nationally in Scoring Defense.

6. Since his game-tying kick here at Tech two seasons ago, UM kicker Nick Novak has made 50 of his last 57 field goal attempts with most of the misses coming from beyond 50 yards.

7. Experience factor. Maryland starts 6 seniors on both sides of the ball.

8. In the first two games against Northern Illinois and Florida State, the Terrapins scored a total of 23 points. In the five games since then, Maryland has totaled 187 points (just over 37 points per game)

SCORE BY QUARTERS 1st 2nd 3rd 4th OT Total
-------------------- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Georgia Tech........ 33 38 17 28 7 - 123
Opponents........... 13 40 26 46 0 - 125

Tech has been outscored in every quarter except the first and overtime....way outscored in the second half.

This has got to change to beat the Fridge.

chew this one .. UMd = 1-2 record against winning teams, going on 1-3.

chew this one ..
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Nice command! But a weak stat. Perhaps it explains why you're dead last in the prediction contest?

Not trying to strike fear in the hearts of fellow fans, just pointing out some impressive stats from THEIR press release.

Bee,

How does UMd scoring by quarter compare to ours? Not sure if you'd pulled that info as well, but it would be interesting to see them side by side.

2BT,

I think Maryland is a fine football team, but their stats are meaningless when you consider they've played EMU, Citadel, Duke during their 5 game winning streak.

I still think they are a fine team.

Yes, I fear the 'long night' tomorrow as Maryland only seems to get stronger as the season goes along.

Their defense did to Clemson what we could not yet their Wide Receivers are probably every bit as good as Clemson's.

The good news is I've certainly miscalculated our scores all season long! Hope I'm wrong tomorrow night as well.

2BT .. lol .. i don't do predictions.

i have a sum total of 3 games in the database and i put those in so that i could peek at what all you great prognosticators are well, prognosticating.

that UMd stat does hold though. their record is 1-2 against teams with a current winning record. shows that they got beaten by good teams they played and bullied the bad teams they played.

as far as form goes, at the end of the season, i'll be looking for your post where you broke down all our games going to a 2-10 season.

Like all our games this year, if we get out of the box well, I look for a W. What we have not been able to do so far this year is have a bad first quarter and then pull it together. A comeback win after being down early would be especially sweet!
smile.gif

2BT.(or not 2BT that is the ?)

I take it you think we are in for a long night tomorrow...

Originally posted by beeware:

Tech has been outscored in every quarter except the first and overtime....way outscored in the second half.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">STATS SMATS....All you have are these SILLY little Stats..Again Stats are for losers...WHO has Maryland played??? ANSWER: NO ONE........

Keep your usual drumbeat up.....Coach Gailey is in line for ACC coach of the year..And ALL you NOW have is STATS....

Originally posted by beeware:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Found UMd's equivalent:
Maryland............ 64 60 48 37 0 - 209
Opponents........... 10 38 10 37 7 - 102

And like all stats, it's open to interpretation (Helps to have a 61-0 win over Citadel in there)

2BT .. i guess you can go ahead and update those Maryland stats now.

Also update the one stat that i brought up .. their record against winning teams .. which now stands at 1-3.

but oh well, that is a weak stat which is why i am dead last in the prediction contest.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
2BT .. lol .. i don't do predictions.

i have a sum total of 3 games in the database and i put those in so that i could peek at what all you great prognosticators are well, prognosticating.

that UMd stat does hold though. their record is 1-2 against teams with a current winning record. shows that they got beaten by good teams they played and bullied the bad teams they played.

as far as form goes, at the end of the season, i'll be looking for your post where you broke down all our games going to a 2-10 season.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I am still waiting for 2BT to stand out naked in front of the varsity as he said he would if we go 6-6 or better. Better start stripping...then we can really see if you have Two Big Techsticles or are they the puny kind that we think they might be. It sucks when you have to eat crow huh?

(hey no personal offense to you 2BT, just for the fun of the game)
wink.gif

since 2BT is busy prognosticating more games and solidifying his position on the table of the prediction contest, i will go ahead and update these awesome Maryland stats.

Originally posted by 2 Big Techsticles:
1. Maryland has scored first in all seven of their games thus far this year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">yup they did that again versus Tech .. how is this stat relevant i don't know.

2. Beware quarters #1 and #3. Maryland has outscored their opponents 64-10 in the first and 48-10 in the 3rd.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">well they scored a whopping 0 points in quarter one matched by our whopping 0 points as well but they outscored us by a huge margin of 3 points in the 3rd quarter .. 3 to 0. i'm sure this is also relevant in some form but i cannot figure it out.

3. In Ralph Friedgen's two-plus seasons, Maryland is a perfect (24-0) when leading at halftime.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">well .. the fridge can rest on his laurels with this stat cause we went into half time tied as 0-0. so he's still a perfect 24 and 0. big smegging deal.

4. Maryland leads the conference with a 96.2% scoring ratio inside the red zone this year.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">well if we keep them outside the red zone this stat doesn't matter just like it didn't thursday night.

5. Maryland's defense now ranks #14 Nationally in Total Defense and #10 Nationally in Scoring Defense.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">their defense is awesome but the bottom line is that we scored enough against them and moved the ball more than enough against them to win.

6. Since his game-tying kick here at Tech two seasons ago, UM kicker Nick Novak has made 50 of his last 57 field goal attempts with most of the misses coming from beyond 50 yards.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">well .. novak missed what he would call a chip shot against us going a meagre 1-2. tsk tsk tsk.

7. Experience factor. Maryland starts 6 seniors on both sides of the ball.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">well .. we knocked out their most experienced senior in Scott McBrien. i don't think his experience helped him much when Landry popped him and Henderson took him out of the game. Even with the experience he scored a whopping 0 points in the first half against us.

8. In the first two games against Northern Illinois and Florida State, the Terrapins scored a total of 23 points. In the five games since then, Maryland has totaled 187 points (just over 37 points per game)
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">this is the funniest stat. well .. in the one game after all the games above, maryland scored a whopping 3 points total.

Maryland had a record of 1-2 versus winning teams prior to their game against Georgia Tech.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">well, this is a weak stat which explains my position in the prediction contest. but i would like to update this stat and peg it at 1-3.

thanks much.

Back