8 years ago today

13.5 yards/play
12.1 yards/carry
25.0 yards/pass attempt
6.0 points/drive

Believe one of those first 2 was an all-time CFB record at the time.

There's a good case, I think, that the CPJ era was cut short in the end by the success of negative recruiting against his system and against our school. It will be interesting to see how the new guy fares against this, given he's probably never seen negative recruiting to the sort of level we have to deal with.
Yeah it’s not like he was ON THE STAFF and had a hand in enrolling the best recruiting class in Tech history or anything

Yeah it’s not like he was ON THE STAFF and had a hand in enrolling the best recruiting class in Tech history or anything
I get that, I really do. But the 2007 class has been discussed in the media and Tech message boards since the get-go, to the point of it being almost mythical. Yet, I don't think I ever saw Geoff's name associated with that class until December 2018 when he was hired. We heard Giff Smith's name associated with putting this class together a lot, but never Geoff's.

Why was Geoff not given credit by anyone for the 2007 class until we hired him?

This. I've been wondering since December. It completely changed from giff Smith to CGC when he was hired.
I'm not saying you're wrong with where you're going here, but Giff became kind of a meme around here during the 2007 campaign. A few folks in the know credited and praised Giff, nobody wanted to credit Gailey so much, and Giff became a symbolic amalgamation of the entire recruiting staff. Like merging multiple people from a true story into a single character for its film adaptation.

There's a good case, I think, that the CPJ era was cut short in the end by the success of negative recruiting against his system and against our school. It will be interesting to see how the new guy fares against this, given he's probably never seen negative recruiting to the sort of level we have to deal with.
That definitely contributed to it, but it's also a fact that CPJ and his staff were plain bad recruiters, save for Andy.

I'm not saying you're wrong with where you're going here, but Giff became kind of a meme around here during the 2007 campaign. A few folks in the know credited and praised Giff, nobody wanted to credit Gailey so much, and Giff became a symbolic amalgamation of the entire recruiting staff. Like merging multiple people from a true story into a single character for its film adaptation.
MV5BMmU3NzIyODctYjVhOC00NzBmLTlhNWItMzBlODEwZTlmMjUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I get that, I really do. But the 2007 class has been discussed in the media and Tech message boards since the get-go, to the point of it being almost mythical. Yet, I don't think I ever saw Geoff's name associated with that class until December 2018 when he was hired. We heard Giff Smith's name associated with putting this class together a lot, but never Geoff's.

We heard Giffs name because he stuck around.

He certainly has not seen the level of negative recruiting he faces... from his own school's fans.

Oh, wait. He coached here before. He's seen it.

You might be posting that sarcastically, but I’m not. That offense, even when working, sucked to watch.
Then you don't understand football. The 3O is a beautiful thing to watch when it's clicking. In fact, I would love to sit in the north stands just to watch the plays unfold. The first play in the OP's video is a classic example. I was there and as soon as the counter was handed off, I jumped up with my arms lifted high indicating a touchdown. You could see it happen before it happened. And you're not telling me that you didn't enjoy watching those infamous death marches that would eat up the clock and there was NOTHING the other team could do. I mean that piece where Bobby Bowden is flabbergasted is absolute gold. I'm not on here to bash CGC or CPJ. They are different. I'm sure we'll improve when we can have players on the line of scrimmage that are NOT walk-ons.

You might be posting that sarcastically, but I’m not. That offense, even when working, sucked to watch.

Yeah, that 95 yard TD on the first play of the game (for the third game in a row) sucked. Rewriting the GT record books for longest running and passing plays, points, yards, time of possession, etc. really sucked for people who like offense.

It's been so much better watching a Bill Lewis-style "pass complete, loss of 2" offense this year!

JRjr

Yeah, that 95 yard TD on the first play of the game (for the third game in a row) sucked. Rewriting the GT record books for longest running and passing plays, points, yards, time of possession, etc. really sucked for people who like offense.

It's been so much better watching a Bill Lewis-style "pass complete, loss of 2" offense this year!

JRjr
Feasting on incompetent teams was Johnson’s forte. Wow what fun! We ran all over a Kansas team that sucked and won 2 games that year!

We would also go on to lose 5 games once the competition actually started to resemble a real football team.

Collins wasn't really on a lot of fans' radars at all until he emerged as a candidate for the job. His stints were brief and I don't know that many understood the importance of a recruiting coordinator/director of player personnel at the time. But enough former players have confirmed his role in that recruiting class so that it really doesn't make much sense to question it.

Feasting on incompetent teams was Johnson’s forte. Wow what fun! We ran all over a Kansas team that sucked and won 2 games that year!

We would also go on to lose 5 games once the competition actually started to resemble a real football team.

It's funny how people keep bringing up "the offense," and then when you actually start talking about the offense, they start talking about wins and losses and everything but "the offense."

Our defense and special teams were not much fun to watch under Johnson, which certainly affected our W-L record. Some teams defended the offense better than others. But watching "the offense" clowning sucky teams like FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech, (preseason national champs) U[sic]GA, (midseason #1) Mississippi State, and others sure as öööö was fun to watch. If you can't acknowledge that, you're just a hater.

JRjr

Back