A bad taste in my mouth from Athens

JacobmanJacketfan

Varsity Lurker
I wanted to share with you all some of our experiences with classless UGAG fans after a recent visit to watch Tech play UGAG.

First we were given obscene gestures on the road to Athens simply because we displayed Tech Paraphernalia. On game day, we made the mistake of going into downtown Athens to look for a bite to eat. We went into a restaurant at 1:50PM and waited in line to order. Our order was placed at 2:08PM and we watched as about ten other UGAG fans who came in after us were served before us. Our ticket was skipped over and we finally received our food at 2:40PM. Disgusted, we left for the game.

As the game began and Tech was quickly overtaken, UGAG fans got worse. Besides the lingering smell like the bottom of a beer bottle, there were fans cursing profusely at us. Fans in east stands held both hands up with birds and shouted profanities at the top of their lungs toward our section. Toward the end of the first half fans to our right began throwing trash toward the section.

The finale was during halftime. Buzz went to the band section while they were down on the field. As young children were having their picture taken with him, UGAG fans nearby were shouting profanties at the parents.

I will go to as many Tech game as I can but I WILL NEVER return to this stadium. I am appalled at the behavior that we encountered and while I do not speak for all UGAG fans collectively, I can say that there are several puppy fans who simply need to get a little bit of class. If and when you come to Tech next year and when we beat the puppies I will shake your hand and say good game. I will not curse you, flip you off or throw things at you. I will have class.

This is the way it's always been! My last time to Athens was 1992! My daughter was 6 years old. We were in the car driving to the game and she had a GTech cheerleading outfit on and we had Tech flags on the care, we were yelled at (profanities), given the finger and other irrational behavior! I promised myself and my family I WOULD NEVER go there again. Sick, demented people!

Ironically, this past Saturday (my daughter is now 16) we were shopping in the Vinings area, the game is now over and done with. We have GT plates on our car and a young man around 30 was in a car coming towards us ... pointed at the plate and gave my daughter the finger!!

My daughter calmly looked at me and said, "one of those delusional, unintelligent Georgia fans, Mom." She's learned over the years but to tell you the truth, they take this stuff a little too far!

i'm sorry that "irrational" fans mistreated you, but you're delusional if you think some tech fans don't do the same things. believe me, the walk back to my car through your "campus" wasn't pretty after '97--and we won that game! in '99, it was far worse. a question, though: when did we throw things at our players, as you allege? i witnessed the COMPLETELY EMBARASSING booing during halftime of the auburn game in '99, but i didn't see anyone throw anything. maybe i'm wrong. you guys had some rowdy fans throw a liquor bottle at a referree, so...well, people in glass houses.

it's a college football rivalry. things get out of hand. again, you're just absolutely nuts or blind to think it doesn't go both ways.

kudos to you, cracker jacket, for not tolerating such behavior.

Hollywood puppy,
I was even in attendance at AMC when we spanked the puppies a couple of weeks ago. I can't speak for everyone, but for the most part, puppies quietly walked to their car. Tech fans cheered "Yellow" and "Jackets" all the way to their car. Throwing bottles,cursing the puppy fans was not part of our celebration.

The difference is this: Tech fans have brains. That is why you puppies like to call us "nerds" or "dorks." If having brains is what makes you a nerd then I celebrate my nerdom. What seems to come with those brains is the knowledge that it is JUST A GAME. We are a rivalry yes, but we are also still human beings, also still fellow Americans. I am sure that bad things happen a Bobby Dodd, but it is nothing to be compared with the experiences that Tech fans have when they visit Sanford and Son stadium (AKA: The Drunk Tank). We are not even close to the lack of class of the typical intoxicated puppy. I do not condone the behavior of any classless fan whether he or she is a Techie or a puppy.

are you seriously saying that without question, anyone who roots for tech is smarter than anyone who roots for UGA? that's a hoot.

i thought the reason we called you nerds is because it's a fun, stupid stereotype. i thought the reason you called us rednecks is because it's a fun, stupid stereotype. guess i'm not the one taking this stuff seriously.

again, i'm sorry you were cursed at. that's just wrong. i've taunted fans before, but i've never cursed or threatened anyone. that's usually what i see from other dawgs and jackets alike.

I find this whining about Techies treatment in Athens very hypocritical given what your players did to our logo proceeding the start of the game. Over the last few years Jacket fans don't exactly have a reputation of sophistication at Bobby Dodd stadium (see AJC reports of ref being hit in the head with a beer bottle and Maryland band members brutalized by crazed Jackets following yet another defeat).

When GT won three in a row your fan base rubbed it into our faces like there was no tomorrow - payback is B*tch and now your going to have to deal with a newly restored order in the state of Georgia. As hard as it is to suck up a 51-7 defeat it is time to move on. I don't like Dawg fans who use profanity and intimidation, that is totally uncalled for and leaves a very bad impression about our fans and university. But don't think for one second Tech fans can't be just as rude and obnoxious.

I'm sorry but I am an over 40 Mom who does not at any time condone any type maliciousness. At the game last year at Tech ... long before the game started (3 Hours before) I had your fans threatening to do harm to my family and our car!

No one had said anything to them. I proceeded to get the police and let them take care of a very rowdy group of grown adults who went too far! These people were not students they were my age and older. If Tech fans do this, they are wrong and should be dealt with. I have not see anything like this from Tech fans and if I did I would try to stop it!

It's one thing to banter back and forth about your like for your team, get rid of the nastiness and profanity. Threatening individuals because of a football game is absolutely ludricous! And in all my years of going to these games ... beginning in 1974 it's always been the other way.

Okay. I happen to be a friend of "JacobMan" and I was with him, and I must say his post was right on. all of these things happened. While we may get caught up in the rivelry as well we do NOT curse and give the finger when little kids are present. The worst I saw, or did, when we spanked yall in basketball, was chant "Overrated".
Puppies, definitely take it to far. not ALL just some.
As for the food situation, I can garuntee you, that would NEVER happen at the "greasy V" in the ATL. or anyother resturant for that matter. that just shows lack of class.

To hell with Georgia!

RW4L

Wasn't a pup bragging a while ago about filling up their stadium? I guess they have to fill it up with something.

I've seen behavior from both camps that are totally classless (everybody has 'em, I'm sorry to say), but the mutts take the honors, by far, in both quantity and amplitude.

Both measures are the unfortunate byproduct of the appeal factor....one of those "gotta take the good with the bad" thingies, as it were. The A-CCCI, being the big flagship school/sports factory, will always draw (1) more bodies, total and (2) a larger faction of the LCD's in life (I refer to them as the 'WCW/Springer Faction' ;-) Like most big state U's, the fanbase at The 'Pool is always going to have it's disproportionate slice of folks that put the 'low' in 'followers'.

Mind you, I know countless puppy fans (many of 'em friends) that I will quickly count as some of the best folks around......class personified!.....and I also know some NATS'ers that I wouldn't invite to a goat-ropin'!.....but, all-in-all, the mutter puppers will always carry the state torch for trailer-trash behavior. After all, who has the worse rep outside of the state?

I just took my last trip to the "armpit of the South" as well.

The negatives simply outweighed the positives from the new red and black friends we made while tailgating.

Never thought I'd say this but Clemson's fans have the edge over the mutts in class!

soapbox.gif

Dawgbite-

Puppies have done their fair share of "rubbing it in OUR faces" when we lose, but there are just boundries you dont overstep, and cursing and giveing the finger in the presence of little kids is overstepping boundries.
Those Fans that threw bottles should be banished from BDS. I WOULD say the same about the situation I encountered at sanford and Son stadium, but that would pretty much can your student attendies!

RW4L

To Jacobman: Whuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

The make-up of fans at most schools is somewhat akin to the make-up of society as a whole. There is good and bad everywher and at most all schools.

Even though I have some very good friends and family that are Georgia fans, I kid them a lot about UGA and the red-neck bit. However, there are undesirables at both schools who have not mastered the manners of the human race and are deplorable examples of each school.

I think it would be hard for one school to prove it was better than any other school regarding its degenerate segment. I would hope that segment is a small minority of each school.

rolleyes.gif

UGAg fans NEVER throw bottles cause their livelihood depends on how many they can take to convenience store for refund.

what a joke to see the dawgies come on here and try to say that it works both ways!! You know better or your a liar.

Fact is maybe 5% of Tech fans are jerks but good 30% UGAg fans are pure jerks, trailer park alumni, with more criminal arrests than teeth...

I too have accosted "normal" Georgia fans over the behavior of some of their "other" fans and they just stare and shrug like they have no responsibility for their brethren in red. Fact is guys, you are judged with them whether you like it or not. And it does carryover to the workplace, places of business, and social settings. You're only hurting yourselves by tolerating this behavior... unless of course you're one of the "others"...

Jacobman JAcketfan:

I will always return to Athens every time to support our guys. Don't worry. I got the same medicine: profuse cussing, disrespect, signs like BUCK U FEES. On the walk to the stadium I must have gotten cussed out 10-12 times. I guess it didn't help that I was wearing my #14 Joe Hamilton jersey.

I know it's a rivalry, but the behavior is terrible.

This crying has a lot more to do with 51-7 than it does treatment by the fans.

If it weren't for 51-7, you guys would be laughing about the signs and the cursing.

But 51-7 kinda changes your perspective doesn't it?

51-7, for lack of a better word, stings like hell, doesn't it?

while we're talking percentages, here's one: 88%. this percentage bears some significance. do you know what it is? hint: it has something to do with 51-7.

glad you all made it out of sanford alive after 51-7.

Back