a crying shame...

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
we did not win the game yesterday. There were several significant factors.

The poor officiating I am sure that everytime a receiver goes for a catchable ball on a deep or pattern in the end zone that FSU's corners are coached to push the receiver towards the sidelines. They always seem to get away with it.

Making BIG plays. FSU made 2 big plays or we beat them like a kid brother. We march up and down the field on them but CAN'T convert the big play, they do nothing for most of the game offensively and hit the big bomb to go up before half. There are 2 reasons this happens:
We are playing too conservatively and as a result don't have the big strike ability (just the grind it out till we stumble in or they stop us). OR we don't have the talent to make the big plays.

I actually believe yesterday was more of the latter. We had a great offensive gameplan. We took what they gave us and we moved the ball very well. But in the short field in the red zone they tighten up on the D and we can't get in. Our receivers are not fast enough to break away and out run them. Our backs are not powerful/fast enough to break the last tackle and go the distance.

All in all I give the coaching staff a B+ on this one, offense and defense. AJ has been making a lot of progress in recent weeks and played well at times yesterday. But he still made some tremendously expensive mistakes on 2 of the int's (the third was just a phenomonal play by a linebacker covering a wide receiver down the field, sure the ball was underthrown but it wasn't a meltdown like the other 2).

I like AJ. However, I consistently believe that Bilbo needs to be taking about 1/3 of our snaps and if he starts blooming, more than that. By now we could know who the better QB really is. Come on Coach, I'm with you all the way, but this is the one area you have let us down.

Next week against Duke would be a good game to give Bilbo many snaps. Hell, maybe even start him. If he doesn't know but 5-6 plays then run 5-6 plays. If he melts down then put AJ back in. Duke is no patsy, but they are the weakest ACC team we will play other than UNC, so now or never.

We still find a way to beat UGAg and it will be a great year in my book.

I agree with a lot of your post. I am still worried about giving Bilbo much time in a close game, but wouldn't be upset if it happened. We need to finish Duke off early and get healthy for Ugag.

Back