"a defense loaded with everything but linebackers"

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
\"a defense loaded with everything but linebackers\"

This is part of the description College Football News uses for Ga Tech in it's preseason look at the contenders. They were actually kinda good to us by picking us to be #21 in the country. The bad news is that they see us as only 6th in the ACC.

GT picked by CFN to be #21 preseason

Re: \"a defense loaded with everything but linebackers\"

6th in the ACC, but combined with the term, "Sleepers," basicly means "possibly" better that 6th.

That's how I'm going to remember what I read. Looking at our incomings and what we currently have, I will predict an ok start with a huge finish. We have the talent from the beginning, but no experience for some of the key components.

I'd say the season will be decided by:
1. Reggie's consistency
2. Calvin becoming what we hope, and
3. Whether or not Reis, Hall, Chambers, or Guyton ever show that they are capable of being the next Fox's & Smith's - i.e. Not the same impact, but competent impact early in their career at GT.

Reis will play and will have an impact. Period. The question is whether he does it 'at LB' or will, at least somebody, do so 'at LB,' besides Wilkinson. We know we have at least two 'competent' LBs. No question.

Reis will be good. No doubt. We need 'him' or 'somebody' to be better than that. That's the question. Two outstanding LB's will be a muct for us. I'm confident we will have that by the end of the season and optimistic that we will in the beginning.

Whether it's 1 or 2 big timers at LB in the beginning of the season, I'm pretty confident it will be at least one more by the end.

I'm expecting an OUTSTANDING defensive crew on hand by UGA time, injury situation permitting.

Obviously there are other variables - OL, DB and DL injury situations, but those are the 3 I would watch most closely.

It would actually be a pretty unusual year if we don't have somebody step up at LB. If you look back over our football history we almost always have good LBs and we also have a history or a FR stepping in when given the opportunity. IIRC Smith did, Fox as well I think, but if you go back further I think you'll find a lot of FR LBs who started.

I think back to what we did after Brooking and Rogers left the last big hole at LB, if memory serves we did pretty well in the 98-00 seasons.

I wonder if having two huge LB's buys us some time to develop other defensive players who are ready to take the lead when the LB's graduate.

Re: \"a defense loaded with everything but lineback

[ QUOTE ]
I think back to what we did after Brooking and Rogers left the last big hole at LB, if memory serves we did pretty well in the 98-00 seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was cause our offense was ridiculously good. If you recall we didn't have a good D back then. One of those years was when Woody Dantzler singlehandedly beat us.

Re: \"a defense loaded with everything but lineback

My money is on either or both Eric Williams and Travis Chambers as being the ones (NcJacket refers to) as the Frosh. to step up at LB THIS year..I love what I read on Both and especially Williams....

Sorry CCU

Hate to disagree, but if you recall from '98 to 2000, we had just one BAD defensive team and that was the '99 squad. That defense was loaded with underclassmen. '98 was a pretty steady D and the 2000 squad was arguably the best D we've had in the last decade. They shut out UVA and held UGA to just 15. ALL three years we beat Clemson. Dantzler danced all over us in 2001 and most will remember that he did most of his damage after Daryl Smith left the game with an injury.

I'm pretty darn excited and confident about what our D can do this year!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blue.gif

my mistake

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif you're right, I have my years mixed up. I always forget how long ago those years were.

But I do think our D will be pretty good this year. The LB's don't have to carry the run game cause it looks like we might finally have a D-Line. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

Re: my mistake

PCB....I remember that Clemson game oh so well...I remember leaving the stadium and finally admitting it (as a lot fans commented)...Under Oleary we had some great offenses but our defense usually stunk under him...Jon Tenuta is the best Def. Coordinator we have had since Don Lindsey and The old Black watch days..The emphasis now is on Defense in recruiting as it should be...

Being Picked 6th in Conference

Isn't that better than where our hoops team was picked this last pre-season?

We were eighth last year from the media in a nine

team league.

We did OK anyway.

I am flattered with sixth. We have the talent to pull it off, but the guys will have to work very hard this summer because we have a lot of question marks.

Back