A Disparity of athletic failures?

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
I have just finished reading an article about the Tech baseball feat accomplished this past weekend.

It was mentioned again, no baseball player had any academic problems. It is understood, for the most part, all of the remaining athletic teams are free from this dilemma accept the football team.

Some will blame it on the coach, but all of the athletic teams are treated the same by the academic tutoring system. It is beginning to place some doubt in my mind as to the true culprit/culprits in this situation.

It is possible the fault lies directly with the athletes and their non-desire to pass the courses. It seems there is a core group, although very small, of Tech followers who also wants Gailey to fail.

With this in mind, some players laying down on Tech and Gailey last year, and the possible split loyalty of some of the players between BOB and Gailey, the possibility exists some of those players did not care to exert the effort to pass the courses.

If the players knew they could remain in school, not have to play for Gailey this year, and be elligible to play next year, and hope Gailey gets the axe at the end of the year; it is possible they are part of an attempt to get rid of Gailey and Braine at the same time.

It is also possible a core group of Tech followers is part of this problem and are fueling this attempt with some disgruntled players in an attempt to bring about their desired objectives.

What makes this appear feasable to me is the fact some of the core group of followers have been anti-Gailey from the very beginning without one iota of desire that he should succeed at Tech.

If these players purposely neglected their studies for this reason, justice will be served if Gailey is awarded another year after this one.

If the above situation were to be true, and Gailey given an additional year, both the players and fans involved with this attempt to railroad Gailey would have their folly return on their own heads.

With one more year of recruiting, and very few of the players remaining from the old regime after the third year of recruiting, it is possible there would be a change in the whole attitude in the football program.

The above described situation may not be true and is submitted only as a possibility. However, there appears to be a disparity in the grades between football athletes and the other athletes at this particular time.

If this happened all the time, it could be accounted for, but this is the first year a disparity has appeared in the grades between the different athletics.

It came as a total surprise to everyone. If I was a football player, was trying hard to pass, and realized I was having grade problems, I would talk to coach Gailey
drinking.gif
and try to get additional help.

In this case, it appears coach Gailey was not approached by any of the athletes and knew nothing of their grading problems.

Sounds fishy!

no, no and no or however many scenerios you gave. First off the baseball teams makeup and the fact a lot of them are from north Atlanta says a lot about there academic integrity.

Nice try Aho, but your theory is bunk. You refer to the "old regime" and lack of motivation. I dare say, Hollings, when Gailey is the one who gave him a shot at running back, would not be motivated. Ditto for Hargrove, who started for Gailey, not O'Leary. The list goes on and on.

So all 10 felt such a strong feeling for O'Leary and anti-Chan they just up and flunked out? No flunkie he, Pena was no academic casualty, a Gailey recruit he looked around after just a few weeks and decided to cut his losses quickly.

Another year of recruiting will turn this ship around? Your kidding right? In fact, another recruiting year like last one and you can kiss another shot at a winning year for the new coach until 3/4 years down the road.

This "system" you are defending - Braine's, has failed miserably. And, might I add, failed against the one measurement we have - past coaches - O'Leary, Lewis, Ross, etc. Give Braine less than a year and he loses 10 this time with more probables.

Your suggestion that they go ask Gailey for help might hold water if they could find him. After that Georgia and Fresno pummeling I'm not sure he was around much during the grading period in discussion.

Sorry Ahso, but that theory seems a complete stretch. I am not saying the players were completely busting their butts academically, but to think they colluded to get the coach fired is crazy. If this was true, wouldn't Gailey know that and if so, why would he say he was holding their scholarships for them until next spring? It would seem he would want them as far away from the program as possible.

Gentlemen - The system Braine put in for academics is the exact same system put in at NC State several years ago. And, the results are exactly the same. There was a period of time at NCS when the coaches did not know who they would have elligible to play. Check the record. Football is a far more demanding sport than some of the others, and there are more SA's on football scholarship than any other sport. Also, as previously mentioned, the backgrounds of the football SA's is far more diverse than other sports, especially, baseball, golf and tennis. Braine is fully aware of these things and he put the system in without regard to the outcome at NCS and the potential outcome at Tech. This man needs to go.

Academics:
Ahsoisee has made some interesting observations. Even though I may not agree with all of them, I still think he has some valid points. I certainly agree that the S.A. is the responsible party for his academics and the sooner he or she learns this the better.
Coach Gailey:
There is definitely a faction here at GT that will not be happy until Chan Gailey has left, and for this I see no reason. I've said it before and I'll say it again, our FB program was not as solid and great as some were thinking before CG came on as HC. A large degree of the wins that we posted were due to the brilliance of Ralph Friegdens (please excuse if misspelled)offensive coaching, and the QB,s that he had to use. Joe Hamilton turned many plays that were destined for losses into positive yardage due to his greatness for eluding defenses. This by no means takes anything away from his line or any other team member though. But, Joe Hamilton did an unusually splendid job. After Joe finished his career in FB at GT, I went to the Spring game to see what we would have to replace him with. I wouldn't have given you two cents for either replacement, but boy, was I proven wrong in the fall. The "Goose" refused to be outdone, hence another winning year at Tech. Point being, a lot of wins that happened in GOL's last years were not due to a sound and solid football program. I truly believe that our football program slipped badly in the "basic football" area of the game during GOL's reign. Yes, GOL is a wonderful coach. No, I will not take anything that he accomplished away from him. I do believe that if he had stayed on at GT, our football team would have not been anymore pleasing to watch than it was this past season with CG. Coach Gailey inherited a less than perfect scenario which I also feel GOL could see coming for himself, and that very fact may have had some bearing on his desire to take the Notre Dame job. Until Chan Gailey was considered for the job, I had never really paid much attention to him. But since he has taken the job, I'd like to see him receive support from the fan base of GT. I still think we need to allow at least three years for him to get his system in place before we sentence him. Give him an adequate opportunity to produce, and if at the end of this time he hasn't proven suffient, I'll lead the line to replace him. Until then, as long as he doesn't prove to be an embarrassment to GT as some neighboring coaches of late have done, he'll recieve my total support and I hope yours too. CG wil be here in Rome soon and I do intend to be there and field some questions for him.

"The above described situation may not be true and is submitted only as a possibility."............................maybe
wink.gif

Ahso, there are some holes in your theory. First a number of the players who flunked out were either Gailey's recruits or players who had benefited from Gailey being here. Holling was a reserve safety under O'Leary and became a star under Gailey. Hargrove benefited from Gailey and Tenuta. McNair and Sampson were Gailey's recruits who were going to play a lot in the fall. Why would they want Gailey out? If you look at the unnamed list, more players fall in this category. Essentially, Gailey's first recruiting class has been virtually stripped. Also, according to the AJC, Gailey wanted to be involved on the academic side as early as January but Clough and Braine stopped. If Gailey has a beef with anybody, it should be Clough and Braine. They implied that Gailey would be Jim Harrick Jr if they didn't reign him in and keep him from talking to professors. Braine and Clough have racked up huge charges on Gailey's credit card. The coming 7 and 8 loss seasons will go on Gailey's record not theirs.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Sounds fishy!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It do, it do.

Interesting theory. It could happen but if players on the team actually attempted to sabotage the program in any way I'd like to be first in line to tar and feather them and ride them out of town much less redshirt them.

More likely is that the SAs and Gailey both made an inefficient adjustment to the change of command. Obviously the ball got dropped but CG is the "new guy" and with his abbreviated start on things it's not surprising that something fell through the cracks. The other program's coaches were not distracted. Gailey and the academic failures were. No excuses but it's highly unusual for a program to be in a state of flux without some instability.

Ahsoisee,

Too many assumptions and IIRC one of the athletics was a tennis player.

One assumption, that all sports require the same time committment. On the surface this seems questionable.

Another assumption, the supply and demand is the same accross all sports.

Finally, men & women SAs; we all know women are smarter than men (just ask my wife).

Back