A good look from the President

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Peterson is a SJW dick. It was embarrassing how the institute handled several issues while he was president. The one where there was a demonstrably false allegation of the N word being yelled from a window of a frat house (that has been boarded up by a loft for a long time) is the one that stands out.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
I ran into Bud and his wife in the concourse before a game at Miami and they were chatting it up with the fans that were sitting out there. Seemed like nice enough people. I also saw them walking back to the President’s house from AMC after basketball games on at least a couple of occasions. They seemed to be appropriately involved in athletics as an observer, but I can’t speak to any behind the scenes stuff.

JRjr
Bud Peterson made such an enemy of my tailgate group when we got evicted from the 4th street apartment lawns that everyone started giving $4 until he was gone. Tailgating alumni falsely accused of leaving a mess and ruining grass weren't worth his time.

StraightFresh

Midtown Zoomer
GT's rankings slipped during the 10s. We used to be ranked in the 30s overall, now we're in the 40s. Individual programs that I track slipped from #2 to #3-5 (though some have recovered under Cabrera).
Everyone knows the rankings can't be looked at with that level of granularity. ME dropping to #4 or whatever probably just means that Cal hired one more female minority professor than we did.

My point is that pre-10's GT was just a very good public school along the lines of a Texas or Illinois. It's the 10's where it got the 'this person is 100% very intelligent' aura that I don't think any other public schools really have. GT's reputation on places like r/cfb, etc is crazy

Last edited by a moderator:

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
My point is that pre-10's GT was just a very good public school along the lines of a Texas or Illinois. It's the 10's where it got the 'this person is 100% very intelligent' aura that I don't think any other public schools really have. GT's reputation on places like r/cfb, etc is crazy
Not just on Reddit. The respect that the GT name carries with recruiters and hiring managers up in the NYC area is kind of crazy. Have had multiple occasions where they say how good of a school GT is or that they wish they could hire more people from GT.

LibertyJacket

Varsity Lurker
What? Did I miss something?

Someone associated with Georgia Tech was deeply involved in illegally spying on a sitting President of the United States and passing the information to a political rival. Luckily for Georgia Tech, the news media hates the US President in question so they have done everything possible to keep it all out of the news.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Everyone knows the rankings can't be looked at with that level of granularity. ME dropping to #4 or whatever probably just means that Cal hired one more female Jewish professor than we did.

Go look at the rankings history. The 10's were nothing special or unique. GT has been that good since the late 90s. I haven't found data before that.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Not just on Reddit. The respect that the GT name carries with recruiters and hiring managers up in the NYC area is kind of crazy. Have had multiple occasions where they say how good of a school GT is or that they wish they could hire more people from GT.
People have been saying that since you and I were in school in the 00's and before. GT has long been an established academic brand.

goldeagle

Dodd-Like
Bud always seemed to show up at least for football games, and at alumni functions, he was pleasant and easy to talk to, but I never trusted him. It was all show for him. I hope Cabrera is not just show and words, but action too, and lately, it sure seems like action is his "game". Sure hope so anyway.
For an ex-jock, albeit at a then-horrible pre-Bill Snyder Kansas State, Peterson was as absolutely worthless to the GTAA as he & his VPs were corrupt/indicted.

Not a Peterson fan.
Met Bud and Val at several alumni functions in Macon. Seems like Val was the one who led singing the Wreck,and also had the bigger set of balls in the family.
Did not particularly care for either of them.

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Despite what was said often on this board, Cabrera has consistently indicated that athletics are important to him. I'm glad to see that is getting more recognition and, more importantly, that his actions are backing it up.
They all say it’s important. But your salient point is about actions. Tech’s prez certainly shouldn’t make athletics his primary concern. Not by a long shot, not even close. But the prez needs to take athletics seriously. Cabrera seems to. We may finally have the prez Tech needs.

verdi

Opossum
My experience with GT was pretty poor recently. One department in particular (CS) is completely overwhelmed, and it really shows.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
he was. And todd his hire was equally if not more lacking in iq
Yeah and he botched the Big 10 move, then allowed us to get sucked into that horrendous ACC contract.

Edit: forgot he hired Sasquatch also