A.J. Gray ... '15 Parade All-American

They are just playing to the colleges that have the most subscriptions and make them the most money. UGA has plenty more subscriptions than we do. I think Calvin was only a 4 star. If you commit to GT early, you won't be truly re-evaluated.

- - -
Yes Hoffie you are correct

He was ranked behind ALL FOUR UGA WR recruits that year

Massaqua who was indeed special but no Calvin, Reggie Brown was the highest of all, Somebody Johnson, and maybe Terrence Edwards (also from Tenille/Sandersville like AJ)

Or maybe I messed those up - either way - the 4 - whoever they were - were all rated higher than Calvin by Scout

Rivals may have had him as a 5 star but I can't remember

...He is the leader of a good basketball team and is no show boat....he directs the floor and can score or assist......he is going to be a good safety since he is smart and can be bigger and will hit you.........glad we got him.

Sounds like Brain Gregory needs him more than PJ.

difficult to rank them against each other to begin with, but especially if you only have 10min highlight tapes for each one.

Let's be honest - they don't look at highlight tapes. That's like calling references (you only get the good ones so it's obviously biased).

They look at offer sheets and give stars based off that. Then they bias towards teams that, for some reason, are considered better teams (SEC, top half of the Big 10, Texas, FSU, USC, ND).

- - -

Massaqua who was indeed special but no Calvin, Reggie Brown was the highest of all, Somebody Johnson, and maybe Terrence Edwards (also from Tenille/Sandersville like AJ)

Or maybe I messed those up - either way - the 4 - whoever they were - were all rated higher than Calvin by Scout

you're pretty confused, in general. Massaquoi (class of 05) wasn't even in the same recruiting class as Calvin (2004.)

Terrence Edwards graduated from HS in 1997 and was not recruited by Richt. Neither was Reggie Brown.

you're pretty confused, in general. Massaquoi (class of 05) wasn't even in the same recruiting class as Calvin (2004.)

Terrence Edwards graduated from HS in 1997 and was not recruited by Richt. Neither was Reggie Brown.

Forget it, he's rolling

Let's be honest - they don't look at highlight tapes. That's like calling references (you only get the good ones so it's obviously biased).

They look at offer sheets and give stars based off that. Then they bias towards teams that, for some reason, are considered better teams (SEC, top half of the Big 10, Texas, FSU, USC, ND).

There's probably some truth to that. But I think our staff just does a very good job of identifying two things:

1) What we need out of a player at a certain position
2) How well players around the country fit those needs regardless of how they are rated

I have no problem with this. Everybody who had seen Shaq play from the GT camp knew he was a bigtime prospect despite not having offers. The trick isn't getting guys that are highly ranked - the trick is getting guys that are at the top of our coaching staff's recruiting board. Which we did a lot of this season.

We've been recruiting QBs like a boss lately. IIRC Vad, JT, Campbell/Ratliffe, and Marshall (we lead for him in '16 class) were all at the very top of our board for their respective classes. Vad didn't pan out, but he was a legit dual threat QB that we went out and stole from UNC/Duke.

If the DL recruiting continues to trend up, this staff will build a consistent winner. The cohesiveness of the staff the last three years should pay dividends in '16. If we can keep Roof/Pelton for the forseeable future we've got a good chance of building dominant teams for the rest of the decade.

The rest of the ACC isn't really aware of how worried they should be. You put an above-average front 7 with a CPJ offense and you've got a playoff contender. And if Jabari gets back onto the field and lives up to the hype, that's probably what we're gonna have in '15.

There's probably some truth to that. But I think our staff just does a very good job of identifying two things:

Just to be clear, I don't think the GT staff prioritizes targets based on stars. My comment was purely about how the rating agencies issue stars.

Just to be clear, I don't think the GT staff prioritizes targets based on stars. My comment was purely about how the rating agencies issue stars.

True that. I guess I wasn't disagreeing with you, just making a comment. :biggthumpup:

With all the handwringing about the star system, we would be freaking ecstatic if we were pulling in 4 star recruits. The 2007 class is proof.

With all the handwringing about the star system, we would be freaking ecstatic if we were pulling in 4 star recruits. The 2007 class is proof.

I don't think that's the crux of the issue. I think most would be happy to see the stars affixed to our recruits. The uproar is a guys like Gray (GA PoY) and Bryan being underrated. You'll have a hard time convincing me those guys are rated 3 stars if they'd committed to UGA.

I don't disagree - I get excited about 4* players as much as the next guy. BUT I would rather get a 3* guy that was at the top of CPJs recruiting board than a 4* guy that we took because we missed on other guys. If we get a 4* that happens to be at the top of our board as well, then fantastic.

The extreme example would be getting a 5* pocket passer (hypothetical of course). He's a 5* but does it matter to us? The other extreme is Cottrell. He's a 3* and deservedly so for any other P5 team (undersized). But put him at AB in our offense and he's a no-brainer 4*.

That's why I'm more concerned with getting guys at top of our lists. And again, I admit I love going to the Rivals commit page, sorting by ratings, and staring at the number of stars.

I actually kinda like that our guys are under rated and UGA's are over rated. It's a great source for mutthurt fuel.

So would you say the market is showing a buy signal for mutthurt futures?

Have you ever noticed that when the ajc shows a UGA player standing next to a Tech player, they always seem to pick one of the tallest Ga. players & one of the shortest ones for Tech. I noticed it again this year. In the picture the dwag was a head taller. They're obviously trying to make a point about Ga. being a more physical, stronger, & bigger SEC team.

Never would they show Waller standing next to a UGa cornerback.

Have you ever noticed that when the ajc...

The AJC is written at a 5th grade level because the primary J-school for the State is in Athens. Hence, I don't put much stock in anything they do or say.

Have you ever noticed that when the ajc shows a UGA player standing next to a Tech player, they always seem to pick one of the tallest Ga. players & one of the shortest ones for Tech. I noticed it again this year. In the picture the dwag was a head taller. They're obviously trying to make a point about Ga. being a more physical, stronger, & bigger SEC team.

Never would they show Waller standing next to a UGa cornerback.
Ah, seen any black helicopters out your way?

- - -

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back