A look around the ACC in recruiting

While true, there is NO college in the nation with more built-in advantages than UT-Austin. Not Notre22 Dame. Not Ohio State. And certainly not Alabama or Clemson. What you described is still an underachievement based on what should be baseline.

Mack Brown has the best win/loss record (.767 1998-2013) of any coach at Texas since Darrel Royal (.774 1957-1976) and before that you have to go back to Berry Whitaker (.865 1920-1922). Texas hasn't won the conference since Mack left.

While true, there is NO college in the nation with more built-in advantages than UT-Austin. Not Notre Dame. Not Ohio State. And certainly not Alabama or Clemson. What you described is still an underachievement based on what should be baseline.
Just think about the stories he can tell and the player names be can drop to an 18 yo. Add that down home way of speaking to parents and the memory people have of his previous time at UNC. Add being the flagship university and a school with virtually any major you can think about and a reputation for having lots of good looking girls and it’s no surprise.

While true, there is NO college in the nation with more built-in advantages than UT-Austin. Not Notre Dame. Not Ohio State. And certainly not Alabama or Clemson. What you described is still an underachievement based on what should be baseline.

What was their success in the time before and after Mack at UT?
16 Years of Mack - 13 top-25 finishes, 7 top-10 finishes​
16 years Pre-Mack - 6 top-25 finishes, 1 top-10 finish (1983)​
6 years Post-Mack - 2 top-25 finishes, 1 top-10 finish (and that team lost 4 games)​
Even with the advantages, it isn't easy.

I thought Mack was a buffoon based on his ESPN commentary gig, but obviously the guy is doing something right. His time at UT might not have gone south had he not missed on so many QBs post-Colt McCoy.

6 years Post-Mack - 2 top-25 finishes, 1 top-10 finish (and that team lost 4 games)​

I thought Mack was a buffoon based on his ESPN commentary gig, but obviously the guy is doing something right. His time at UT might not have gone south had he not missed on so many QBs post-Colt McCoy.
Yup, they could have had Andrew Luck and RG3 if they evaluated them correctly.

Wow I can't believe how many 4 and 5 star QBs flamed out for him. Good thing for him Sam Howell came into Chapel Hill as a polished QB as it sounds like Mack's one weakness is developing QBs.

Mack Brown has the best win/loss record (.767 1998-2013) of any coach at Texas since Darrel Royal (.774 1957-1976) and before that you have to go back to Berry Whitaker (.865 1920-1922). Texas hasn't won the conference since Mack left.

Which puts Mack Brown about 12th on the list of UT coaches, ranked by winning percentage.

The fact that the school had internal politics that caused them to avoid good coaches recently does not change that it is a dream job if you are a good coach.

Heck, "No coach" had a higher winning percentage at UT than Brown.

Which puts Mack Brown about 12th on the list of UT coaches, ranked by winning percentage.

The fact that the school had internal politics that caused them to avoid good coaches recently does not change that it is a dream job if you are a good coach.

Heck, "No coach" had a higher winning percentage at UT than Brown.

:lol: 10 of those 12 above Mack Brown were before the 1920's and 7 of those 10 coached less than 10 games total. I don't know what was going on in Texas Football before World War 1; but they seemed to have a lot of coaches who were only there for 1 season.

One thing I find interesting about Mack Brown, he will be 72-73 when the players he signs this year are seniors. Brown is roughly the same age as Saban; but I understand signing with Alabama with the hopes of winning a Natty at Bama. UNC hasn't even won the conference since 1980 and has never won a MNC in football.

:lol: 10 of those 12 above Mack Brown were before the 1920's and 7 of those 10 coached less than 10 games total. I don't know what was going on in Texas Football before World War 1; but they seemed to have a lot of coaches who were only there for 1 season.

One thing I find interesting about Mack Brown, he will be 72-73 when the players he signs this year are seniors. Brown is roughly the same age as Saban; but I understand signing with Alabama with the hopes of winning a Natty at Bama. UNC hasn't even won the conference since 1980 and has never won a MNC in football.

Which supports my position that anyone can win at UT. You just have to not screw up.

Which supports my position that anyone can win at UT. You just have to not screw up.

If your position was that anyone could win at Texas prior to WWI, then I guess you have a point. Since then there have been more failures than successes at even getting to the championship game. Mack is a pretty good coach; but he wasn't pushing 70 when he built his best teams at UNC and Texas.

Back