A Mr. Keith Watkins - Hit Nail on Head

texstinger

Dodd-Like
award in todays AJC letters to editors section. Clough and cousins have totally ignored reason GT was started in the first place. They won't bee happy till no one from Georgia gets in GT, just ivy league rejects. It all starts at the top and clough needs to be fired today.

I agree with you, but it won't happen. The powers in Georgia are all hacks from Athens, and when you've got someone like this running Tech, don't you have us right where you want us?

Originally posted by texstinger:
They won't bee happy till no one from Georgia gets in GT, just ivy league rejects. It all starts at the top and clough needs to be fired today.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">TS, where are you getting this from?
What is the percentage of Out-of-state students at the Institute. You keep saying "get Clough out", but I'm still having a hard time to see why.

I started school in Clough's second year. Graduated Fall 2000. Maybe because I saw the regime day in-day out. Lived with the mud and muck of new construction. Saw more than 500 million dollars raised and spent on campus.
Maybe I'm blinded but

The FOOTBALL issues are not the PRESIDENT's issues. End of Story, Open and Shut. Final Sum

The President doesn't get fired when faculty screw their students. Professors don't get fired when 1/3 of the class fails a test.

Why should Clough lose his job, when he's done it better than any other president we've had over the last 30 years.

Agree and disagree with you, GTg8r. Under Clough's leadership, GT raised $712 million, surpassing the initial goal by over $400 million. This was the largest fundraising effort by any institution in the state of Georgia ever and enabled the creation of 233 new undergraduate scholarships and graduate fellowships as well as 54 new endowed faculty chairs. It also funded 11 new buildings. The academic reputation of GT remains high and nationally visible. So I would say that President Clough is doing an exemplary job. However, football issues are also the president's issues, and he is ultimately responsible for the hiring and firing of the AD and all coaches. It's just not as high a priority as some people think it should be. I would hope at this point that Clough stays out of this fray until necessary. Emotions are obviously running high with lot of folks on this one.

texstinger, I'm also curious about your statement re out-of-state enrollment etc. Since I'm 500 miles away from the action, can you provide some specifics?

Down east,

Enrollment figures are available in a post titled
"Are we still Georgia Tech"

Texstinger is shooting from the hip, but a bit wide.

Thanks, GTg8r. I saw your post with the enrollment stats after I posted (TOO many posts flying around here). I don't believe there's a grand conspiracy to defraud GT of native Georgians as undergraduates but am still interested in the basis of texstinger's statement.

last figures I saw for instate enrollment were 60%. Up from the 50% when I was a rat 30 years ago... The Hope scholarship has helped Tech keep some home as well.

And, unless Braine was lying, being able to only recruit 9 of the top 50 S/A's in state is unacceptable. The TAXPAYERS of Georgia pay for this institute and that is where the first priority as regards enrollment should begin.

And, unless Braine was lying, being able to only recruit 9 of the top 50 S/A's in state is unacceptable. The TAXPAYERS of Georgia pay for this institute and that is where the first priority as regards enrollment should begin.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">With Regards to regular students, that is in fact the case. 7,339 students are from the state of Georgia.

With regards to Athletes, Shouldn't you want the group that can best succeed.

In what arena does it matter from where the participants hail?

If the team won with 85 pygmies, it wouldn't matter. Or would it TS?

I happen to think our chances will greatly increase for success on the field, and attendance wise, with the ability to service more S/A's from our home state.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think we have pretty much determined that Braine can "spin" with the best of them, so no I don't believe his comment about Ga. SA's (for what it's worth, O'Leary made the same claim). Also, how is Tech supposed to increase in state enrollment if the students are not getting prepared in Georgia's high schools? President Clough has done a great job and to continually harp on him is just ignorant.

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
last figures I saw for instate enrollment were 60%. Up from the 50% when I was a rat 30 years ago... The Hope scholarship has helped Tech keep some home as well.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Before HOPE, 65% of high school seniors when out of state - HOPE has reversed the movement to in state. Big article about this in the paper a few months ago - a lot to do with why academic standards are being raised, less slots to fill.

Back