AAF

Probably dumb for the XFL to relaunch and fold in a season or 2 as well. What are they going to different this time to get people to tune in/attend the equivalent of double AA baseball?

Stand for the anthem

Probably dumb for the XFL to relaunch and fold in a season or 2 as well. What are they going to different this time to get people to tune in/attend the equivalent of double AA baseball?

I would love for one of these leagues to be successful because it would allow more guys to chase their dreams of continuing to play football. But I wonder how much money has been flushed over the years trying to make this work when there isn't really a market for it.

I would love for one of these leagues to be successful because it would allow more guys to chase their dreams of continuing to play football. But I wonder how much money has been flushed over the years trying to make this work when there isn't really a market for it.

It is really similar to the arguments about women’s sports. If there’s not enough market demand for it, what can you do?

What if the team was basically all alums from your college, wearing the colors and name of the college, and playing in the stadium? All these huge college stadiums sit idle 8 months a year. Imagine a team of GT alums, wearing the white and gold, strapping it up in Bobby Dodd to play a UGA alum team? Tap the market and branding that is already proven. Instead of the unknowns in the AAF, you already know the players. I don't know, but I'm sure I'd have more interest in something like that. You think people in Tuscaloosa and Knoxville are not going to show up for another chance to tailgate and cheer on the old guard? Just thinking about who would be on the team is an interesting concept and would be a pretty popular thread.

What if the team was basically all alums from your college, wearing the colors and name of the college, and playing in the stadium? All these huge college stadiums sit idle 8 months a year. Imagine a team of GT alums, wearing the white and gold, strapping it up in Bobby Dodd to play a UGA alum team? Tap the market and branding that is already proven. Instead of the unknowns in the AAF, you already know the players. I don't know, but I'm sure I'd have more interest in something like that. You think people in Tuscaloosa and Knoxville are not going to show up for another chance to tailgate and cheer on the old guard? Just thinking about who would be on the team is an interesting concept and would be a pretty popular thread.

Dude, that would be extremely cool.

Given the makeup of our teams the last 10 years, it would probably make sense to have CPJ as the head coach. lol. JT5 would be the natural choice at QB. The roster could be a mix of recent alums who didn't quite make it and guys who are aging out of the NFL but could still probably play a couple more years (like Bebe). In a few years, maybe we hand the head coaching reins over to Godsey.

Last edited:
And we can bring back Paul Johnson as coach!

That is kind of what they were trying to do. They were limiting rosters to local schools. Few playeres from TECH and uga on the team.

If you are looking for enough alums from one school to do a decent team that would be hard. Most kids see they aren't gonna get rich from ball and head for that 40 yera plan, especiallt TECH kids.

That is kind of what they were trying to do. They were limiting rosters to local schools. Few playeres from TECH and uga on the team.

If you are looking for enough alums from one school to do a decent team that would be hard. Most kids see they aren't gonna get rich from ball and head for that 40 yera plan, especiallt TECH kids.

This is true. Fun thought exercise though

Yeah, lots of guys have good jobs and are also out of shape. Tons of problems with it. It would be like a glorified rec league. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun.

Watch some things come to the NFL (Especially Sky Judge and the in-picture ads to reduce game time).
It sucks to lose some offseason football, but this seemed inevitable, but lots of folded leagues in good terms with the NFL produce good ideas that the league later incorporates themselves.

I heard Denver actually proposed the onside kick rule for the NFL

It is really similar to the arguments about women’s sports. If there’s not enough market demand for it, what can you do?
Require universities to pump money into it in hopes of generating a market over time, apparently.

Require universities to pump money into it in hopes of generating a market over time, apparently.

It isn’t about generating a market, it is about equality, right? Even if your student population isn’t equally men and women.

It isn’t about generating a market, it is about equality, right? Even if your student population isn’t equally men and women.
I think 'gender equity' advocates believe that with enough investment a self-sustaining market will ultimately develop. They don't want to rely upon forcing people at the point of a gun forever.

And actually, you *can* achieve Title IX compliance by spending in proportion to the school's student body make-up – though interestingly it has been hard to persuade colleges to use that test, because they so fear lawsuits over Title IX compliance and so prefer to just spend 50/50.

A colleague of mine (an attorney) was trying to start a practice advocating for proportional funding but discovered that colleges resisted the advice, even though it's perfectly legal.

Back