ABC

toe meets leather

Flats Noob
saw an old friend yesterday, i havent seen in about 25 yrs, an old tech fan like myself, grew up around john a white park. he says chan has only one more season. the ABC means anybody but chan, mike stoops, norm chow, bud foster,jimmy robinson,chris hatcher.

Went to high school with Hatcher and would love to see him get hired onto the staff now and take over down the road (WHENEVER that happens).

Talked with a friend who graduated with my father at GT. He lettered 4 years for Dodd. He clams Coach Gailey is a good coach and will do well.

held a lunch meeting with some old folks

heisman and dodd concurred that gailey will do well as head coach at tech

bill alexander and pepper rogers were non committal and deferred

george o'leary was in tears for leaving the program and didn't have anything to add to the discussion except how sorry he was .. on a side note .. bill curry spent the entire time either slobbering on soup or consoling o'leary .. claimed that he understood what o'leary went through when he left for a "better" place

bill lewis was sure that nobody else could take the program to the depths that he did

bobby ross wanted gailey to do well but had his doubts along with bud carson

bill fulcher hoped that gailey would last longer at Tech than he did but wasn't quite sure if gailey had it in him

Originally posted by ylojk8:

george o'leary was in tears for leaving the program and didn't have anything to add to the discussion except how sorry he was .. on a side note .. bill curry spent the entire time either slobbering on soup or consoling o'leary .. claimed that he understood what o'leary went through when he left for a "better" place
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ylo,
Did George mention anything about the $1.5 mil that he owes the program?
horse.gif

Originally posted by toe meets leather:
saw an old friend yesterday, i havent seen in about 25 yrs, an old tech fan like myself, grew up around john a white park. he says chan has only one more season. the ABC means anybody but chan, mike stoops, norm chow, bud foster,jimmy robinson,chris hatcher.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Did he happen to tell you what our record would be and the scores of the games because I'd like to get to the bookie?

wtf.gif

Originally posted by ContactBuzz:
Ylo,
Did George mention anything about the $1.5 mil that he owes the program?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">CB .. i dunno about the payout man .. but i ended up picking his tab

Originally posted by toe meets leather:
he feels we win 4,5 or 6 games at the most.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Come on - I can't take that to the bookie. If he knows that CCG will be gone in exactly 1 year, then surely (no, I didn't call you Shirley) he can give me some solid predictions to take to Vegas.
rolleyes.gif

your post was made fun of because it contains nothing of substance. "an old friend", i.e., i've been to a few Tech games over the years (he may even be a season ticket holder). why should that mean squat to us. if it isnt Dave Braine or Dr. Clough, at least tell us he stayed in a Holiday Innn Express the night before you saw him.

I too grew up around John A. White Park in southwest Atlanta and played many 9-hole rounds of golf at 50 cents per round on its sainted turf, clad in tennis shoes and carrying my "set" of clubs, consisting of 1 and 3 woods and 3,5,7,9 irons plus putter.

Aside from myself and toe meets leather, other GT luminaries that grew up in the vicinity include Kim King, Bill Kinard, and from an older generation, Pepper Rodgers and John Hunsinger. So if toe meets leather heard his information from any of those sources, I am quite sure some credence should be given...after all, IIGEFKIGEFM (If It's Good Enough For Kim, It's Good Enough For Me)
wink.gif
...For a picture of Kim setting out to play good ol' John A. in a recent outing:
www.westendboys.org

toe,
You and your friend may be right, Chan may be gone after next year. But,the thing that concerns me about this post is that it seems some people would like for Chan not to succeed in order to get rid of him.

My point is:
1. If Chan has done something those like me on the outside don't know about that harms the program (such as NCAA violations, loss of control of his players, etc.) then we should fire Chan immediately. We can hire a coach by explaining why Chan was let go. There has been no indication publicly that Chan has done anything like that. I'll admit I make a contribution to A-T and buy tickets but I have no insider information about the program so I trust Braine to know what is going on with the program and make the appropriate decisions.

2. If Chan has not done anything like 1, then every Tech fan should support the program and see how it goes next year. If the program has not made progress, then it may be time to fire Chan. I hope nobody with significant influence in the program wants to fire Chan without giving him that chance UNLESS he has done something I mentioned in number 1 in which case we should not be giving him that chance.

Your post suggests to me that someone wants Chan gone. If so and if that person is an influential alum, I hope there are very good reasons and it is not just because who he wanted hired was not hired. Without those very good reasons, Chan deserves our full support for the 2003 season.

Originally posted by GTwig63:
I too grew up around John A. White Park in southwest Atlanta and played many 9-hole rounds of golf at 50 cents per round on its sainted turf, clad in tennis shoes and carrying my "set" of clubs, consisting of 1 and 3 woods and 3,5,7,9 irons plus putter.

Aside from myself and toe meets leather, other GT luminaries that grew up in the vicinity include Kim King, Bill Kinard, and from an older generation, Pepper Rodgers and John Hunsinger. So if toe meets leather heard his information from any of those sources, I am quite sure some credence should be given...after all, IIGEFKIGEFM (If It's Good Enough For Kim, It's Good Enough For Me)
wink.gif
...For a picture of Kim setting out to play good ol' John A. in a recent outing:
www.westendboys.org
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If I were a betting man, I would feel very safe putting my money on Gailey being here for the 1st game of the 3rd season {that means the original post that's being made fun of is wrong}.

DB's history as an AD suggests that he stands behind his coaches through thick and thin (and we aren't even close to thin yet). There are only a couple of scenarios that support the original claim that Gailey will not be back for a 3rd year.

1 - DB will gone also. Looking at GT athletics as a whole, that would be a huge mistake.

2 - Someone knocks Gailey off. In that case, you may want to be wary of whom you hang out with. Some call it premeditation.

3 - Alien abduction. Unlikely, if I know aliens as well as I think I do, they'd abduct a politician or a scientist, not a football coach.

i don't know about the alien abduction theory CB. my friend of 25 years who grew up in mars told me that the martian gurphles just fired their 1st year head coach who went 7-5 in the regular season and lost the post season game to the pluto plyggjugs.

gailey might be a good fit to lead the gurphles ..

Ylojk8, you left one of the Tech coaches out of the series of remarks. Do you know which one? If you do, what did he say?

grin.gif

ahso .. if you're referring to Mac as the interim head coach for the seattle bowl .. lol

but if you know of some coaches we had prior to john heisman .. i am stumped and have no idea ..

oh and mac wasn't invited to the luncheon .. it was only for the big boys .. gailey wasn't invited either cause he too has to prove or disprove himself

Back