'Academic progress' could really hurt good schools & redshirting

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
\'Academic progress\' could really hurt good schools & redshirting

Here in this SI article on the new NCAA bylaws of academic progress put into effect this season were a number of off shoots that caught my eye. Myles Brand, NCAA President says "if u want to play college athletics, u better be a college student". But it will change a lot of the HC's & staff's outlook.
1)'There is also concern that the new progress requirements will discourage players from pursuing challenging majors, or even changing majors, for fear of losing eligibility'. (This could REALLT HURT a school like Ga Tech).
2)(RSing will certainly be viewed differently). 'For one, coaches may have to alter their approach to redshirts. Under the new system, if a freshman is deemed a risk to eventually fall behind in the classroom, you might as well play him right away and save that redshirt in the event he has to sit out a year down the road'. (The S/A may not have the time to grow into the system of the program or the school).
3)'Then there is the potentially disastrous effect they could have on junior college recruits, who have become so crucial to some Division I-A programs. Not only are these players more prone to be academically challenged, but they may need to attend summer sessions to gain the necessary credits, which, at a budget-strapped juco program, may not always be available. And seeing as most I-A coaches are looking for immediate help when they tap a juco player, they may be turned off if the player needs a redshirt a year to catch up academically'. (Ga Tech will probably NEVER take another JC).

Here is the article which is very interesting.

New 'academic reforms' by the NCAA

Re: \'Academic progress\' could really hurt good schools & redshirting

It's always amazing to me that well-intentioned people will design elaborate processes to "improve" things, yet they never seem to play out any scenarios to test their hypothesis. Here we have a new NCAA proposal that one mediocre writer finds 3 faults with at first pass. Wonder if the brainy boys who thought this up considered how something like this would play out in real life?

This really is scary, but I have a feeling that some of it will be revised. The quality of the product stands to be diminished if players are flunking out everywhere. Something needs to be done, but this is like cutting off a leg instead of going on a diet.

How about that dummy at OK. Gerald Gurney, the associate AD out there said foolishly that football coaches had better get involved with the academic progress of their players. What is HE thinking? Thank goodness we have a guy at Tech that gets it!

I know that when I was in college, I didn't graduate in four years, as is the case with many students. And I wasn't an athlete nor was I in med school. I think you will probably get some good students athletes netted by this rule or see some students FORCED to "dumb down" their majors - just to be safe. Why would any Tech athlete start of in the EE program now, one that is known for causing academic casualties by all students, not just athletes? If they realize they have made a mistake, getting out of that major could kill their eligibility.

The New Testament says something about when you clean the house of one evil spirit, seven new ones come in to take its place.

Exactly, NCJacket, real life scenarios will be much different than 'envisioned' scenarios. As u say, if a SI writer jumps on this right off just think what Coaching Staffs must be coming up with.Instead of helping schools with high academic standards this could be the 'death knell' for many major programs.
Excellent pts, JJacket, as that is my pt also. Why risk ineligibility in the 1st yr trying to accomplish a tough course load? Who will want to try the 'Tech' load when Aub & Cen Fla are availiable?
Being 40% to an Industrial Management degree is a WHOLE LOT different than being 40% along in 'Parks & Recreation'. My goodness, this is a dagger to GT.

Back