ACC Coaching Changes?

Father WASP

Flats Noob
The hottest seat has to Bunting's at UNC. Normally, the guy gets 4 years minimum being an alum at a basketball school. But UNC is so horrible and going backwards, I predict after Duke beats them he's gone.

Second hotest may end up being Bowden at Clemson. They are doing their annual plea for a third-tier bowl solely on ticket sales, but if they lose 2 of their last three, especially to USC, he's gonna feel some heat.

The scaredest person has to be Amato, taking NCS on the road to Maryland, who is the hottest team in the conference. Tech blew a big hole in their confidence, should be an interesting game. Classic case of why teams should play tough, non-conference games early rather than load up on patsies. Friedgen was playing Notre Dame while State got statistically rich vs. East Tennessee.

I agree re NCState, EiT, I hope they win out too and kick Big 12 or SEC butt somewhere.

UNC had all kinds of turmoil in the off-season, and since their second half vs UVA have absolutely tanked. It is telling that we did not do the same thing after Maryland. But we have better (even "superior", some would say) coaches.

Originally posted by Father WASP:
The hottest seat has to Bunting's at UNC. Normally, the guy gets 4 years minimum being an alum at a basketball school. But UNC is so horrible and going backwards, I predict after Duke beats them he's gone.

Second hotest may end up being Bowden at Clemson. They are doing their annual plea for a third-tier bowl solely on ticket sales, but if they lose 2 of their last three, especially to USC, he's gonna feel some heat.

The scaredest person has to be Amato, taking NCS on the road to Maryland, who is the hottest team in the conference. Tech blew a big hole in their confidence, should be an interesting game. Classic case of why teams should play tough, non-conference games early rather than load up on patsies. Friedgen was playing Notre Dame while State got statistically rich vs. East Tennessee.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Wasp,
At this point, I don't think Bunting's seat is hot. If they tank next year, it'll get really hot. Everyone knew before the season that UNC had lost alot of talent.

The hottest seat in the ACC right now is Mr. Bowden's seat up at Clemson. After the NC State debacle, the natives are restless. He had better get that ship heading in the right direction soon, or he'll be outta there. To me, it's pretty obvious that he isn't the answer. Maybe I'm wrong. But I don't think he's capable of developing a championship calibre program at Clemson. I think he's in trouble.

I agree with you Bugboy... although I know NC is disappointed this year.. I think they will give Bunting some slack... Bowden is on the hottest seat in the ACC... not much progress being made at Clemson...

Concur Bug and Jacketguy that UNC will give Bunting one more year to get his program in place. T. Bowden is probably out at Clem&son. He really has been a disappointment to them. Dadgumit, he did beat GT the last 2 years which really irks me.

pat.gif
pat.gif

Bunting has a seriously good recruiting class going on, so will be allowed to play out his own players for a yr or 2 more, but this really bad 2-7 0-5 season has startled NCar fans.
Bowden is in hot water, but a Bowl game buys him another yr.
Carl Franks is in the most trouble. Duke has not advanced 1 iota in his tenure & has NO prospects of a recruiting class. Duke is a program in serious need of George O'Leary! & the defensive co-ord would stay.

I am rooting for Maryland.

Maryland will whip NCST and FSU will lose to NCST and GT.

Hot seat? Definitely Bowden. Bunting gets another year. Franks' seat is toasty as well.

I agree that Bunting is safe. UNC lost 9 starters on defense. The defensive coordinator may end up going. Tommy Bowden was 15 minutes from being fired at Duke. For Bowden, it probably this: 7-5 or better - safe, 6 -6 probably safe, 5-7 gone. Franks need to be Tech or Carolina to stay. I don't think he can survive another winless ACC campaign.

Living up here on Tobacco Road I don't see any real hue and cry to get Bunting out this year. I actually think he has 2 more years minimum but certainly nothing is going to happen this year.

UNC's AD Baddur does not need another coaching poition to fill right now. As Bunting is his choice he doesn't have much choice but to give him a lot of rope. IMHO Baddur is on a hotter seat than Bunting.

But I do agree about Bowden. I grew up in Greenville and the folks I know down there ain't going to put up with what is going on there.

Well for the ACC sake I'd like to see NC State get it together and win out and win their BCS bowl. I don't want FSU to go to the BCS with 3+ losses. As much as I like the Fridge I think the Maryland Bandwagon fans need to be taken down a peg or two.

I'm really suprised by how far UNC has fallen this year. I hope you're right and Duke pulls it off against them. I think Bunting probably deserves one more year. I guess their AD should figure out who he might get to replace him though.

I think Bowden has to be on the hot seat (tommy)

I don't think anyone is on the hot seat in the ACC this year, unless it would be Franks. Since he has won a couple, and played a few more close games, he may have staved off the grim reaper for this year.

I believe Buntimg will have at least next year to improve, and Clemson will give Terry at least one more year.

The only Bowden that might opt out would be Bobby, if he loses to Tech and NCSU.

wink.gif

Agree Ahsoisee, I don't think there are any changes this year in the ACC. Franks has shown improvement and will be given at least one more year. Bunting is good for one or two more unless there is a dramatic slide next year. Bowden could be in the most trouble if they are IMO. If they don't win next year he could be gone. I can almost see a scenario where he doesn't come back next year if they get really crushed by USC but I think he gets one more year to show some improvment.

Back