ACC Expansion News

bellyseries

Dodd-Like
Thanks, jacketguy. Trangese sounds pretty upset; maybe something is going on.

I doubt there's anything new going on, just that Trangese is reading the writing on the wall. Whether it's the ACC or another conference, the football schools in the Big East will be approached as the next round of conference realignment starts. The only question is when. Since the Big East is more of a basketball conference they stand to lose if schools like Miami, VT, BC and Syracuse decide they need a real all sports conference. While I'm sure the ACC has spoken with all those schools (and probably others not in the Big East) my guess is he's trying to head things off by going public.

i believe that when the current BCS contract expires (2005 i believe) we will see conference expansion in the ACC and the big east will most likely fold.

god knows what will happen though. UVA and UMD seem to be getting fed up of the tobacky road schools and clemson, GT and FSU are the football clique of the ACC ..

I thought some of you might appreciate reading this thread from the Miami message board... rumor is that the ACC and Miami may be a done deal.. just rumor though..

LINK

Also, this article was an interesting read. Apparently, the Big East Commissioner is upset with the ACC officials in regards to their pursuit of Big East teams to join the ACC...

Link: Big East Commish Upset

I thought this may be interesting to some on the board, I seem to remember a thread some months back where we discussed the expansion possibilities...

I agree with NCJacket, won't happen. As much as we need it, the Duke's and Wake's who are more concerned with how many basketball tickets they get will vote it down. Us wishers would love a conference that had Tech, FSU, Miami and Clemson in the south and add VA Tech to strengthen the north. Syracuse makes no sense though.

I am of the opinion that it will happen... and I think the teams added will be Miami, Syracuse, and Boston College. Although some think the third would be Virginia Tech. The link below is a good analysis given by someone on the Virginia Tech board... it was written in 1999, but contains a good perspective.

ACC EXPANSION ARTICLE

I also agree with ylo .. I think the BCS contract date will spur alot of movement as it relates to conferences.

My macro theory is that we will end up with 4 super conferences that will lead to a National Championship game... but feel that this scenario could be a decade or more away...

Personally, I would like the teams that would be good access to vacationing when attending out of town games.

I have no desire to go to Miami, but think Boston and the surrounding area is a good vacation spot. Also, Virginia Tech is a good vacation spot for the mountains.

smile.gif

I think expansion will happen and be nothing but a positive for this conference. ACC in the last 5 years is now getting some of the top bluechip players into the ACC ... this can do nothing but enhance that and the competition.

Just to clarify, I think we will see expansion but not in the very near future. Somebody will make a move, whether it's Penn St leaving the Big 10 or something, and the flood gates will open. I think the ACC will have to make some moves then. I just don't see it in the next couple of years, especially with the basketball schools being against it. Which to me is interesting because what I think the larger conferences have proven is that with more teams in your league you get more in the NCAAs. For major college conferences, it just gives you more chances of teams having winning conference records which has become almost a requirement for the selection committee. There's no doubt if the ACC had 12 teams we would be seeing 6 in the NCAAs per year IMO. And as we all know, that just means more $$$.

I'm for expansion. But I hope for every "Miami" that is added, a "Weak Florist" is also added. That would assure the same overall level of competition from top to bottom in the conference.
I was the happiest guy around when FSU joined the conference...but now, after having been OWNED by them...My opinion of just how great that move was has been reassessed. East Carolina and Central Florida should be considered when teams like Miami are brought on board.
BOO

BDG agree partially with you but I would like to see a balanced conference and strong from top to bottom. We don't need a Vandy, or Tulane. We do need Miami, and any others who will fill out the conference to equal or surpass the Probation Conference. Would Cuse and W Vir. do, I'm not so sure, maybe BC? Lets hope that the snuff dippers up in NC don't boycott expansion. If they do then we and others maybe Md., Vir., Clem., FSU, and maybe one or two other join to form a super conference.

I'd like to see VT, WV & Miami with Penn St going to the Big East where they belong.

VT, UVA & WV are already natural rivalries, as well as MD; and FSU, Miami, GT & Clemson all have a past.

Throw in the cowboy killers and you've got a pretty dadgum good ACC.

Syracuse & BC are arguably good options but they're just too far North. If there's to be a Big East, and I think there should be, they belong in it.

I'm for expansion too, but NOT without making the necessary forward thinking structural changes necessary to compete with the likes of VT & Miami. Imagine playing Miami, VT, Clemson, ugag, & fsu every year with a roster with one or no draftees! Geesh! THWG

Wonder if one plan might be to find 2 good football schools and then throw a bone to the Duke/Wake/UNC cartel by adding a basketball school. Mayber a Vandy or Pitt (I know their football has been good lately, but will that last?)

Here's an even better idea...why don't Ga. Tech and Clemson or FSU join a 14 member SEC? I just couldn't help but shoot that dead horse one more time(but, oh wouldn't it be great back where we belong?).
BOO

I think the addition of Virginia Tech and West Virginia (or Vanderbilt) would be good.

I don't know if I want Miami AND Florida State up top in the ACC. It seems like the conference is finally starting to catch up with the Criminoles and establish more than one team per year as legitimate conference championship contenders. With the addition of a Miami, we would all be contending for 2nd place over Florida State and nothing more for quite some time.

With Virginia Tech, we have a very competitive conference with regional rivalries added and a team that won't dominate the entire conference for the next decade or more.

Then again, I'm just a rambling teenager.
drinking.gif

BDG, we don't belong in the probation conf. we would be judged guilty by association.

Here's another slant on the expansion landscape & the 2 facedness of the BigEast from the Philadelphia Inquirer & TEMPLE U perspective. Kinda humorous the way they 'gig' the Big E.

Is the Big E 2 faced?

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
BDG, we don't belong in the probation conf. we would be judged guilty by association.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">OF: Agree - SEC is NOT where we should be! We need to enhance the ACC.

Back