ACC Expansion!!

MsTechAnalysis

Jolly Good Fellow
To get away from our issues - hooray for the ACC and hopefully the 3 teams will all say yes!!

However our situation plays out - this is such a positive move for our conference and I'm hoping -
Miami, BC and Syracuse join us!!

MTA,
Thanks for injecting some modicum of sanity back into the board. Expansion,imho, will be great for the ACC in all sports and media markets.

drinking.gif
rolleyes.gif

I agree, this will begin a resurgence for the ACC. Would have rather seen VT and UM as the 2 main adds and stayed out of the NE but guess Syr or BC one or the other had to be the 3rd reputable add. Too bad WV wasn't considered, that would have kept it basically a coastal, SE/mid Atlantic flavor.

MsTech, my wife and I have vacationed in the Northeast section one time, using Boston as our base of operations. It is a good area of the US to visit.

You can be assured we will go to the first game up their and combine it with a vacation period.

My wife does not like athletics, but she will attend the games if she can get a little vacation with it.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
MsTech, my wife and I have vacationed in the Northeast section one time, using Boston as our base of operations. It is a good area of the US to visit.

You can be assured we will go to the first game up their and combine it with a vacation period.

My wife does not like athletics, but she will attend the games if she can get a little vacation with it.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">AH: I would be more the HAPPY to show you around and give you insight on some wonderful places and things to do outside of BC's most beautiful New England campus!!
smile.gif

Is there a time frame for these 3 schools to say yes? It seems to me I heard something but can't remember. I would think a month or so because there would be so much that needs to be done before 2005.

Anyone know???

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
I agree, this will begin a resurgence for the ACC. Would have rather seen VT and UM as the 2 main adds and stayed out of the NE but guess Syr or BC one or the other had to be the 3rd reputable add. Too bad WV wasn't considered, that would have kept it basically a coastal, SE/mid Atlantic flavor.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I totally agree, ramblinwise. Under the circumstances, I have a better idea.

Add all five schools in question, and go to a 14 team ACC. The Big East will likely dissolve anyway, so take VT and WV, too. The two divisions could then be formed without totally disregarding geography. Put the five former Big East schools in the North Division along with Virginia and Maryland. The four tobacco road schools can be placed in the South Division:

North Division

Boston College
Syracuse
Miami
Maryland
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

South Division

Clemson
Duke
FSU
GT
UNC
NC State
Wake Forest

The Big East has an "out clause" for schools wishing to leave the conference. If UM, SU, and BC notify the Big East that they will be joining the ACC in 2004 by June 30, they can leave with a $1 million payout. If they wait until after July 1, the payout increases to $2 million. So I believe we'll know by June 30 at the latest.

However, we probably won't know anything before the first of June, at the earliest. ACC by-laws require conference officials to visit each school being considered for expansion. With the BE meetings this week and the Memorial Day holiday coming up, those visits won't occur until next week at best.

June is the most popular month for weddings. Will the ACC get three more wives, or will it be left at the altar?

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Sometimes you have to read between the lines. I thought both Virginia Tech and Virginia were fighting to have VT as one of the teams invited to join the ACC.

If so, why should Beamer be stating the following quote from the Big East Meeting yesterday?

Beamer said, "I just hope we can find a way to keep our league together. This is really a good conference. It doesn't need to break up."

Huh?
confused.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That's easy, Ahso. They both were fighting to get VT in the ACC. When Beamer saw that his school was the "odd man out", he made his statement. If VT can't join the ACC, better for them to keep the Big East intact.
wink.gif

Sometimes you have to read between the lines. I thought both Virginia Tech and Virginia were fighting to have VT as one of the teams invited to join the ACC.

If so, why should Beamer be stating the following quote from the Big East Meeting yesterday?

Beamer said, "I just hope we can find a way to keep our league together. This is really a good conference. It doesn't need to break up."

Huh?
confused.gif

Back