ACC going to 12 teams (Miami AD makes presentation to board)

Some one pray tell me how would we be able to compete if this were to come to pass? With the likes of these schools having easy courses of study (PE, Basket Weaving, (spelling which I can't do), etc). All we have to do is look at FSU.

I think there is a pretty good possibility that miami and F$U will be in different brackets. they will play each other every year ala ugag and auburn.

This is a good move. We can get duke/wakeforest off our schedule.

with the pressures of strong schedule you have to have good conference and then you schedule weak out of conference

this cannot but help us. the competition decides how good you are.

I hope the expansion happens... the competition will be good for us and maybe it will force some other needed changes at Tech... although we havent beaten FSU since they joined the league, I feel that our program has been elevated because we play them every year... I hope this happens !

Agree...
It's about time! I would love to see the competition upgraded ... it does nothing but enhance the ACC and each team in it. Recruiting will only get better.
smile.gif

If you break the teams down geographically, it would seem to me GT, FSU, Miami, Clemson, and two of the North Carolina teams would be in the same division (maybe North Carolina and Duke because of the Raliegh Airport).

The other would be made up of Boston College, Syracuse, Maryland, Virginia, and the remaining two teams from North Carolina (possibly NCSU and Wake Forest).

The two toughest teams on our schedule would be Miami and FSU, with FSU slowly dropping from its position as a dominant team (Bowden won't be around forever).

If we played the other five teams in our division and lost all of them, it would only be five losses in a twelve game season. It is possible, we could win all five of our games.

We would probably pick up a sixth game on a rotating basis from one of ACC teams in the other division. We would have the advantage of playing many games outside the conference.

This would allow us a lot of flexibility in scheduling and would help each team in the ACC to have a winning season without beating up on each other. This is how the SEC and other leagues get more bowl games.

The perfect division out of some conference would be GT in a division with FSU (or Florida), Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, Tennessee. We would still have UGA as our seasonal, traditional in-State rival.

Just dreaming.

grin.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
If you break the teams down geographically, it would seem to me GT, FSU, Miami, Clemson, and two of the North Carolina teams would be in the same division (maybe North Carolina and Duke because of the Raliegh Airport).

The other would be made up of Boston College, Syracuse, Maryland, Virginia, and the remaining two teams from North Carolina (possibly NCSU and Wake Forest).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It would make the most sense if the Carolina schools would allow the geographical division but from what I understand, the Carolina schools would only accept expansion IF they're all in the same division. With the recent expansion talk, does anyone know if the Carolina schools have relaxed their stance on all being in the same division?

Why not say bye-bye to any tobacco road schools who are too sniffy to expand, and take VT,UConn, Navy and Louisville (in that order) to replace them. We can have a conference without NC schools.

I really do not think geography is going to the be the ultimate determination. I think we could end up w/ Maryland and Miami could go with the carolina schools.

Because miami WAS in the bigeast any geography would be better than they had now.

I do believe that F$U and Miami would be split up, but I guess I could be wrong.

Good grief, Charlie Brown! We do not have to be in the same conference to play UGA. It appears to me, the four North Carolina schools could still play each other even if they were not in the same division.

It sounds unbelievable that Belly and I would agree, but I would say to the NC schools, "if you want expansion, only on your terms, don't let the door hit you in the rear when you leave".

grin.gif

I'm sure we agree on much, ahso. Politics isn't everything. Nor is theology.

I think GT, Clem, FSU, Miami, Md, UVA, VT, BC and Syracuse would make a heck of a core conference.Attractive maybe to Penn St and ND, not to mention UConn and Navy.

Re: Geographic Breakdown...

Don't ask me why, but Miami would prefer to be in a Northern Geographic region.
I don't understand why(blame the dolphins) but the majority of Miami paid supporters are in the northeast.
The majority of their student body consist of students who did not want to stay in the cold for four years during college. They return home after graduation. Down here UM is known as Suntan U.

So in all of your divisional breakdowns, put Miami opposite FSU.

Florida has long been known as State populated by those from the far Northern States.

The only thing I don't understand, is why Miami would want to play in the North during winter while most of the Northern Floridians are in Miami during the winter.

confused.gif

I think the tide is changing in the ACC. It's still the best basketball conference in the country and the NC schools carried a lot of CLOUT because of it ... but the times they are changing.

In the last 5 years it has now made itself a very decent and respectable football conference as well and the NC schools don't/won't carry the kind of clout they use to. This is an opportunity to become one of the best conferences for both sports and an opportunity for more national recognition. Basketball is going to have to share the limelight with football and that is a very big positive for all of us in the conference.

Miami is the big player in this equation. If they come in, I can see others following like VT, BC, Syracuse or even Penn State. I like it, I hope it happens!!!
blue.gif

I love the idea of this expansion and alot of you made good points. I know that it would be a few years before the actual switch was made, but when would you expect the decisions to be made by the schools and conference to switch if they choose to do so?

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Florida has long been known as State populated by those from the far Northern States.

The only thing I don't understand, is why Miami would want to play in the North during winter while most of the Northern Floridians are in Miami during the winter.

confused.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">um...ah that's a bit confusing.
Here in North Florida, they pretty much hate South Florida the way the rest of Ga. hates Atlanta. They presume South Florida to be complete gridlock and pavement and well-off old folks. That perception has caused a number of the problems in this state. The legislature caters to South Floridians because of their population and tax base, while north florida languishes about 50 years behind becuase of a lack of industry. It's very rural here.

Again, the key point Miami's paying fanbase is in the New York-New Jersey metro area. A distinct Few of their fans are local to South Florida. Most of those cannot afford to make "donations".

However they will buy multiple jerseys because "kids love the swoosh"

I'm not really clued in to how Syr. and BC are good additions, though.

My 1.5 cents: Go for it. I was not of this pursuasion two years ago, but think the time to act is now. Reasons I am "pro".

1. I really thing the Big 12 and Pac 10 have become equal or superior to the SEC. O.K., (some of you), "Cry me a River"....anyhow I think it is true.
2. I am so sick of hearing of the superiority of the SEC (it is living off history).
3. The basketball boast of being "BEST" that has been the ACC's for so long is the same as that of the SEC in football: History.
4. Granted ole time reputation can help in recruiting, but in one humble man's opinion, "things, they are ah changing.

To me life is over and over faced with this proposition: "Get In, Get Out, Or get run over".

I think if the Acc does not get in on what is happening (and soon) it is "get squashed" time.

Thank you for reading.
smile.gif

It would make for a stronger conference, but a tougher row to hoe for Ga. Tech. Our backs are already up against the wall, so why not, let's go for it.
BOO

GTg8r, I should have included the word South. South Florida, especially Miami, has always had a large influx of people from the Northern States.

Many of them had two homes, their summer home in the North and their winter homes in Florida. After they retired, many of them would sell their homes up North and stay in Florida.

Although there are a lot of Northerners in all parts of Florida, most of them were situated around the Miami area and the St. Petersburg area. That is the reason I made the statement, "the Northern Floridians (around Miami) should be in Miami at their winter homes".

Since there has been such a huge influx of Hispanics into South Florida, I don't know how the population stacks up there now.

smile.gif

Back