ACC May Pull An 0’fer In Conference Bowl Wins*

vapspwi

Dodd-Like
I don't "blindly" pull for ACC teams, but I also don't do the equally mindless opposite. Often, like if it's VPI vs Miami, or an SEC game, I just pray that Bane shows up.
Pretty much this. I like the ACC to do well, just so I don’t have to listen to people running down the whole conference and denigrating our (potential future) wins because “yeah, but the ACC sucks!” For some of the teams, I’ll pull for them in a matchup I don’t care about just because I like, say, Wake better than Wisconsin.

But I’ll usually pull against Miami and don’t mind laughing at the misfortune of Carolina or Clemson.

JRjr

The Jacket

The Coat
Perhaps if your conference gets 2 teams in the playoffs, you risk all your conference's teams getting shifted up on the bowls totem pole to where they're playing teams that aren't an equal match.

For instance, 8-3 UNC vs. 8-1 TAMU wasn't an equal matchup--TAMU had two fewer losses.
Sure, but how do I fit this into my narrative of self-loathing? I try to add at least a splash of logic to it when I can, as long as it doesn't interfere with my impossibly smug air of inferiority.

theDude47

Dodd-Like
A lot of it had to do with Notre Dame and Clemson both getting into the playoffs and moving all our other teams up one notch. Notre Dame didn’t belong in the playoffs and would have done better had they been in a slightly better bowl.

The UK-NCSU game has a lot to do with Kentucky underperforming and having key people out for parts of the season. They are a better team than their record would indicate.

RoanokeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
On a positive note, our bowl record started declining once our bowl affiliations strengthened. It seemed like the ACC is underdogs in most bowls they play anymore, which means our opponents are typically good. Most of the teams played very competitively in each bowl this year despite the 0-fer status.
or it started declining when we started playing these glorified 13th regular season games with crappier teams.

Back when we had the best bowl record up to that point we had only gone to real bowls, not Detroit and Nashville and etc and etc

wesleyd21

Dodd-Like
Georgia Tech and FSU are the only 2 schools in the ACC who get any respect for their OOC games. All the other teams play OOC patsies...ESPECIALLY the Tobacco Road programs. That’s why no one will ever take them seriously.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
At least we didn’t travel to some Midwest minor city and get bootyblasted by a mid major to contribute to conference misery.