ACC means NO $$$'s

law_bee

Dodd-Like
ACC means NO $$$\'s

It is clear that this is going to come down to $$$'s and maybe we need to look at moving on.

The Big East would give us the farm right now to join.

These TV ratings are going to be killers and if we do not position ourselves we could be the odd man out.

Because of the small size of our stadium and other budgetary contraints GT needs to make the right call.

The fact is the ACC is full of small markets and are never going to have the TV ratings that will bring in the $$'s.

If NC schools want to keep Miami out I say we move on.

We should have seen this coming and got back in the SEC when we had the chance.

Re: ACC means NO $$$\'s

I hear what you are saying Lawbee... but in my opinion, its not so much that as it would be fact that we would allow ourselves to be held hostage by the NC schools...

For what its worth.. the SEC doesnt have what I would call major market power... Tuscaloosa, Knoxville, Starkville etc.. but like it or not, the SEC does have a good name brand which affords it the ability to demand the $$$ for TV contracts..

I read today that on both ESPN and ESPN2 that the ACC finished last in televised games (viewership) last fall... to me that is a telling stat.. for the ACC, its not only markets its also the brand identity.. adding Miami, Syracuse, and I would hope Virginia Tech would help that brand identity..

A thought just occurred to me, was the ACC represented on ESPN as much as the other leagues? If there are more teams and more occurrences by the other leagues on ESPN, then the statistics could be skewed.

wink.gif

ahsoisee, you could very well be right, but I'm not sure that matters in the world of TV contracts. If the advertisers think you are a hot commodity they will pay for commercials, if they don't see the ratings they won't. I don't know how far into the numbers those guys dig especially since the advertisers probably don't have the detail to tell anyway.

Back