AFA coach no fan of the playoff format

Why does he think it's rigged for the Power 5 conferences? I'm not saying it isn't, but there is nothing built in to the selection process that favors Power 5 teams.

The problem to me is people cannot have confidence in the selection process so long as there are no hard rules for ranking teams and there is little transparency. If we're not going to go to an expanded playoff, we should correct these problems with the committee.

Yeah, cause the BCS system was definitely not rigged towards the 6 BCS automatic bid conferences at all.

I do agree with his point, but it doesn't matter. At least for his team. AFA would have to have their best year ever and schedule high ranking teams just to qualify for an 8 team field.

I do agree with his point, but it doesn't matter. At least for his team. AFA would have to have their best year ever and schedule high ranking teams just to qualify for an 8 team field.

I mean he is right, but it's certainly not really worse than what preceded and 8 will probably come about eventually.

Why do you care how the food tastes when you're never going to get invited to supper?

You could design an 8 team playoff that guarantees every team an opportunity to be national champions. Such a system would also eliminate any sort of selection committee.

I mean he is right, but it's certainly not really worse than what preceded and 8 will probably come about eventually.

Why do you say this? The highest Marshall got as an undefeated team was 24?

2-loss Boise State who has 1 loss to the #9 team and another to 9-3 Air Force is #20?

The BCS was much nicer to undefeated or low loss G5 teams.

Why do you say this? The highest Marshall got as an undefeated team was 24?

2-loss Boise State who has 1 loss to the #9 team and another to 9-3 Air Force is #20?

The BCS was much nicer to undefeated or low loss G5 teams.

Marshall and Boise this year would of been in no way closer to playing for a national title under this system than they would of under the BCS.

I think the fact that Boise was essentially a FG kick away from playing for the national title under the BCS whereas the undefeated defending national champs from the ACC were nearly left out in the inaugural year of the playoff tells you just how impossible it will be for Group of 5 teams.

Any discussion of a playoff for the NATIONAL champion should include all conference winners.

There just aren't enough inter-league games.

The conferences need to be re-aligned to have equal number of teams in the top conferences and then have them divided up so there will be a championship for each conf.

This guy is right. It should be open to all participants. It would be as simple as taking all conference champions as a first step to qualification. If you are not in a conference you would be placed in one. Hopefully that would be no more than 16. I don't have time to look this up. Then you seed the teams 1 through 16 based on record, strength of schedule and whatever else you want as a criteria. Then start the playoff. All this other bull crap is just made up to insure the big boys get taken care of.

Go Jackets!

I don't really care about the Group of Five teams. It's not "fair", per se, but the bottom line is nobody really cares about them. They could take their ball and form their own league and the vast majority of college football fans wouldn't care...in fact, we would probably be happier because it would mean no more patsy games.

So while I understand his frustration, it's much more likely that the Power 5 forms a new division of football than it is that the Group of 5 gets equal access to the playoff.

Back