After 5 Games Offense continues to lag

Bibb Stinger

Varsity Lurker
After 5 games:
Tech ranks: 76th in total offense, 94th in scoring offense

Defense: 25th in total defense, 45th in scoring D.

Defense has given the ball to the offense a ton. Why aren't we scoring more?

There is an old saying..."when you keep do'n what you've been do'n your gonna get what you've been get'n" Put your pocket passer behind center and let your backs do their thing. GC thinks he has M.Vick in RB and that has been proven wrong way too many times.

Broken record:
OLine play creates too many obvious passing situations on 3rd down, and its hard to move chains when competion % hovers at 50% or below.

If only we had a future NFL Hall Of Fame receiver, an all-world backfield or an offensive-minded head coach.

Or all three.

[ QUOTE ]
a future NFL Hall Of Fame receiver, an all-world backfield or an offensive-minded head coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we got the wrong 2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugher.gif

Maybe we should start playing the likes of Boise State & Louisiana Monroe.

Maybe we should look for reasons to be successful instead of excuses to fail

Thru 5 games we have played 4 bowl teams from a year ago and the team that didn't go to a bowl had the #1 scoring D-fense in the nation a year ago.

But we still should have scored more than we have...I hate 30 being near impossible and 20 seeming like a great performance...I mean the defenses are made up of 20 year olds for christ's sake

Scoring points is great. Saying anything otherwise would be ridiculous!
Hi Yevah, as we all remember from the late '90s, scoring a lot of points doesn't guarantee a win everytime.

What I hope to see out CG's offense is ball control and field position. Winning 17-7 versus 40-30 is more satisfying, imo. Of course, in order to do that we need to keep the chains moving. When we don't score, field position should be in our favor. That also means we can't give up quick scores on 85 yard skinny posts.

There, simple! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we should look for reasons to be successful instead of excuses to fail

[/ QUOTE ]
No excuses, the offense could (& probably should) be better but we are going up against great defenses every week.

I don't care about offensive rankings (yardage or scoring) as long as we're outscoring our opponents every week.

Let's face the facts:
We have a QB with 30 starts,
we are deep at running back with a great starter,
All American wide receiver with a big good receiver opposite him,
4 years for the staff to get the right linemen in place.
The offense is not turning over the ball, and the defense is giving them several extra possessions per game.
This offense is as talented as Tech should ever expect. What’s the hold up?
The ball control/field position theory is a stretch with so many weapons on offense.
Doesn’t that argument mean that all those ‘bend but don’t break’ defensive schemes are working against us?
Didn’t we attempt 50+ passes against N.C. State?
I expect Gailey to contribute some of that vast offensive experience into scoring some points on game day.

[ QUOTE ]
Let's face the facts:
We have a QB with 30 starts,
we are deep at running back with a great starter,
All American wide receiver with a big good receiver opposite him,
4 years for the staff to get the right linemen in place.
The offense is not turning over the ball, and the defense is giving them several extra possessions per game.
This offense is as talented as Tech should ever expect. What’s the hold up?
The ball control/field position theory is a stretch with so many weapons on offense.
Doesn’t that argument mean that all those ‘bend but don’t break’ defensive schemes are working against us?
Didn’t we attempt 50+ passes against N.C. State?
I expect Gailey to contribute some of that vast offensive experience into scoring some points on game day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty much sums up the reasons I think we should be suceeding, and why it shows theres big issues because we are not consistant.

B Stinger, while your thoughts are 100% reasonable, there is no way I can ever envision a CG offense scoring a lot of points. Just will not happen. I don't think he wants to.

Everyone is beating around the bush on this one.

We have failed to recruit or develop the quantity or quality O-Linemen we need to be successful and it is completely negating the potential of the quality skill position players we have.

It is also making our defense look worse than it is because we give the opposition extra posessions. I have not run the numbers this year, but last year we were giving our opponents about 4-5 more possessions than the average. Also, remember that our offense / special teams are surrendering nearly 5 points per game and that turnovers created by the D have led to about 3 points per game when looking at the rankings.

It's all on Chan Gailey. He's juggling as fast as he can. Give him a couple of losing seasons and he may bring solidarity to this program, maybe not. Our demand that he not suffer an idiot season or two is unrealistic.

He needs to have the nads to make a move with his staff. I don't think he will. Fangs for the memories.

Welcome to TECH, coach, and so long.

[ QUOTE ]
. Our demand that he not suffer an idiot season or two is unrealistic.

He needs to have the nads to make a move with his staff. I don't think he will.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) What would an idiot season be?
2) What are the staff changes (besides ST)?

Our offense is not as bad as a first glance might make one believe. The fact is, we have faced some very strong defenses so far this year (excepting UNC).

Auburn:
We scored the most points (by far) of any team against Auburn so far this year. We scored the only first half points against Auburn all season. We are the only team to score a touchdown against Auburn's starting defense this year. (Only other TDs were late garbage TDs against their scrubs.)

UNC:
We had the most yardage against UNC of any opponent so far - yes, more than Louisville (475 yards vs. 451 yards).
We scored the second most points against UNC of anyone (although Louisville put us to shame in the points department).

UConn:
We had the most yards and points of any team against UConn (although this is a minor brag considering UConn's pitiful schedule.)

VPI:
There is no spinning this one - our point total and yardage were lousy in this game, better than only Duke and Ohio. However, VPI ranks nationally #1 in scoring defense, #2 in total defense, and #5 in pass efficiency defense, so they are about the most respectable team to be stuffed by.

NC State:
We had by far the best offensive performance of the season against NC State apart from placekicking performance, with 443 yards total offense. VPI had 232 yards and UNC 321 yards. VPI scored more points due to hitting their FGs, and UNC blocked a punt for a TD and had a 1 yard drive for a TD after a fumble.

We definitely have special teams problems and marginal red zone performance, but on the whole our offense is performing well compared to other teams against the same defenses.

If we can't move the ball and score points against Duke, Clemson, Wake Forest, and UVa (the worst defenses we will face) then it will be time to declare our offense bad.

"We definitely have special teams problems and marginal red zone performance, but on the whole our offense is performing well compared to other teams against the same defenses."
I'd say you summed it up pretty well with the first part of this statement.

"SPIN" is the the pivotal word in this post. This game is not about statistics. It's about wins, bowl games and championships. When we loose games that we're supposed to win and don't even show-up for games like VT..then it's time to get off the bullshit wagon and make some changes instead of trying to find silver linings in meaningless stats. And for pete's sake don't pat yourself on the back if you beat-up on Duke..wait and show us what your made of in Miami..because it's the Miami's of the ACC that will be in our way when it comes time for BCS selection. And if you don't think this is the gospel, ask one of those blue chips why they don't consider GT more seriously. (and it's not because their afraid of the academics..(that's a GT fan excuse)

Back